WikiLeaks about to hit the fan

JTT

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 08:16 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
No, they're not.

I was just joking, MsO. I know that none of those war criminals are on the list.
Ionus

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 08:18 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
I trust that Bush, Cheney and the rest of the neocon war criminals are on the list.
I trust you Vietnam War activists will never realise the war is over...it could kill you.

Quote:
They're lining up to fellate Uncle Sam.
How much do you charge ? You must be very cheap with a mouth like that.....I wouldnt let you blow a two week dead dingo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 08:22 pm
@msolga,
And earlier I was reading crikey.com..
catchy name.
Some of this seems hilarious. The bit about lack of condoms meaning non consensual, which I first read (where, probably crikey) and then a later bit in one of your quotes, that the sex turned non consensual (mmm, the condom broke? or, other?)

Anyway, much ado, there was a play written on that.

I like the guy. I have my very personal biases that may color this.
Ionus

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 08:23 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
I know that none of those war criminals are on the list.
Shocked My God ! You think you know something ??? Is it in the "Traitors Guide to Attacking Your Own Side" or "How to Blow Up Buildings and Love It" ?

Why arent you living with the Taliban ? If you say a wrong word they will kill you....Al Quada need prostitutes to infiltrate with belly bombs.....

Uncle Abdul Needs YOU !!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 08:54 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
And earlier I was reading crikey.com..
catchy name.
Some of this seems hilarious. The bit about lack of condoms meaning non consensual, which I first read (where, probably crikey) and then a later bit in one of your quotes, that the sex turned non consensual (mmm, the condom broke? or, other?)

Anyway, much ado, there was a play written on that.

I like the guy. I have my very personal biases that may color this.

Yeah, I'm a subscriber of Crikey. (Available only online.) They're good value.
A pretty amazing read from that lawyer, hey?
If his assessment of the situation is accurate, you've gotta wonder.
I suspect that if it was Joe Anyone in the situation (& not Julian Assange) the this would have been resolved ages ago ... if there was even a charge made at all.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 08:58 pm
@JTT,
And you think I didn't realize that? Razz Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 09:17 pm
But back to the Guardian live updates ...

There is so much information here, it's a bit mind-boggling.

Anyway, these are just the latest updates ... a lot more available via the link below

Quote:
WikiLeaks US embassy cables: live updates

• Afghan contempt for British in Helmand exposed in cables
• Rampant corruption in Afghanistan laid bare
• US diplomats wrote off Gordon Brown as 'abysmal'
• Full coverage of the WikiLeaks cables

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pixies/2009/8/29/1251583302804/Gordon-Brown-in-Afghanist-001.jpg
Gordon Brown in Afghanistan The latest US embassy cables released by WikiLeaks reveal Afghan contempt for the failure of British troops in Helmand province, while US diplomats had written off Gordon Brown. Photograph: Stefan Rousseau/PA

7.42am: The WikiLeaks website is down again, after its domain name system, EveryDNS.net, pulled the plug on it.

But the Guardian is up and running and packed with more revelations from the leaked cables. Today the main focus is Afghanistan.

The dispatches expose a devastating contempt for the British failure to impose security and connect with ordinary Afghans, our lead story says.

The Ministry of Defence has been swift to rebut the cables. A spokesman said:

Quote:
UK forces did an excellent job in Sangin, an area which has always been and continues to be uniquely challenging, delivering progress by increasing security and taking the fight to the insurgency.

That work is now being continued by the US Marines as part of a hugely increased Isaf presence across the whole of Helmand Province.

Both Afghan leaders, including the Governor of Sangin, and the US Marines have publicly recognised and paid tribute to the sacrifice and achievements of the UK forces in that area.

Criticism of UK troops in the cables has prompted a furious reaction on the Army Rumour Service, the online chatroom popular with British troops. "It's utterly ridiculous how little they appreciate the effort our troops have made," wrote Bloodloss, while Oddjob, who says he has a son currently serving in Afghanistan, tells the Afgans where to go.

Here's a round up of the other stories from the leaked cables today:

• CIA drew up UN spying wishlist for diplomats

• Afghan vice-president 'landed in Dubai with $52m in cash'

• Afghan MPs and religious scholars 'on Iran payroll'

• Germany accuses US over 'missing' Afghan funds

• Cables portray Hamid Karzai as corrupt and erratic

• Americans believed Gordon Brown was an 'abysmal' prime minister

• Gordon Brown's potential successors, as viewed by Washington

• Gordon Brown's global moves dismissed by US

• UK overruled on Lebanon spy flights from Cyprus

• U2 spy flights targetting Hizbullah fuels tensions

• Berlusconi 'profited from secret deals' with Putin

• Silvio Berlusconi's health hit by party lifestyle

• Cables vindicate Litvinenko murder claim, says widow

• Chávez and Uribe 'almost came to blows' at summit

• US has lost faith in Mexico's ability to win drugs war

You can follow all of yesterday's disclosures and reaction on Thursday's live blog. And for the full coverage go to our US embassy cables page or follow our US embassy cable Twitter feed @GdnCables.

7.56am: Connecting to WikiLeaks is presently not possible until it gets a new DNS service, writes our technology editor Charles Arthur. <cont>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2010/dec/03/wikileaks-us-embassy-cables-live-updates
JTT

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 09:27 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
7.42am:The WikiLeaks website is down again, after its domain name system, EveryDNS.net, pulled the plug on it.

