power of attorney

FERRARO

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 06:00 pm
my parents recently got a involuntary seperartion.At te time i was power of attorney for both my parents.The goverment asked for the power of attoney and i provided it to them.Recently my dad changed his power of attorney but can he change my mothers power of attorney once it takes effect.Really at a loss can anyone give me some direction?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 914 • Replies: 3
No top replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 06:07 pm
@FERRARO,
My feeling is power of attorney is just representation in court. If your mother gave you the power of attorney regarding her welfare your father has nothing to do with. It is your mother you are representing. Your father didn't want you representing him as he is leery of you.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 07:22 pm
@FERRARO,
The government asked for the power of attorney? Which government?

I'm somewhat at a loss as to the actual situation.
jespah

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2010 04:02 am
@roger,
I'm with Roger. I can't really see an instance where the government would ever want this.

Your parents are still, presumably, competent adults. Hence your father cannot decide such things for your mother. What is possible, though, is that you may have been asked to relinquish something during the separation proceedings, due to a conflict of interest. But a power of attorney would most likely not be such a situation -- I suspect that this isn't even a power of attorney at all (e. g. not a means for you to make medical and financial decisions for someone, should they become incompetent) but, rather, may have something to do with the property division.

In any event, if it's confusing us, I can only imagine how much it's confusing you. I am assuming (hoping!) that one or the other of your parents has legal representation due to the separation going on -- ask the lawyer what is happening and be prepared to pay for the answer, but at least you will know for certain.
0 Replies