The moment is all we have...

NAACP

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 10:17 pm
As finite cognitive beings, is there any argument out there that could oppose the notion that every moment is all we have. Consequently the past plays such a major role in our lives as the moment(no pun intended) we do something, it INSTANTLY becomes "the past" or something that we've already done and have no control over whatsoever as it's already done and over with. Therefore the majority of our thoughts and perceptions are of the "past" or of things that we ultimately have no control over. Main cause for depression? How often do we have "new" thoughts(so to speak) or thoughts of the future? How often do you personally? Even so, that's all you are in THAT moment is a thought, you didn't DO anything.........So what can we do to make our moments more prelevant and meaningful?

Thoughts??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,541 • Replies: 48
No top replies

NAACP

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 11:15 pm
C'mon people I KNOW you've got to have some thought provoking..........thoughts(lol) on this one! Let's hear them..
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 02:23 am
@NAACP,
Quote:
So what can we do to make our moments more prelevant and meaningful?

Cast a spell?
Francis

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 05:21 am
@laughoutlood,
laughoutlood wrote:

Quote:
So what can we do to make our moments more prelevant and meaningful?

Cast a spell?

Would that be this side of the Mediterranean?
0 Replies

NAACP

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 08:54 am
Dissapointed in you all!
djjd62

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:23 am
@NAACP,
then our job here is done

everyone drink the koolaid
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 09:26 am
@NAACP,
Are you appointed to diss us?

It would make us all disappointed in you...

NAACP

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:02 am
@Francis,
Ah, you can spell and I can't.

Bravo, you get a cookie (Smile
Francis

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 10:20 am
@NAACP,
Good!

Following a Pavlovian reflex, I'll do better next time..
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 11:22 am
@NAACP,
I think your topic somewhat overlaps many discussions already most have had on a2k - including "free will."

Sorry you're not getting the response you were hoping for.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 07:58 pm
@NAACP,
Maybe the past is all we have.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2010 11:43 pm
@rosborne979,
That's what memories are made of.
0 Replies

NAACP

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 08:50 am
@rosborne979,
"The past" doesn't exist! It is merely a misconception one individual can have when he/she looks upon another person/animal/thing. What's "already done" isn't true for the individual as he/she still has the ability to repeat the action that which he/she is referring to as "the past". In other words, if "the past" DID exist in the way we see it and it was NOT a misconception, it would render life COMPLETELY and utterly futile as the moment an individual did anything it would instantly become "the past". This obviously cannot be true unless you passively accept this common misconception.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 10:36 am
@NAACP,
If the past doesn't exist, what are you doing responding to the past here on this thread?
chai2

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 01:11 pm
I think living totally in the present would be utter misery.

We could not enjoy lovely memories, learn from our past mistakes, or be able to plan for a woderful future.

The present is the vehicle we are traveling in, on our way to and through more delightful scenery.

If we lived only in the present, we'd all be sitting in a pile of our own feces.

NAACP

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 04:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Read up ^ You're still having that misconception.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 04:44 pm
@NAACP,
My comprehension of the English language is pretty good; you'll have to point out to me what I'm missing.
NAACP

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 04:50 pm
@chai2,
"I think living totally in the present would be utter misery.

We could not enjoy lovely memories, learn from our past mistakes, or be able to plan for a woderful future.

The present is the vehicle we are traveling in, on our way to and through more delightful scenery.

If we lived only in the present, we'd all be sitting in a pile of our own feces."

Ah yes, BUT if you did live TOTALLY in the present(and it had always been that way) would there be such a thing as "misery"? No, you wouldn't know such an idea. "Memories" as you put them are(in my mind) nothing more than a vast recollection of a different experience, in order for you to "have" the "memory"something has to "trigger" it by either something you presently hear/see. Plan for a wonderful future? How far ahead can you truly "plan" outside of the very near future? Further than you can presently see still leaves many uncertainties as you cannot be totally sure of the things/people/places you will see and how your own mind will react to it. What you're suggesting is a misconception, as regardless of what you or anyone says WE ARE living in the present moment. It's just sometimes we get "caught up" so to speak. Life is one moment, until it is no more as we knew it.

0 Replies

NAACP

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 04:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
"The past" is nothing more than an idea any individual can have at any given moment they're alive. An individual sees someone/something "do something" and they refer to what just happened as something that someone/something just did, or "already'' did. Through inductive reasoning we think all beings/things to have some sort of likeness to ourselves so we commonly mis-percieve this to be true for ourselves as well. This, however is false. "The past" is nothing more than a vast recollection of a DIFFERENT experience. Notice - DIFFERENT experience, not a PREVIOUS experience(that's important).

I can only give you information, what you do with it is up to you.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2010 05:05 pm
@NAACP,
NAACP wrote:
Quote:
"The past" is nothing more than an idea any individual can have at any given moment they're alive.

You provide nothing most people already understand. What's your point?
0 Replies