WikiLeaks about to hit the fan

hingehead

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 12:37 am
@msolga,
Can we stop buying volvos until Sweden develops a transparent justice system? I'm going to miss kopperberg cider Sad
msolga

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:21 am
@msolga,
Speaking of Four Corners, here's an updated version of its program on Bradley Manning. Well worth a look. The original program was shown around a year & a half ago & I posted it here at the time.

(In case any of you who don't live in Australia are wondering about the source of these programs: Four Corners is a very highly regarded current affairs program broadcast on Oz television, with a long history of coverage of current affairs issues & also (often news-breakinging) investigative journalism. It is broadcast weekly on the ABC, the Australian (government-owned) radio, television & internet sites. Four Corners does not follow any government "line" in its programs.

Quote:
WikiLeaks - The Forgotten Man
Updated June 20, 2012 10:40:00/Four Corners/ABC television

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201206/r957892_10280335.jpg
Next on Four Corners - a return to the remarkable story of "WikiLeaks -The Forgotten Man", Bradley Manning.

Private Bradley Manning was the man U.S. authorities allege stole classified military files, providing them to WikiLeaks for publication.

While WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange battles to avoid extradition from the United Kingdom to Sweden, on the other side of the Atlantic Bradley Manning is facing a court martial. If found guilty he could spend the rest of his life in prison.

It's a case that has all the hallmarks of a spy thriller. Bradley Manning was a U.S. soldier serving in Iraq, when he allegedly downloaded classified files onto a disk storing Lady Gaga songs. It's alleged he then confided what he'd done to a computer hacker. A short time later the authorities arrested Manning and he's been in a military jail ever since.

Early last year reporter Quentin McDermott told the story of Bradley Manning and the people who'd helped the United States government build a case against him. Now Four Corners reprises the program, updating it with crucial new elements describing the ferocious battle between hackers and the U.S. government as they pursue Julian Assange and WikiLeaks.

The program also talks to Juan Mendez, the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture, about the treatment of Bradley Manning. Mr Mendez says Manning was subjected to cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment during his "excessive and prolonged isolation" at Quantico Marine Corps Base outside Washington.

The question remains: will Bradley Manning attempt to avoid a life sentence by turning against Julian Assange?

The reprise of "WikiLeaks- The Forgotten Man", reported by Quentin McDermott and presented by Kerry O'Brien goes to air on Monday 18th June at 8.30 PM on ABC1. It is replayed on Tuesday 19th June at 11.35 PM. It can also be seen on ABC News24 on Saturday at 8.00 PM, on ABC iview or at 4 Corners.

VIDEO: WikiLeaks - The Forgotten Man:
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2012/06/14/3525291.htm
msolga

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:25 am
@hingehead,
No more Swedish meatballs for me! Wink
No more IKEA.

(Till they clean up their act!)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 01:35 am
@msolga,
If you can't access the full screen version of the Bradley Manning/Four Corners program from my previous link, this should do it.
(I hope! Smile )

WikiLeaks - The Forgotten Man:
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2012/06/14/3525291.htm
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2012 08:53 am
Quote:
WikiLeaked Documents Still Secret, Judge Says
(RYAN ABBOTT, Courthouse News Service, July 24, 2012)

A federal judge said the State Department need not release information already published by WikiLeaks because the information is still covered by the national security exemption to the Freedom of Information Act.

The American Civil Liberties Union and the ACLU Foundation sued to force the State Department to release "embassy cables concerning this nation's affairs" - information already released by third-party WikiLeaks - but U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly found that the government is justified in withholding the information.

"The twenty-three embassy cables cover a range of sensitive subjects, including investigations of individuals suspected of acts of terrorism, bilateral relations with foreign nations, and military operations," Kollar-Kotelly ruled.

The government released 11 cables, partially or completely withholding the rest.

"In this case, the ACLU contends that the twenty-three embassy cables it seeks in this action must be disclosed because they are allegedly already in the public domain after being published by third-party WikiLeaks and because the State Department has purportedly acknowledged their authenticity," Kollar-Kotelly wrote, summing up the ACLU's argument.

"The ACLU couches this basic contention in a variety of forms but this much is clear: the ACLU has not met the exacting standard demanded by settled precedent. No matter how extensive, the WikiLeaks disclosure is no substitute for an official acknowledgement and the ACLU has not shown that the Executive has officially acknowledged that the specific information at issue was a part of the WikiLeaks disclosure."

The information withheld concerned a variety of sensitive information, including details on military flight operations and procedures for obtaining allied cooperation in them, the judge found. It also contained assessments and recommendations relating to affairs with Afghanistan, Ireland, Libya, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Switzerland, Tunisia, the United Kingdom and Yemen.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 09:54 am
Quote:
Sweden given OK to interview Assange in Ecuadoran embassy
(By Douglas Stanglin, USA TODAY, July 26, 2012)

Swedish authorities have been given permission to interview Wikileaks founder Julian Assange who has been living in the Ecuadoran embassy in London since he sought asylum there last month, the BBC reports.

