Country Houses & Servants

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:13 am
Who here has servants pratically nobody thats who! No one has Servants anymore because they are not needed & are too expensive. If vacume cleaners hadn't been invented then maids would not have gone out of Fashion. If Microwaves & fast Food hadn't been invented the we would all have cooks, if well the list is endless, the only reason I have Servants is because I can't manage my house on my own, plus as the kitchen is in the basement so having someone cook breakfast for you in the morning is very useful.

His Lordship

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:26 am
If anyone is actually reading and is interested I can tell you all about Country Houses.

The English country house is generally accepted as a large house or mansion, once in the ownership of an individual who also usually owned another great house in town allowing one to spend time in the country and in the city.

Country houses and stately homes are sometimes confused—while a country house is always in the country, a stately home can also be in a town. Apsley House, built for the Duke of Wellington at the corner of Hyde Park (No. 1, London it was called), is one example. Other country houses such as Ascott in Buckinghamshire were deliberately designed not to be stately, and to harmonise with the landscape, while some of the great houses such as Kedleston Hall and Holkham Hall were built as "power houses" to impress and dominate the landscape, and were certainly intended to be "stately homes". Today many former stately homes, while still country houses, are far from stately and most certainly not homes.

The country house was not only a weekend retreat for aristocrats, but also often a full time residence for the minor gentry who were a central node in the so-called squirearchy that ruled Britain until the Reform Act 1832 (as documented in The Purefoy Letters, 1735–53 by L G Mitchell). Even some of the formal business of the shire was transacted in the Hall.

The country houses of England have evolved over the last 500 years. Before this time larger houses were more often than not fortified, reflecting the position of their owners as feudal lords, de facto overlords of their manor. The Tudor period of stability in the country saw the first of the large unfortified mansions. Henry VIII's policy of the Dissolution of the Monasteries saw many former ecclesiastical properties turned over to the King's favourites, who then converted them into private country houses. Woburn Abbey, Forde Abbey and many other mansions with Abbey or Priory in their name often date from this period as private houses. Other terms used in the name of houses to describe their origin or importance include Palace, Castle, Court, Hall, Mansion, Park, House, Manor, Place and Tower.

It was during the later half of the reign of Elizabeth I and her successor James I that the first architect designed mansions, thought of today as epitomising the English country house, and began to make their appearance. Burghley House, Longleat House, and Hatfield House are perhaps amongst the most well known. Hatfield House was one of the first houses in England to show the Italianate influences of the renaissance, which was eventually to see the end of the hinting-at-castle-architecture "turrets and towers" Gothic style. By the reign of Charles I, Inigo Jones and his form of Palladianism had changed the face of British domestic architecture completely. While there were later various Gothic Revival styles, the Palladian style in various forms, interrupted briefly by baroque, was to predominate until the second half of the 18th century when, influenced by ancient Greek styles, it gradually evolved into the neoclassicism championed by such architects as Robert Adam.

Some of the best known of England's country houses tend to have been built by one architect at one particular time: Montacute House, Chatsworth House, and Blenheim Palace are examples. It is interesting that while the latter two are ducal palaces, Montacute, although built by a Master of the Rolls to Queen Elizabeth I, spent the next 400 years in the occupation of his descendants who were Gentry without a London townhouse, rather than aristocracy. They finally ran out of funds in the early 20th century.

However, the vast majority of the lesser-known English country houses, often owned by both gentry and aristocracy, are an evolution of one or more styles with facades and wings in various styles in a mixture of high architecture, often as interpreted by a local architect or surveyor and determined by practicality as much as the whims of architectural taste. An example might be Brympton d'Evercy in Somerset, a house of many periods that is unified architecturally by the continuing use of the same mellow local Ham Hill stone.

