What's the best thing to do for evil, mutant blisters?

dadpad

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:11 am
Plain ordinary sticking plaster. the cotton backed sticky tape you get at the chemist. NOT i repeat NOT badaids or special blister bandaids. Plain ordinary sticking plaster tape.
You need to stop movement of the blister against whatever it is rubbing against and allow the skin to breathe. the cotton backing on the tape allows this to happen

Tape over the complete blister and surrounding area with several layers, as tightly as possible without causing pain. if this means going round your foot several times, do so. This kind of tape is usually available in a variety of widths so get narrower stuff to go around toes and wider tape for the rest of the foot.

I've used this so many many times it not funny, and it saved my life in Edinburgh.

Take the tape off at night just before bedtime and dry well after bathing using a hairdryer if convenient. Re-apply tape next morning. Repeat as required.

I disagree with any kind of soaking unless real infection is present. If that was the case use warm/hot salty water.
JPB

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:15 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
They half stuffed my overseas trip...now they are threatening my exercise program!

No additional suggestions for your blisters but, if you'll excuse the digression for a moment, how are your ribs?
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:16 am
@dadpad,
Another consideration might be the impact on your blisters of shoes you wear to work, etc, Deb. (ie your non-walking shoes.)

littlek

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:24 am
This is a curious thing, Deb.

Prevention seems to be the key thing here. 2 pairs of socks SHOULD help prevent blisters. Even if they are quite thin for your work shoes. You can get sock liners here for wearing under other socks.

And I'd go see a podiatrist, too.
dadpad

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:38 am

use the tape deb.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:52 am
@dadpad,
<starting to see dadpad's point>
jespah

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:10 am
@ossobuco,
Amazon sells moleskin.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:16 am
@dlowan,
http://www.thewalkingsite.com/blisters.html
ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:19 am
@dlowan,
Our dance instructors always tell us to have an epsom salt footbath after particularly tough practice sessions (to prevent blistering) as well as if people have blisters (to help dry out the blisters).

I used to have problems with blisters until I got better at selecting shoes with enough room for appropriate socks.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:22 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
Where do you get moleskin?

Hereabouts: Walmart, Walgreens or Osco Pharmacy. In Oz: chemist, I would think.

Dr. Scholl's sells them:
http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/index.jsp
http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Moleskin-Padding-Strips/dp/B001OPJ8KS/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_1
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:22 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I am getting them from long walking...so the crocs are good for slopping around the house, but not a solution for the problem.

Hmm, I disagree. I flat LOVE my crocs, and would wear them 24/7 if I could get away with it. I often change into a pair around the office. I go anywhere/everywhere in them. I've read about someone who hiked the Appalachian Trail in a pair. I see nothing wrong with walking great distances with them, and I have found them to be, by far, the most comfortable pair of footwear I've ever owned.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:24 pm
Another idea might be "Nu Skin", which is a liquid bandage. Supposed to be good for blisters. I've used it for cuts, but not for blisters, so I cannot vouch for it. Stings going on, that's for sure.

http://www0.epinions.com/reviews/New_Skin_Antiseptic_Liquid_Bandage_1_Fl_oz/sec_~opinion_list/pp_~2/sort_~prdrt/sort_dir_~des

Maybe put Nu Skin on, then cover with moleskin.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:35 pm
Crocs are dead ugly but I hiked all through Thailand in a bright orange pair, not a blister to be seen. However, they are a dangerous choice when they or your feet get wet.
My best friend constantly gets blisters, doesn't matter what type of shoe. I think some people are more susceptible.
farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:40 pm
@dlowan,
I suggest that you may have an onset of type II diabetes. Thats been awfully long for them not to heal. Stop yer exercise until you get them to heal
dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:57 pm
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

use the tape deb.

I'll give it a go!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:57 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Another consideration might be the impact on your blisters of shoes you wear to work, etc, Deb. (ie your non-walking shoes.)

Nah...they're from the long distance walking.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 01:58 pm
@ehBeth,

Thankee.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 02:29 pm
@littlek,
Definitely podiatrist.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 02:44 pm
@ehBeth,

I'll have a look...thankee.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 02:46 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I suggest that you may have an onset of type II diabetes. Thats been awfully long for them not to heal. Stop yer exercise until you get them to heal

Oh, they heal fine...they just get renewed whenever I walk a long time. That is, a new blister forms under the healing one.
0 Replies