WikiLeaks about to hit the fan

failures art

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 09:55 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Of course. And some things that are protected shouldn't be leaked. I think that the distinction between a leaker and a whistleblower that John Dean was making here.

I haven't heard Ellsburg say that absolute transparency is an ideal. I think he has been quite clear that his battle was one of conscience between protecting a lie that would result in the death of many (Americans and others) and living up to his oath to protect and preserve the Constitution. He has called for others to do the same, but I've never heard that he's called for absolute transparency.

I was not sure how congruent Ellsburg's views were with Dean's.

I've been reflecting on the essay's reference to the difference between leakers and whistle-blowers. I think there is something there, and perhaps it is where the nuance on this subject resides.

It's interesting to think that if people's embarrassing secrets and moments being exposed would by itself change behaviors for the better. If WikiLeaks is the TMZ of the world of politics and business, you'd think that one posted up-skirt photo of the US would encourage the US and others to put on some damn underwear. It does not.

(Edit: At first I wasn't so hot on this analogy, but then the more I think of politicians and corporate execs as immature drugged out teenagers with lots of attention, it kind of grew on me.)

A
R
T
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 10:18 am
Quote:
Giants like PayPal, Amazon.com, Visa and MasterCard almost instantly crumbled under government (and p.r.) pressure to drop WikiLeaks, depriving the site of vital funding sources and online platforms. But other companies, some of them small, independent start-ups, have decided to risk the wrath of Joe Lieberman, the State Department, and their European counterparts and help keep WikiLeaks afloat by providing funding sources (yeah, you can now donate to WikiLeaks even if you only have Visa or MasterCard.) and hosting the site. Here's a list of companies that have stood by WikiLeaks:
Xipwire, Facebook, Twitter, Flattr, Datacell (Iceland), OVH (France)

source: Wikileaks facebook
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 10:18 am
@failures art,
What's been happening with Wikileaks is the freedom of the press that the government tries to repress.
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 10:23 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

What's been happening with Wikileaks is the freedom of the press that the government tries to repress.

Exactly, cicerone! I tell you another thing: about 15 years ago, when a German political magazine I subscribed to had several reports on the FBI and its doings,
these particular issues of the magazine could not be bought in the United States,
even though I subscribed to them, they were not available resp. imported.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 10:25 am
@failures art,
There are some things would be very harmful to get out.

In the three power talks just before the end of WW2 Uncle Stalin for example floated the idea of having a large percent of the total German officers corp shot.

The number was fifty thousands or so and if a 1944 Wikileaks had released that information one would assume that the Germany army would had fought even harder then it did during the end days of ww2.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 10:28 am
@failures art,
If the analogy holds then it's only a matter of time before planned leaks to WL become part of the nature of things.
failures art

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 10:33 am
@JPB,
No doubt.

TMZ is a great way to make us feel superior to our celebrities. It doesn't really change their behavior, but its appeal is understandable.

A
R
T
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 10:37 am
@failures art,
Quote:
So you acknowledge the true form of transparent government.

Did I not before? Confused

Quote:
We don't "need" leeks, but leaks are simply what is going to happen as long as we don't work towards the real goals; the ones that require actual work and accountability.

Well you might not have needed the leaks to gain a greater degree of transparency, but it certainly looks like quite a few other counties might have!

Quote:
WikiLeaks may give you some of the information you are entitled to, but it brings us no closer to the type of transparent government where you get all of the information you are entitled to. If you are truly an advocate for more openness, spend less time praising WL, and more inspecting what you do to move towards what you acknowledge would have been a better goal prior to the existence of WL.

Why should we "spend less time praising WL, and more inspecting what you do to move towards what you acknowledge would have been a better goal prior to the existence of WL."?
Wikileaks might well be the catalyst for greater transparency.
Do you really think there have not been efforts to achieve greater government transparency prior to the Wikileaks?
You are completely wrong about that.

Quote:
You're repeating what I said. I said that things are out of balance in terms of secracy. Things can be unbalanced in many ways msolga. WL is a reaction to one form of unbalance, it's not the ballast to level things off.

What exactly do you mean? Confused
Seriously, I don't understand what you're saying here.
Which form of "imbalance" is Wikileaks a reaction to?

Quote:
Why won't you have the whole truth ever?

Because, from experience, this has been the nature of our governments.
If it wasn't (& I dearly wish this was the case) there would be no need for information to be leaked, for us to be properly informed.

Quote:
So your policy is waiting?

Why not demand those documents now? What I'm getting at is the reliance on WL (or rather leaker and whistle-blowers) is always retroactive. If you are concerned with Australia's doing with the US (or in the future China), then what are you doing to create openness on the front end? Where is the proactive measures?

WL is the lazy way out.

Sorry, Art, I'm really getting really lost now.
You are asking what I am doing to get advance information?
What makes you think that people like myself are doing nothing else in support of more transparent governance? That we are just passively sitting on the fence & waiting to see what Wikileaks might come up with, after events have occurred?
You are patronizingly assuming some completely passive state of affairs & you are completely off the mark.
What am I doing?
Following political developments very closely via the media
Participating in the democratic process in my own neck of the woods. Supporting the politicians & political parties which are the most open about about issues which are important to me.
Writing letters to editors, participating in blog discussions, attending demonstrations ...
Anything else you'd like to know?

Quote:
I don't care if it's anti-US or not. That's not the origin of my skepticism about WL.

I think lots of the information they are getting out is good.