The fashionable William Kent redesigned Rousham House only to have it quickly and drastically altered to accommodate space for the owner's twelve children. Canons Ashby, home to poet John Dryden's family, exemplifies this: a medieval farmhouse enlarged in the Tudor era around a courtyard, given grandiose plaster ceilings in the Stewart period and then given Georgian facades in the 18th century. The whole is a glorious mismatch of styles and fashions which seamlessly blend together—this could be called the true English country house. Wilton House, one of England's grandest houses, is in a remarkably similar vein; although, while the Drydens, mere squires, at Canons Ashby employed a local architect, at Wilton the mighty Earls of Pembroke employed the finest architects of the day: first Holbein, 150 years later Inigo Jones, and then Wyatt followed by Chambers. Each employed a different style of architecture, seemingly unaware of the design of the wing around the next corner. These varying "improvements", often criticised at the time, today are the qualities which make English country houses unique. Scarcely anywhere else in the world would an elite class have allowed, or indeed pursued, such an indifference to style.

The inhabitants of the English country house have become collectively referred to as the Ruling class, because this is exactly what they did in varying degrees, whether by holding high political influence and power in national government or in the day-to-day running of their own localities in such offices as magistrates, or occasionally even clergy. These aristocrats continued, in diminishing degrees, to frequently hold the highest offices until well into the second half of the 20th century. Sir Winston Churchill and Sir Alec Douglas-Home were the last Prime Ministers to spring from this class. So necessary was the country house deemed to be that following the election of the first Labour Government in 1921, Viscount Lee of Fareham donated his country house Chequers to the nation for the use of a Prime Minister who might not possess one of his own. Chequers still fulfils that need today as do both Chevening House and Dorneywood country houses, donated for sole use of high-ranking ministers of the crown.

During the 18th and 19th centuries to the highest echelons of British society the country house served as a place for relaxing, hunting and running the country with one's equals at the end of the week, with some houses having their own theatre where performances were held. However, there were many Squires who lived permanently on their country estates, seldom visiting London at all. The country house was the centre of its own world, providing employment to literally hundreds of people in the vicinity of its estate. In previous eras when state benefits were unheard of, those working on an estate were among the most fortunate, receiving secured employment and rent-free accommodation. At the summit of these fortunate people was the indoor staff of the country house. Until the 20th century, unlike many of their contemporaries, they slept in proper beds, wore well-made adequate clothes and received three proper meals a day, plus a small wage. In an era when many still died for lack of medicine or malnutrition, the long working hours were a small price to pay. The film Gosford Park, the reality series The Edwardian Country House and some episodes of the TV series Upstairs, Downstairs accurately recreated the stratified and repressed but secure atmosphere of the English country house just surviving into the age of the automobile.

Many aristocrats owned more than one country house and would visit each according to the season: Grouse shooting in Scotland, pheasant shooting and fox hunting in England. The Earl of Rosebery, for instance, had Dalmeny House in Scotland, Mentmore Towers in Buckinghamshire and another near Epsom just for the racing season. The largest country house in England is Blenheim Palace, compared with Hopetoun House in Scotland, Castletown House in Ireland and possibly Penrhyn Castle, Chirk Castle, Erddig or Glynllifon in Wales. The largest in Derbyshire is Chatsworth House, and in Cambridgeshire is Wimpole Hall.

The slow decline of the English country house coincided with the rise of modern industry, which provided alternate means of employment for large numbers of people and contributed to upwardly mobile middle classes, but its ultimate demise began immediately following World War I. The huge staff required to maintain them had either left to fight and never returned, departed to work in the munitions factories, or to fulfil the void left by the fighting men in other workplaces. Of those who returned with the cessation of war, many left the countryside for better-paid jobs in towns. The final blow for many country houses came following World War II; having been requisitioned during the war, they were returned to the owners in poor repair. Many of whom having lost their heirs, if not in the immediately preceding war then in World War I, were now paying far higher rates of tax, and agricultural incomes from the accompanying estates had dropped. Thus, the solution appeared to be to hold contents auctions and then demolish the house and sell its stone, fireplaces, and panelling. And this is exactly what happened to many of Britain's finest houses.

Today in Britain, country houses provide for a variety of needs. Many are owned by public bodies such as Kedleston Hall, Knole House, Lyme Park, Montacute House, Petworth House, West Wycombe Park and Waddesdon Manor, owned by the National Trust, Brodsworth Hall, Kenwood House & Osborne House are owned by English Heritage and are open to the public as museums as part of the so-called "Stately home industry". Some, including Wilton House and Chatsworth House, and many smaller houses such as Pencarrow in Cornwall and Rousham House in Oxfordshire are still owned by the families who built them, retain their treasures and are open during summer months to the public. Fewer still are owned by the original families and are not open to the public: Compton Wynyates is one. Easton Neston in Northamptonshire, one of the last of the architecturally important country houses never to have been opened to public viewing, was sold in 2005 for £15 million by Lord Hesketh.

