Seeing

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 05:50 pm
how do you know what your seeing is really what is there? the only reason we think we see what we see is because it is what we have been told we are going to see and forced to see by society our whole lives. but your eyes do not see, your brain sees. supposivley, everything you see is upside down and backwards. Then why do we see it rightside up and feel it physically right side up? there is a spot in your eye that is just a black spot and your eye cannot see, but your brain fills it in. so how do we know that anything we see isnt completley made up and non existent? how do we know that 2 things that separate people see are the same? we can both tell you that they are orange, but how do you know that the "orange" is the same color to both of us? we both only see orange because that is what we have been told is orange. how are we actually seeing? because your eyes only revceive the image and transfer is to our brain, so how do we know that is what we are really seeing? how does it get to where it is able to be visible to us? how do we know it is what we are really seeing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,188 • Replies: 10
No top replies

laughoutlood

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 07:14 pm
@wcpirates13,
Quote:
Seeing

One way of knowing more would be to see an opthalmologist.
Caroline

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 07:27 pm
@laughoutlood,
Or an optometrist.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 10:26 pm
@wcpirates13,
wcpirates13 wrote:

how do you know what your seeing is really what is there? the only reason we think we see what we see is because it is what we have been told we are going to see and forced to see by society our whole lives. but your eyes do not see, your brain sees. supposivley, everything you see is upside down and backwards. Then why do we see it rightside up and feel it physically right side up? there is a spot in your eye that is just a black spot and your eye cannot see, but your brain fills it in. so how do we know that anything we see isnt completley made up and non existent? how do we know that 2 things that separate people see are the same? we can both tell you that they are orange, but how do you know that the "orange" is the same color to both of us? we both only see orange because that is what we have been told is orange. how are we actually seeing? because your eyes only revceive the image and transfer is to our brain, so how do we know that is what we are really seeing? how does it get to where it is able to be visible to us? how do we know it is what we are really seeing?

Neither do my eyes see, nor does my brain see because either my eyes nor my brain has eyes to see, and people need eyes to see. The person sees.

I know that orange is the same color for both of us because we both identify it as orange, and we both (I hope) slow down when the traffic light turns from red to orange. What would make you think that we do not both see orange?
Caroline

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 10:59 pm
@kennethamy,
Nice to be seeing you kennethamy, do you see what I did there.
wayne

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 11:31 pm
@kennethamy,
If you really slow down when the light turns orange, you are one of the rare few. Most people speed up.
wayne

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 11:38 pm
@wcpirates13,
What you see now are replicas of the letters I typed when I wrote this post.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 11:42 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:

Nice to be seeing you kennethamy, do you see what I did there.

You aren't seeing me. Where?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 11:43 pm
@wayne,
wayne wrote:

If you really slow down when the light turns orange, you are one of the rare few. Most people speed up.

Yeah. I am speaking about heaven.
0 Replies

Amphiclea

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 02:07 pm
@wcpirates13,
Actually, we never see "what is there." What we see is light bouncing off whatever is there. "Seeing" is the collecting of light and the conversion of it into a mental image. So the real question is: Does the mental image I form correspond in some way with the original object and with the mental images other people form? Kant seems to have decided this is a question we can't answer, but I would say the answer is yes, because the original object, the light, my mind and other people's minds are all part of a single process, the coming-to-be of the cosmos, in which my knowing and yours is part of the self-knowing of the cosmos. (I suspect this is a minority view, though.)
0 Replies

wcpirates13

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2010 03:39 pm
@kennethamy,
yes we both slow down for the orange light, because we know it is an orange light, it is orange to us! but how do you know that that color that both people call "orange" do not vary in shade or color to that persons eye. they always see orange but how do we know that our oranges our the same? ya get what im trying to say?
0 Replies