Please answer asap! For school project. Good questions for you!

Intrepid

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 02:19 pm
@aidan,
You were much more diplomatic than me. Smile
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 02:22 pm
@aidan,
Well now you could'nt lose your little instruction manual or you might not work any more. But hey, good luck with that, too each his own.
Intrepid

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 02:24 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

Well now you could'nt lose your little instruction manual or you might not work any more. But hey, good luck with that, too each his own.

You should get an instruction manual yourself. couldn't and to would show up in the manual.
aidan

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 02:24 pm
@Intrepid,
That was an integral part of my fine Christian brainwashing - 'a soft voice turneth away wrath' you know....Proverbs - right? Or wait - maybe that's Ben Franklin....I don't know - all part of my conditioning.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 02:26 pm
@eurocelticyankee,

Quote:

I'll always work- I don't like sitting around.
Thank you for your good wishes.
I wish you the best too.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 02:29 pm
@aidan,
I wish you nothing but the best Aidan, health and happiness to you and yours,
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 02:32 pm
@Intrepid,
A keyboard is not my forte, I type with one finger so these mistakes tend to happen, a lot.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 02:37 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
. . . Hum, I dont see why you are concluding that. Posting the questions on several
places is an obvious course of action to gather a large number of answers, which
he probaly needs if it is a school project.

I agree. That would not be a good reason for my suspicions. The whole thing
just doesn't pass the sniff test for me.

Well, we'll see.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 03:10 pm
@Intrepid,
As you like the English language.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 07:22 pm
@George,
Quote:
The whole thing
just doesn't pass the sniff test for me.

Well, we'll see.

Maybe we will, George. Wink
It seems a highly unlikely school project to me.

0 Replies

-SugarNSpice-

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2010 09:29 pm
@wb4life,
1. Christianity, God is amazing Smile

2.forever because he is amazing

3.no, not on a regular basis but sometimes

4.i believe that my lord jesus is my savior and that he died for my sins, i dont really know about other religions so..

5. i believe that i should spread the word of jesus and how he died on the cross for our sins

6.yes, but then i remembered to have no other gods and to believe what the bible said

7.god created the wold in 6 days and on the seventh was to rest, and if you believe in the lord and what he has not you go to heaven

8.idk, yes i do because it gives them a set of guidlines

9.it has givin me something that i can always go to

10.u would have nothing i believe
0 Replies

manored

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 03:21 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:

You got your first bible aged six !!!!. The brainwashing started early in your family.
Reading the bible accelerated my leave from christianity =)

No, really, the god from the old testament is brutal and childish. I never got to the new testament because I got stuck into the incredibly boring part about songs, and then I left christianity.

aidan wrote:

Whatever - call it what you will.
I guess it is a sort of conditioning - just like you were conditioned by your family and their beliefs.
The conditioning I got in my family has served me very well -I'm sure you'll be happy to hear.
Thank you very much for your interest and concern.
Ever child is "brainwashed" by its parents, teaching your children what you believe to be correct is natural after all.

I have to comment though, that christianity and... well, most religions, do feel awfully like brainwashing. They try to convert you/ keep you on the religion with treats (you will go to hell if you dont follow) and try to keep you from thinking about it by saying that even doubting the religion/god is a sin. Its a though structure built to keep you inside that structure, it feels like a trap. I was a christian once, and I was held back by those things on my way out. Actually... I think I resent the religion because of that =)
aidan

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 03:58 pm
@manored,
Quote:
I have to comment though, that christianity and... well, most religions, do feel awfully like brainwashing. They try to convert you/ keep you on the religion with treats (you will go to hell if you dont follow) and try to keep you from thinking about it by saying that even doubting the religion/god is a sin. Its a though structure built to keep you inside that structure, it feels like a trap. I was a christian once, and I was held back by those things on my way out. Actually... I think I resent the religion because of that =)

Yes, I have heard people say similar things and I don't doubt that this is how you felt - and how some other people feel.
And in that case, I'd say it seems that since your particular experience didn't work for you, it's probably good that you dropped it and found yourself another way.

On the other hand, I never felt trapped or resentful of encouraged not to think or afraid of doubting. My experience did work for me - I don't regret or resent it at all.

George

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 08:41 pm
@aidan,
My experience is similar to aidan's.
0 Replies

manored

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 01:09 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:

Yes, I have heard people say similar things and I don't doubt that this is how you felt - and how some other people feel.
And in that case, I'd say it seems that since your particular experience didn't work for you, it's probably good that you dropped it and found yourself another way.

On the other hand, I never felt trapped or resentful of encouraged not to think or afraid of doubting. My experience did work for me - I don't regret or resent it at all.
Yes, whenever you feel treated or not depends on what version of christianism you get (There are at least five different branches of christianism just on my city, what is kinda funny, actually.) and your personal interpretation of it.

However, you didnt remain as a christian, you wandered off (or so your answers suggests). That kinda confirms my view of classic christianity, which is that it is a contradictory religion that survives as a belief by blinding people to those contradictions.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 01:51 pm
@wb4life,
This is a school project and the first question is:
What is your religion?
It is rather narrow question when we think about how many religions there are.
Secondly if I answer Christian the question of denomination is missing.
There is a great difference between the denominations, so just to answer Christian is too narrow.
4. This question is almost impossible to answer for a student. It is not clear either as you have to know a lot about different Christian denominations as well as other religions and their denominations.
Lutherans donĀ“t have to be saved and emphasis on Christ instead of Jesus.
6. Not so far
7 Both are mysteries
8 To live decently. Yes. Not moralistic and not puritan.
9. Confidence and optimism
10 More boring
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 05:28 pm
@manored,
I too grew up in a holy home, a generous sprinkling of holy water everyday, prayers for every occasion, my poor grandmother used to fall to her knees in worship every time the priest called to the door. I always resisted it, I guess cause I read a lot, learned to think for myself and always had a healthy suspicion of anything man was involved in. It turns out I was right to be suspicious, when you see what has happened with the catholic church. I just feel sorry for people like my grandmother, how her blind faith and worship was rewarded. I'm just glad she passed away before most of the disgusting facts came out. I have doubt that the catholic church is not alone in it's abuse of power, all religions are the same, their all run by man after all.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 02:58 pm
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 03:00 pm
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2010 03:03 pm
0 Replies