The majority have become schools, hospitals, museums and prisons. Some, for example, Cliveden, Coworth House, Hartwell House, Peckforton Castle & Taymouth Castle, have become luxury hotels. Examples used as schools or other educational uses include Ashridge House, Bramshill House, Dartington Hall, Harlaxton Manor, Heslington Hall, Prior Park, Scarisbrick Hall, Stowe House, Tring Park & Westonbirt House. Hewell Grange is now an open prison. Compton Verney is now an art gallery, Cusworth Hall is now the museum of South Yorkshire Life, Duff House & Paxton House are outstations of the National Gallery of Scotland, Temple Newsam House is a museum of the decorative arts, St Fagans National History Museum is based in and around St Fagans Castle, Wollaton Hall is now a natural history museum. The National Portrait Gallery (London) has several outstations at country houses: Montacute House is partially used to display Elizabethan and Jacobean portraits; Beningbrough Hall is used to display 18th-century portraits and Bodrhyddan Hall displays 19th-century portraits. Alton Towers has become an amusement park. Knebworth House stages rock concerts in the park. Glyndebourne has an opera house attached. Port Lympne is now a zoo, several houses also have Safari parks in the grounds: Knowsley Hall (The house has never been open to the public), Longleat & Woburn Abbey. Clouds House is used as a centre for treating alcoholics and drug addicts. Moor Park is a golf club-house. Halton House is used by the Royal Air Force and Minley Manor is used by the army. Another common use of country houses is to convert them for multiple occupation Kinmel Hall, New Wardour Castle, Sheffield Park House & Stoneleigh Abbey whose former park Stoneleigh Park is used for exhibitions and agricultural shows. Culzean Castle, Margam Castle & Tatton Hall are at the centre of country parks. Goodwood House is a centre of both horse & motor racing. Ince Blundell Hall is now a nunnery. Toddington Manor is being convert into an art gallery and home by Damien Hirst. Many houses are now in the ownership of Local government and operated as country house museums including Ashton Court, Aston Hall being the first to be so owned from 1864, Cardiff Castle, Heaton Hall & Tredegar House. Ditchley is owned and used for conferences by the Ditchley Foundation. Some houses have survived as conserved ruins: Kirby Hall, Lowther Castle & Witley Court. These are among the fortunate few. In Britain during the 1920s to the early 1960s, thousands of country houses were demolished including East Cowes Castle, Hamilton Palace & Nuthall Temple.

Today owning a "Country House" can be a mixed blessing. Usually listed as a building of historic interest, they can only be maintained under Government supervision, often interpreted by the owners as interference as the most faithful, most accurate, and most precise restoration and recreation is also usually the most expensive and the one Government inspectors insist upon. This system does, however, ensure that all work is correctly and authentically done. The negative side is that many owners cannot afford the work, so a roof remains leaking for the sake of a cheap roof tile. Although the ownership or management of some houses has been transferred to a private trust such as Blair Castle, Burghley House, Grimsthorpe Castle and Hopetoun House. Other houses have transferred art works and furnishings under the Acceptance in Lieu scheme to ownership by various national or local museums, but are retained for display in the building. This enables the former owners to offset tax, the payment of which would otherwise have necessitated the sale of the art works, for example tapestries and furniture at Houghton Hall are now owned by the Victoria and Albert Museum. Increasing numbers of country houses hold licenses for weddings and civil ceremonies. Another source of income is use as a film location, many of the houses listed on the page have been used for this purpose. Many of the larger houses are available for hire for Corporate entertainment. Another source of revenue is using houses for Murder mystery games.

