Tell me your thoughts on this....

Lash

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 06:42 pm
@NAACP,
I looked at this days ago and almost responded... But, now that engineer has - and since you (NAACP) seem to just want other's opinions about yours -

I think you can fail. I do like the "live right now" aspect of your belief system...and I DO think we're screwed if we subscribe to "society's" rather materialistic idea of success - but we can fail.

I don't even know what you mean by "Don't talk, it's selfish."

I agree most expectations are mistakes - but I feel that we need some of our own chosen expectations or goals. I disagree that living in the moment is all we can do.

But, all in all, I think some of the items you post here do have the ability to move the more antsy of us closer to personal serenity.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 06:50 pm
@NAACP,
sounds like you believe in fate or some other such silliness

good luck to you
Ionus

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 07:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
sounds like you believe in fate or some other such silliness
If we had all the variables it could be calculated what the chances of something happening really are...the fewer the variables the more reliable the outcome, generally speaking. The closer to the event, the fewer the variables, again generally speaking. If by fate, someone means we know our future then they are wrong. If they mean fate is something that must happen, they are correct.

If I tell you I will not walk 3km to the shop today because I am feeling lazy, and instead I will drive, that is 100 % certain. The chances of a car crash can be determined. But whether or not I have a car crash is certain. It is just the chances of it happening hide the reality of whether it will or not.
0 Replies

NAACP

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 07:11 pm
@Lash,
First let me start off by saying I appreciate your opinion, seems like you actually gave it some thought before posting. Thank you.

Now, as far as the "failure" aspect of the post. It is simple. An individual(as a whole) cannot fail. Anything that is done is only a "failure" if that individual marks it as one.

Talking is selfish because the only thing that could ever come out of the mouth of the individual would be from that individuals "world" so to speak. Whenever you talk, you're either expressing a thought you've had in the past, or a thought your having at the moment your speaking.

Expectations seem to put a certain "preface"(if you will) in the moment you make them(the expectation) as anything that happens thereafter could easily be seen as a mistake as it didn't "line up" with your expectation.

"Personal serenity" - Love how you put that! I believe that's what I'm working towards personally.

Once agian, thank you.
0 Replies

NAACP

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 07:14 pm
@ehBeth,
Where do I ever make a reference to fate? What part of my post did you find "silly"? Please elaborate.
0 Replies