Assange has been living in a 15-square-foot room at the embassy since June 19 to avoid extradition to Sweden to face sexual assault charges, The Guardian reports.

Ecuadoran diplomats say they are seeking British assurances that Assange will not be extradited to the United States after legal proceedings with Sweden are completed, the newspaper says.

The Guardian says Assange's lawyers believe there are secret plans to extradite him to the U.S. to face trial on possible espionage-related charges stemming from the publication of classified documents on the Wikileaks website.

"The evil that Ecuador wishes to prevent is the extradition [of Assange] to the U.S.," a senior legal adviser at the embassy tells The Guardian. "Now if there are ways and means of that being tied down, I think that would be a just solution."
msolga

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 05:20 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Swedish authorities have been given permission to interview Wikileaks founder Julian Assange who has been living in the Ecuadoran embassy in London since he sought asylum there last month, the BBC reports. ...

... "The evil that Ecuador wishes to prevent is the extradition (of Assange) to the U.S.," a senior legal adviser at the embassy tells The Guardian. "Now if there are ways and means of that being tied down, I think that would be a just solution."

Sweden given OK to interview Assange in Ecuadoran Embassy:
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/07/swedes-given-ok-to-interview-assange-in-ecuadoran-embassy/1#.UBHKAqAwDPh

Very good to hear.
Thank you, Ecuador.
The question many of us have been asking repeatedly is why the Sweden couldn't have been "given permission" to interview Julian Assange in the UK well before now? Like during his 500 days of detention during his legal battles ?
The Four Corners program (posted above) about the "rape allegations" against Julian Assange points out many "irregularities" (to put it politely!) in the Swedish prosecution's case.
Let's see those irregularities properly sorted out first, then see if an extradition & trial (which would be conducted in secret) can be justified.

msolga

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 06:09 pm
@msolga,
As an Australian, I thank the Ecuadorian government for its efforts to protect the rights of an Australian citizen.

The shameful thing is that these efforts should have been made (well before now) by the Australian government, which has made nowhere near the same effort, despite its constant protestations that it has done "all that can be done". What rubbish. But of course, as many Australians already know, this is hardly anything new. Our governments (not just this current Australian government) have a woeful record of obliging their powerful masters at the expense of defending the human rights of Australian citizens. Julian Assange is simply the latest case. Sigh.

The Ecuadorian government is asking precisely the right questions of the appropriate governments, initiating the appropriate measures for a just resolution to this situation.... Let's now see how those countries respond.

Quote:
.... Two officials at the Ecuadorean embassy said it had been seeking assurances from both the UK and Sweden that Assange would not be eventually sent to the US, but had received no answer. They said Ecuador would now formally ask the US if there were any legal proceedings against Assange or "an investigation which has identified him as a target and which may result in a later extradition request".

... A political adviser to the Ecuadorean government said Assange's asylum claim had presented the country with "an absolutely extraordinary case" that placed it at the centre of a global controversy involving four other countries: the UK, Sweden, the US and Australia, where Assange was born and remains a citizen.

Ecuador was seeking to be an "honest broker", he said, while meeting its international obligations. He said that on Wednesday, Ecuador formally offered the Swedish prosecutor the opportunity to interview Assange inside the London embassy. Sweden had not responded to the proposal.

Most of the discussions have focused on seeking to establish whether, once Swedish legal proceedings against Assange are resolved, there will be any attempts to extradite him to the US. ....

... Assange's US lawyer, Michael Ratner, said he was certain Assange had already either been secretly indicted by a grand jury in Washington or would face extradition with a view to prosecution. He believed the death penalty remained a possibility.

"I have no doubt there is a serious investigation, which has gone on, and is continuing, into Julian Assange and WikiLeaks," he said. However, Ratner said it was highly unlikely the US would confirm to Ecuador or any other party that it intended to prosecute Assange. ....

Ecuador seeks to stop 'evil' of Julian Assange US extradition:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jul/26/ecuador-julian-assange-extradition-us
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 07:03 pm
I'd really like him to face those charges in Sweden. It boggles the mind that he's been able to dodge them this long.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 07:17 pm
@msolga,
Ecuador the White Knight of Nations!

What a laugh.

From the US State Department's website:

Quote:
The following human rights problems continued: isolated unlawful killings and use of excessive force by security forces, sometimes with impunity; poor prison conditions; arbitrary arrest and detention; corruption and other abuses by security forces; a high number of pretrial detainees; and corruption and denial of due process within the judicial system. President Correa and his administration continued verbal and legal attacks against the independent media. Societal problems continued, including physical aggression against journalists; violence against women; discrimination against women, indigenous persons, Afro-Ecuadorians, and lesbians and gay men; trafficking in persons and sexual exploitation of minors; and child labor.