Our Country House currently isn't open to the public but we do allow filming & weddings to take place there.
Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:29 am
@His Lordship,
I have wasted some little time reading this drivel, which made me realize i wasn't interested. I thought i'd tell you so that you don't waste anymore of your time.
His Lordship

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:36 am
@Setanta,
Thankyou I will send you an expensive vase as a sorry present. By the way I didn't write that wikipedia did. If you are still interested in Servants & Country Houses ask me a question & I will reply as soon as possible.
Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:41 am
@His Lordship,
His Lordship wrote:
If you are still interested in Servants & Country Houses . . .

So, reading comprehension is not one of your signal skills, huh?
His Lordship

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:50 am
We according to some people have an awful lot of Servants, I think there are about 30-somthing.
The Servants are:
1 Butler, 1 Housekeeper, 1 Cook (we did have a Chef and another cook till the credit crunch), 1 Chauffer, Lady's Maid (To help my wife with her correspondence & getting Dressed), Nanny (For the Children), Valet (To help me with my correspodence & getting dressed), 4 Footmern (Till the Credit Crunch Six), 1 Between Maid, 1 Hall boy, 1 bootboy (They do the most menial tasks & wait upon the upper servants, The between maid also serves the Servants at dinner time), 14 maids (6 housemaids, 6 Kitchen Maids, Scullery Maid, Nursery Maid. We did have 18 but then Credit Crunch), & Gardeners Grooms Gamekeepers & then the Townhouse Servants which I do not even bear to think about.
His Lordship

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:52 am
@Setanta,
That was not entirely adressed at you, I retract the £4,000 vase!
0 Replies

His Lordship

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:53 am
@His Lordship,
Sorry we only have 28 servants.
0 Replies

His Lordship

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:54 am
@Setanta,
Do you think I should delete this ''drivel'' as you so call it.
His Lordship

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:56 am
As it is nearing one I a heading off to have Lucheon goodbye Setanta. If you are still here please discuss Servants country houses drawing Rooms and all that ''drivel''.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:57 am
@His Lordship,
My opinion hardly matters--i don't believe you can delete it. However, i would suggest leaving it in place, even if you could delete it, so that people will have a place to drift off into other discussions, equally as meaningless, or more so.
His Lordship

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:15 am
@Setanta,
Thankyou I will leave it on. Actually are you in Yorkshire at the moment because I'd love to meet you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:19 am
Is it true that when a Yorkshireman wishes to dip his headlights, he drives to the Lake Country?
dadpad

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:20 am
personal anecdotes rather than copy paste would be welcome.
30 (approx) staff is a big outfit.

I recently visited a so called historic stately manor in england and was impressed with the domestic facilities as they would have been in times past.

There used to be a chap posting here who had a manservant, I believe he was a Lord or something. Pendlebury or something similar was the manservants name.

"Servants" are still employed these days even in some less well heeled homes. They are called contractors and may not be employed on a full time basis, only coming in when actually required.
It is not uncommon in my area for a couple with children to have a person who cleans 1 or 2 days a week.
Other homes may contract out washing and ironing or send clothing to a commercial cleaner.
Gardening and yard service companies are common here as well. Power tools allow them to service 3 or 4 clients per day where in years past they may have been able to only service the one client.

In addition reduced sizes of homes and grounds allow for less staff to be employed.
Prepared ready to eat meals are now available at supermarkets across the country so people who may have been employed as cooks now work in resteraunts or other food industries.
In short i dont really believe that employing a "servant" or 5 would improve anything about the culture or economy we now live in.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:20 am
That other thead that you're posting in, about drawing rooms and morning rooms? It's more than four years old--i doubt that you'll get much of a response there.
His Lordship

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:25 am
@Setanta,
I know you called me Bubba!
Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:27 am
@His Lordship,
No, i just called you Bubba . . . Yo is simply a means of getting your attention.
dadpad

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:29 am
Cussworth Manor near Doncaster in Yorkshire.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/dadpad/Doncaster%20England/P8050034-Copy.jpg

His Lordship

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:29 am
@Setanta,
I don't really know being London born myself I don't really understand the locals. I bought the Housemaids Grammatical dictionarys for christmas last year because I had trouble understanding them. Most of them are from Round here.
0 Replies

His Lordship

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:30 am
@dadpad,
Bueatiful, not as big as our place but bueatiful.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Country Houses & Servants
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 02:00:47