That said, they have horded information and are using it for personal leverage. I'd have the same objections if that information was about Mexico, Canada, or Australia.

OK, give me some actual examples of the information Wikileaks has hoarded & "using for personal leverage".

Quote:
I think your concerns are valid, don't worry Olga.

I don't need your approval, Art.
I already know my concerns are valid.

Quote:
It could be as you say that the difference in reaction could be because the interests differ between countries. There's a good argument for that, but acknowledge that the difference could also be that the effect is different. Certainly a different reaction would be understandable.

What do you mean? Confused

Quote:
Think back several months to the whole embarrassment from the KFC cricket commercials.

I'm sorry, Art, but I believe that debate has little relevance to the issues we are discussing here. That was a discussion about different cultural interpretations about an advertisement about fast food.
This is a far, far more serious issue.

failures art

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 10:44 am
@msolga,
Well that was dismissive.

Quote:

This is my metric msolga. I've said so directly.

Information by itself is not transparency. You've got that wrong.

I'm telling you that if people were a more proactive about what is happening there would be less need for leaks because there would be less to hide.

WL is retroactive. That's not a solution.

RE: Hoarding. I'm not going to go around in circles msolga. Poison pill.

A
R
T
msolga

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 10:46 am
@failures art,
I think you said that before, Art.
And I think I might have already responded to what you said.
failures art

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 10:47 am
@msolga,
Then you've no excuse to ask what they are hoarding.

A
R
T
msolga

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 10:51 am
@failures art,
Why do I have no excuse to ask?
You claimed that they've been hoarding information, please give some evidence to support your statement.
I think that's a fair enough request?
mysteryman

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 11:32 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Wikileaks supplies the information. It does not proscribe how that information is used or editorialize about the material. That is up to people who receive the information to do for themselves. And what is wrong with that?

Let me ask you something.
Using that logic, if I provide information to someone about what you have in your house, the combination to your wall safe, when you were going to be away from home, and the codes to shut off your home alarm, then I'm not in any way responsible if they use that information to burglarize your house.

Is that what you truly believe?
CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 11:44 am
@mysteryman,
That's completely irrelevant to Wikileaks, MM.
Here you're giving information about a private individual's assets to someone
who will burglarize that private individuals house.

There you have an open government entity, supposedly working FOR the people that has accepted transparency when running for office (why else would their tax returns be made public). So far, the government has decided upon themselves what to make "transparent" and what not. Journalists, with insider informations, just took this choice away from the government and made the artificial transparency a real one. Do you get the difference, MM?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 11:57 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
Using that logic, if I provide information to someone about what you have in your house, the combination to your wall safe, when you were going to be away from home, and the codes to shut off your home alarm, then I'm not in any way responsible if they use that information to burglarize your house.

How about this analogy:

I overhear that someone is planning to rob your house. But I don't tell you.

Simplistic metaphors don't seem to help, do they?
failures art

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 12:07 pm
@msolga,
The evidence is in Assange's own statements Re: poison pill. It is evident in the ratio of information had verses what has actually been released.

Of course you can ask. You can be answered as well.

You replied to my post about WL infallibility, but in your own reply you failed to intentify what would qualify poor handling.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 03:59 pm
@hingehead,
I think both your and MM's metaphors make a point about this though. Absolutes on the philosophy of information protection ultimately fail when broadly applied.

A
R
T
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 05:15 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
Why should we "spend less time praising WL, and more inspecting what you do to move towards what you acknowledge would have been a better goal prior to the existence of WL."?
Do you really think there have not been efforts to achieve greater government transparency prior to the Wikileaks?
You are completely wrong about that.

He's not only wrong, Olga, FA is attempting to add layers of cover for people that he "suggests" he's trying to hold accountable. If Art was being honest, something he's never been, he'd take a REAL look at the historical record and he'd, if he really had courage, leave his job, and speak out about this record of deceit, war crimes/mass murder/... , instead of trying to confuse the issues and provide cover for , well, you know.

Art is simply Finn/Gob1 in short pants.
JTT

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 05:26 pm
@failures art,
Quote:
Information by itself is not transparency. You've got that wrong.

I'm telling you that if people were a more proactive about what is happening there would be less need for leaks because there would be less to hide.

WL is retroactive. That's not a solution.

You've just knocked down the whole system surrounding the rule of law.

Quote:
RE: Hoarding. I'm not going to go around in circles msolga. Poison pill.

How you cannot fathom that these WL people aren't smart enough to know that the countries that they are dealing with are anything but responsible and ethical is beyond me?

Look at all the dirty tricks that the USA/Canada/Australia have already put into practice. Think of the innumerable dirty tricks that just the CIA pulls off everyday and we know, beyond the shadow of a doubt that those shenanigans result in the deaths of tens of thousands.

The hypocrisy that spews from your mouth is truly amazing, Art. How you can continue to even show your face here flummoxes me. You sit in a position where you clearly, unequivocably have a serious conflict of interest and you want us to believe that you are being evenhanded.

We don't hear you and Finn registering your complaints about these practices yet you have the temerity to whine about "POTENTIAL" deaths and other bad things that COULD come from WLs.
JTT

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2010 05:32 pm
@mysteryman,
How about the situation, MM, where you have volumes of information that show that your government has committed war crimes/mass murder and you sit silent and say nothing?

How about the situation where you actively seek to cover up these crimes, to divert attention away from these crimes, where you seek to suppress, in whatever fashion you can, the discussion of said crimes?