Amnesty International:

Ecuador Using 'Any Tool in the Box' to Suppress Protests

http://www.amnestyusa.org/news/press-releases/ecuador-authorities-misuse-judicial-system-to-stop-protests

Ecuador granting asylum to Assange is a poke in the eye of Uncle Sam, and you fell for it.

hingehead

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 07:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Dont suppose they are holding foreign nationals off shore with no charge for a decade?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 07:29 pm
@ehBeth,
It boggles the mind whenever people sublimate a principle they ostensibly hold dear in favor of ideological tribalism. For whatever reason, Assange has been embraced by many on the left as some sort of New Age hero and they are so enamored of him that they dismiss the charges of sexual misconduct made against him; completely out of hand. We’ve seen in this very thread suggestions from those who support him, that the Swedish women who are his accusers, are paid low-lifes. Such attacks on alleged female victims of sexual predation would generate howls of outrage, from these same skeptics, in any other context.

And the hypocritical remain totally clueless, yet so resolute.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 07:36 pm
@hingehead,
How droll, and yet how revealing.

Obviously you view the world through the prism of your displeasure with America.

Even if we accept all the charges you are prepared to level against the US, how do they erase or mitigate even one human rights violation committed by the government of Ecuador?

Olga is thanking Ecuador for their glorious defense of an Australian citizen's rights; not having a clue concerning how it may view and abuse the rights of Ecuadorian citizens.

And your input?

"At least their not as bad as your government."

What's next?

"Obama wears army boots!"

msolga

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 07:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I'd really like him to face those charges in Sweden. It boggles the mind that he's been able to dodge them this long.

It's the legitimacy of those allegations & irregularities in the whole process that worries me far more, ehBeth.
They certainly boggle my mind!
You are assuming their has been some proper process by the Swedish prosecution.
I wish you'd research a little bit more about what actually occurred.

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 07:53 pm
@msolga,
I wish you wouldn't assume I haven't looked into it.
hingehead

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 07:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Oh Finn, you make assumptions that match your biases all the time.

What I was insinuating is that your brilliantly incisive comment about 'shining white knights' was quite pathetic given that you would never cast the same disparaging comment about your own country. You are incapable of objectivity.

My problem is not with the USA. It's with you.
msolga

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 08:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Olga is thanking Ecuador for their glorious defense of an Australian citizen's rights; not having a clue concerning how it may view and abuse the rights of Ecuadorian citizens.

How do you know what I know about Ecuador & its citizens, Finn?
If you'd like to start a thread about it I'd be happy to join you in a lengthier discussion there.
But this particular thread is about Wikileaks, Julian Assaange, Bradley Manning ... & that's the subject I intend to stick to here.

And yes, I am hugely relieved that some state has intervened (in the absence of Julian Assange's own country) ... with some very sensible proposals:

What's wrong with the Swedish prosecution interviewing Julian Assange in the UK ?.... to resolve whether there is actually a case for charges to be laid against him or not.
For heavens sake, they've changed their minds enough times about it! And the nature of the actual allegations.
They cleared him to leave Sweden after their initial investigations, after he'd obliged them by staying on & answering their questions. How many times does be need to be interviewed about the same allegations?

And what's wrong with seeking an undertaking that he won't be extradited to the US from Sweden if he goes there? After all, this is about allegations (not charges yet) about sexual abuse, it is NOT about his Wikileaks activities .... Right?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 08:23 pm
@msolga,
Well if you do know about Ecuadorian human rights violations than your applauding them is outrageously cynical and not just naive.

If you want to debate what you know about Ecuador, then go ahead and start the other thread.

My point is that you're self-righteous championing of the rights of Australian citizenry is without any credibility. Assange is on the list of causes a good left-winger must support and you're right there; in lock step with those who tell you what to think.

Just as you would be right there expressing outrage over attempts to avoid prosecution or slandering the victims, if anyone but a left-wing celebrity was charged with sexual predation of women.
msolga

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 08:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I wish you wouldn't assume I haven't looked into it.

OK, let's say you have, ehBeth.
What is your view of how the Swedish prosecution has conducted its "case" against Julian Assange?
Do you dispute the evidence of changes in the prosecutions allegations against him?
Do you dispute that he did all he was required to do before legally leaving Sweden for the UK?
Do you think it is reasonable that he be jailed in Sweden prior to his case going to trial (if there is enough evidence to prove that there is a case)?
Do you think it is reasonable, if it does come to a trial, that it be held in secrecy, with no outside scrutiny of what occurs?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 08:24 pm
@hingehead,
Whereas I don't really care much about you personally at all, it's the type you so brilliantly represent that I find so pathetic.