WikiLeaks about to hit the fan

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 01:02 pm
@wandeljw,
Then there is something wrong with the hiring, rules and regulations of employment, and the security process; that's the responsibility of the honchos.

When I was in the US Air Force back in the fifties, we were told on our first day of introduction to nuclear weapons, the penalty for talking about our job outside of the security area. The penalty back then was $10,000 and 10 years in prison.

I also know a guy in our squadron was a high ranking officer who lived with us peons to make sure we were living by the rules and regulations concerning security.

After I was discharged from the service, an FBI officer came and asked me questions about another airman who loved to draw conventional weapons as a hobby; he was harmless, and that's what I told the FBI
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 01:02 pm
@spendius,
Poor baby he was under pressure and so he released that pressure by betraying his oath and his country.

Sorry but my father knowingly live under a possible death sentence for two years in the south pacific with his superiors under orders to executed him before allowing him to fall into enemies hands.

Manning deserve every little bit of his punishment no matter what pressures he was under.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 01:25 pm
@BillRM,
But there is every indication from what we have been told and from what he looks like when being marched in to the court that he very likely was an idiot who lacked understanding. That's the point.

And let's suppose that him realising that the cables were easily leakable meant that somebody else might leak them to people who wouldn't publish them but would act upon them. That officer shooter say at the army base. Brad effectively warned all those people that their identities were not as secure as they thought.

No wonder those responsible for such a circumstance want to **** on him to take the heat off themselves.
BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 01:59 pm
@spendius,
No heat is being taken off anyone for not acting in a rational manner in granting him security clearances or not taking note that the clearances should be cancel that I had seen.

Punishing him for his bad acts is a completely separate issue from any reviews of others actions related to who is granted such clearances and how they are track.
spendius

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 02:49 pm
@BillRM,
You don't see the point Bill. The heat is on the system which led to America's friends being unaware that it was insecure and thus they were at risk without knowing. Had Brad not done what he did they would still be in that position. Sitting ducks in other words.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 03:03 pm
@spendius,
Trivia: It is estimated that $10,000 in 1955 would be over $82,000 today.

For people like me, $82,000 in 1955 was equivalent to a $million bucks; there was no way I'd have that kind of money available.
BillRM

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 03:30 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
You don't see the point Bill. The heat is on the system which led to America's friends being unaware that it was insecure and thus they were at risk without knowing. Had Brad not done what he did they would still be in that position. Sitting ducks in other words.

So a bank robber should be let off for robbing a bank because the robbery show weakness in the bank security?

Give me a break,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 03:34 pm
@BillRM,
Bad analogy. Bank robberies have been going on ever since banks were established. There are things physical banks can do and cannot do, and we're talking about e-security (a contemporary problem about the internet and security), not physical bank robberies.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 04:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What was that about ci.?

But here in 1955 £10,000 would have bought about 25 standard semi-detached houses in suburbs. That number of the same houses today would be about $3.5 million.

What are you referring to?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 04:48 pm
@spendius,
That's just an estimate figuring in the inflation over those years. Housing inflation is not equivalent to $$$$ or pounds.
spendius

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 06:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I didn't say it was. They are just facts.

But what was you referring to in the first place?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 06:09 pm
@spendius,
So, your trivia doesn't even relate to any past discussion on this subject.
spendius

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 06:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Everything I put on A2K is connected up.

What were you referring to?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 07:36 pm
@spendius,
To you, maybe.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 04:54 pm
Excerpt from "Julian Assange: The Rolling Stone Interview" by Michael Hastings

Quote:
From a legal standpoint, it seems that you're in a no-win situation. If you lose your appeal on February 1st, you will be extradited to Sweden to face questioning, and the United States can ask to extradite you from there. But even if you win your appeal, there's the possibility that the U.S. could just come in and extradite you from England.
Yeah. And the ability to resist extradition here in England is not good.

The conventional wisdom – both in Sweden and the U.S. – is that you won't be extradited. Why are you convinced you will?
Extradition is a political matter. The extradition treaties – those from the U.K. to the U.S. and from Sweden to the U.S. – are both very dangerous for me. Every day that I remain in England, it is dangerous, and if I am in Sweden, it will be at least as dangerous as it is here, and very probably more so. The Swedish foreign minister responsible for extradition, Carl Bildt, became a U.S. Embassy informant in 1973 when he was 24 years old. He shipped his personal effects to Washington, to lead a conservative leadership program, where he met Karl Rove. They became old friends and would go to conferences together and so on.

Karl Rove? How do you know this?
Cables. Although I have not been charged with anything, there is an active allegation against me of rape and sexual molestation against Swedish women. So the political environment in Sweden to defend me against extradition to the United States is quite adverse. Some people have said, "Look, both the United Kingdom and Sweden and many countries say that there is not to be extradition for political offenses." But the United States government is not trying to indict me for a "political" offense – it is trying to indict me for espionage, or conspiracy to commit espionage, and computer hacking. The U.S. grand jury is looking at indicting us for charges which are not, on their face, political. But of course, the reasons are political, and that is a different matter.