But the Guardian is up and running and packed with more revelations from the leaked cables. Today the main focus is Afghanistan.

Has the Guardian been down, ever, since this started, MsO?

By that I mean, are there other organizations/newspapers/news sources who are in possession of the same leaked material who have been attacked by these denial of service overloads?

Have these organizations had their internet service terminated by their internet service providers?

Have these organizations been threatened with arrest?

If none of these things has happened, why haven't they?

How would their possession of this info be any different that WikiLeaks' possession of the same info? WikiLeaks didn't hack into government computers and steal it.

Are you going to jail because of what you now possess of the leaked material? Have you lost your internet service provider?

I'll visit you on Sundays.
anton

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 09:34 pm
I am irritated by the arrogance of the United States government after being caught out in their duplicity; they’re running around like a chicken with its head chopped off and Sarah Palin is unbalanced, talking like a total idiot who obviously has no idea what’s going on.

This is a government that talks about democracy but apparently has no idea what it is…. Like all bullies they think they can say and do as they please and when they’re caught out they react with violence; in this case with threats.
Palin wants Julian Assange hunted down like a criminal, as does the US Congress, and the only act this man has committed is to have revealed the truth.

This is just diplomatic embarrassment and I defy anyone to prove Wikileaks has released information that has, or will endanger lives; at the very worst it just confirms how most people already see the US Government.

Come on America, you can’t have democracy without truth and as for charging Julian Assange with treason that is ridiculous for a very good reason; he is not a U.S. citizen.

Lock people away without charge, denying them due process, and use torture to extract confessions you can even spy on your own citizens, that is what Nazi’s used to do but that only serves to denigrate your countries reputation.

What you’ve done and said is now out in the open, you can’t hide anymore, so why not join the real world, live and let live then no one can point the finger at you; just like the rest of humanity you are just earthlings so act like the rest of us!
Wikileaks
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 09:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Silvio, of course, is a petunia. Quick, what is petunia in italian.

Petunia is the wrong word, as Pinocchio was used earlier in protests.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 09:45 pm
In the meantime, our chancellor Angela "Teflon" Merkel is quite nonchalant
about it. She doesn't want US Ambassador Murphy replaced and she said that
she doesn't expect an apology from him either. She said that she'll continue
working closely and reliably with the United States just like before. Germany
is not phased by the wikileaks cables.
JTT

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 09:46 pm
@anton,
Quote:
Palin wants Julian Assange hunted down like a criminal, as does the US Congress, and the only act this man has committed is to have revealed the truth.

I wonder, have they caught Bob Woodward or Carl Bernstein yet, or did they just have them assassinated? What about the US newspapers that printed the Pentagon Papers, how many years in jail did the owners/editors/janitors get?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 09:49 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Has the Guardian been down, ever, since this started, MsO?

I don't think so.
The only "technical problems" I've experience with the Guardian was last night .. during the live Q & A session with Julian Assange. (transcript posted above)
And I suspect that was more to do with the connection with Assange's server, than a problem at at the Guardian's end.

Quote:
By that I mean, are there other organizations/newspapers/news sources who are in possession of the same leaked material who have been attacked by these denial of service overloads?

Have these organizations had their internet service terminated by their internet service providers?

Not any I'm personally aware of. But then, imagine the public outrage if the NYT, the Guardian, De Spiegel. etc, etc ... experienced a termination of service. Momma Mia!
These are large established, respectable media organizations.
It is much, much easier for US authorities to harass & demonize Wikileaks, conveniently overlooking that fact that these respectably organizations are publishing the leaks.

Quote:

If none of these things has happened, why haven't they?

How would their possession of this info be any different that WikiLeaks' possession of the same info? WikiLeaks didn't hack into government computers and steal it.

All of this is just my own opinion, of course ..
But I don't consider that there's that much difference to supplying the information to publishing it.

We saw, a few pages back (NYT article) , the difficulties US lawyers believed the US government would have in prosecuting Wikleaks. They'd have to prove that the dissemination of the leaks actually harmed the US & was not in the interest of the rights of the public to know. (A bit clumsy, but that's the gist of it, as best I can recall.)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 09:52 pm
@msolga,
The guardian had flood problems earlier today, or yesterday, if I understand it.

Not that I know.
JTT

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 09:58 pm
@msolga,
I guess all this means that there'll be no visiting you in prison then.
msolga

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 09:59 pm
@ossobuco,
You may be right, osso.
What does that mean?
I'm not sure.
msolga

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 10:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
Hi Jane
As you've been following developments in Germany, can you tell us anything more about this?:

Quote:
WikiLeaks cables claim first scalp as German minister's aide is sacked

Helmut Metzner admitted acting as a mole for the US embassy during negotiations to form a government ..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/dec/03/wikileaks-first-scalp-german-aide?intcmp=239
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 10:15 pm
@msolga,
MsOlga,
Angela Merkel's party is in coalition with another Party (FDP) and their
leader, Guido Westerwelle, was determined to find the mole who had been feeding information to the US embassy. Helmut Metzner was exposed as
the informant. They call him "the friendly spy" since the U.S. in an ally.

The wikileak cables weren't very favorable towards Westerwelle and it
became his personal mission and vendetta to find the mole .
JTT

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 10:23 pm
@CalamityJane,
I trust that Helmut is now pushing up daisies.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2010 10:26 pm
@CalamityJane,
Ah.
Thank you, Jane.
0 Replies