"Free Willy" Dies

patiodog

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 08:36 am
Did he little guy migrate, or did he just stick around the sound?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:06 am
Springer? The little female? I investigated a little bit, and I was wrong. Apparently she is OK and that's really good news. She was seen again in July 2003 with A-pod, her grandmother's pod, where she was relocated a year ago. Here's a photo from 2002.
http://www.orcanetwork.org/images/A61-A51-A73-A43-A60-A69.jpg

It is Luna, the male, who is still having problems, complicated by being from Puget Sound but in Canadian waters. He is still a loner:from the Dec. 13, 2003 KOMO TV news website

Quote:
(Keiko's death will not deter)... next spring's planned relocation of a young killer whale from waters off Vancouver Island to his home waters in Washington state.

"We are not daunted by this in our quest to see Luna get back home," he said.

Canada and the United States plan to collaborate in an effort to move the young male from remote Nootka Sound on the west coast of Vancouver Island to his home waters.

Whale experts hope he will reunite with "L" pod, his family.

Luna has been Canadian waters since he became separated from his family more than two years ago. He has grown increasingly aggressive in his interaction with boats, posing risks to both himself and boaters.

After consulting with experts, Canada decided this fall to attempt the move in the spring.

Last year, the U.S. National Marine Fisheries Service and Canada's Department of Fisheries and Oceans worked with public and private groups to successfully relocate an orphaned Canadian killer whale - 2-year-old A-73, also called Springer - from busy Puget Sound to waters near Vancouver Island, where she rejoined her family.

This is a cool map showing the latest sightings in this area:
Orca Sightings Map
0 Replies

RocketPants

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:04 pm
patiodog wrote:
(Snuck into the whale performance area at Marine World one time when they were closed for the day and got a tour from the sympathetic handler. Their orca's name is/was Sunny. Got to toss her some fish. Friendly thing. Utterly devoted to the handler. The captivity is very, very sad, but it was damn hard to imagine Sunny going out and fending for herself. She was already around 30, though, so she'd grown pretty acclimated to her sedate little life.)

There was never a whale in captivity named Sunny. I'm not sure who you could be thinking of, considering the names of the whales that lived at Marine World weren't even similar to Sunny. When did you see her?

Keiko was never a good candidate for release. He should have stayed in Oregon. But now he's dead, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Springer is doing well, and is with a pod. Luna is expected to be reunited with his pod later this spring.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 06:25 pm
Here's an interesting, interactive site that has statistics and photographs of the current whales in captivity.

List of Orcas in Captivity
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 07:29 am
Huh. Dunno. Could have sworn the name on the sign was Sunny (or Sunni) -- appears to have been Vigga, and to have been younger than I remembered, too.
0 Replies

RocketPants

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 10:38 am
Yeah, you probably saw Vigga, since she was alone the last few years of her life, after Yaka died.

You didn't happen to get any photos, did you?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 12:01 pm
Nah, not a picture sort. This was before I moved to Chicago -- sometime late last century. Still bugs me about the "Sunny" thing. I'm way to young for stuff like that to be happening in my head. Maybe it was the trainer...
0 Replies