So you think the government is going to try to lay the groundwork by saying you're a spy, claiming you're putting soldiers at risk, and then nabbing you after the Swedish allegations are resolved?
These are people used to laying the political ground and laying the media ground. I imagine what they would do is say that this material we published had adversely affected the United Kingdom or adversely affected Sweden. Perhaps they could introduce or leak to the press, under the surface, false speculations that we had killed Swedish soldiers in Afghanistan, or that we had sold information to the Iranians.
BillRM

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 06:03 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
it is trying to indict me for espionage, or conspiracy to commit espionage, and computer hacking. The U.S. grand jury is looking at indicting us for charges which are not, on their face, political. But of course, the reasons are political, and that is a different matter.

I lot of revolutionary movements rob banks for example to fund themselves so doing crimes for political reasons is not and never had been a free get out of jail card.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2012 07:24 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
claiming you're putting soldiers at risk,

Still with this crap. The US constantly puts innocents at risk but for the US it is not theoretical. The US has caused the death of hundreds of thousands of innocents by supplying death lists to numerous butchers.

Quote:
According to the United States Federal Criminal Code, Chapter 113B of Part I of Title 18, terrorism is defined as

“activities that involve violent ... or life-threatening acts ... that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State and ... appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and ... ."

The facts are so apparent, so voluminous - the US is the largest terrorist group on planet Earth. Not only are the the largest, they are also the most brutal.

0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 11:56 am
Quote:
Bradley Manning: second officer recommends court martial
(Matt Williams, The Guardian, January 19, 2012)

The US soldier accused of feeding a trove of classified documents to WikiLeaks looks almost certain to face trial following a second recommendation that he be court-martialled.

Bradley Manning has been indicted on 22 counts relating to the largest ever leak of confidential data in American history.

If found guilty of charges – which include aiding the enemy – he could be sentenced to death, although prosecutors have indicated that they will not be seeking the ultimate penalty.

Nonetheless, the counts against him carry a maximum jail time of 150 years.

Earlier this month, the army judge presiding over the case recommended to a court-martial convening authority that Manning be tried.

Thursday's decision to pass that ruling further up the chain of command means that Manning is just one decision away from knowing if he is to face a court martial over the alleged crimes.

That decision is now in the hands of major general Michael Linnington, commander of the military district of Washington.

Manning, a 24-year-old low-ranking intelligence officer, is accused of passing on more than 700,000 US Department of State documents and sensitive army records to the whistle-blowing website.

In a preliminary hearing in December, a military court heard that the suspect "indiscriminately and systematically" harvested sensitive data after being deployed to Iraq in 2009.

"Manning gave the enemy of the United States unfettered access to classified documents," army prosecutor Ashden Fein claimed.

But his defence team countered that the unit in which the young soldier served was "lawless" when it came to security.

Manning's civilian lawyer David Coombs also drew attention to his client's fragile state of mind.

The young soldier suffered from gender identity disorder and felt alienated in the army due to his sexuality, the court heard.

Coombs also suggested that prosecutors were trying to "strong-arm" his client into a confession, so that they could use him to "go after Julian Assange and WikiLeaks."

The civilian lawyer also hit out at the military proceedings for not allowing him to call a string of witnesses, including psychologist and psychiatrists.

On Monday on his website, Coombs criticised a decision to refuse his request for oral submissions from nine other witnesses.

These experts would have testified on whether the data leaked was indeed classified and if "there was any harm to national security" from the documents being made public.

Coombs accused the government of "improperly" in blocking his access to what the lawyer described as "essential" witnesses.
BillRM

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2012 12:13 pm
@wandeljw,
This is an open and shut case no matter how the defense try to turn this into a three ring circus.
wandeljw

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2012 10:18 am
Quote:
War on the internet: it's all about power
(By Stilgherrian, ZDNet.com.au, January 23, 2012)

"There really is a war on the internet and, like all wars, this war is about power," said Wikileaks founder Julian Assange in a recorded message on Saturday to the War on the Internet forum held in Melbourne on the weekend.

When we last discussed the war on the internet in November 2011, it was in the context of the US Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), and of course that's dominated the news for the last week. But it's really about more than that.

It's about more fundamental issues. Who gets to communicate with whom? In what context? With what technology? How private is that conversation? Who gets to listen in, and why?

The forum was organised by Electronic Frontiers Australia and The Greens, and featured Suelette Dreyfus, co-author with Assange of "Underground"; Greens' Senator Scott Ludlam; Crikey's Canberra correspondent Bernard Keane; and headline speaker Jacob Appelbaum, internet security researcher, software hacker and activist.
0 Replies