too moist hashbrowns

mater1

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 05:27 am
When I make hash browns, I grate the idaho russets and try to dry them out with paper towel. But no matter what I do, they alway's seem to fry up soft and mushy. Is there any way to make dry crisp hash browns home made?

mater1

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 05:30 am
2208124-GV2JBLLI
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 05:38 am
You could grate them into sugar water. That's how commercial french fries are made to come out "crispy brown," they are dipped in sugar water before being frozen. I can't say if the method works, though, because i have never tried it for hash browns.
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:07 am
@Setanta,
usually you boil the potatoes first for hash browns cause you dont deep fry them like fries and they still retain a lot of water in the raw spud. When you boil em they fry up crispier.
Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:10 am
Good thinkin' there FM . . . me, i'm too gluttonous to wait, i shred 'em and fry 'em and eat just as soon as they cool down enough so that i won't burn my mouth.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:46 am
I don't mind if they are not very crisp. But, my wife has always mistaken the moisture for an excess of grease. I had quit making them for that reason. I will try boiling them next time.
Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 07:54 am
Excess of grease? What's that?
0 Replies

mater1

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:17 am
@farmerman,
Thanks for the response, I will give the boiling a try
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:24 am
As a matter of fact, we just had some fried potatoes for breakfast--more or less like home fries--and i always boil those first, because they otherwise will take to long to cook, and the eggs and onions and sausage would be overdone.

They came out crispy brown.
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:29 am
@Setanta,
I made some soft boiled eggs n toast chunks (whatya call toast chunks when ya butter em up and then cut em into little squares?) Theres a name for that and its not toast chunks.

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:31 am
Lady fingers?
farmerman

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:33 am
@Setanta,
thanks, Hint: dont start that advice column quite yet
Tai Chi

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:34 am
@farmerman,
The British call long skinny toast strips soldiers. Chunks? I dunno.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:34 am
There's some a them taters still in the skillet out there . . . they're callin' my name . . .
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 11:35 am
@edgarblythe,
when I want hashbrowns, I make a coupla extra baked potatoes the night before.

then pop them in the fridge till morning.

they make for excellent hash browns after you shred them.

I never start with raw taters...
0 Replies

mater1

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:56 pm
@Setanta,
I alway's par boil potatoes for home fries after refridgeration. Just never thought to attempt gratting them after boiling and cooling. The key word kiddy's is hash browns, not home fries.
mater1

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 03:02 pm
@mater1,
I appreciate all the advice, however I did write concerning hashbrowns. That being the key word here. I have a firm grasp on how to make homefries. Iwill try the boilng first and then fridge to cool. Just never thought you would be able to grate them into hashbrowns after that process.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 05:09 pm
If you want to try your method again, put them in a tea towel and wring most of the moisture from them. Just patting them with a paper towel does almost nothing to lower the moisture content.
roger

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 05:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
What would longer cooking time do? I do like my hashbrowns quite crisp.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 06:19 pm
Here are some videos showing various methods for crispy hashbrowns:

This one uses the grated raw potato, wringing out method that results in crispy hash browns that have been semi-deep fried in oil.

This one uses the grated raw potato, no wringing or drying out method and results in pale, soggy hash browns.

This one uses the same method as the first one, but uses little oil, fresh potatoes, medium temperature.

This one uses par-boiled potatoes and diced potatoes.