Afterlife.......

Dasein

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 02:06 pm
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

The way I see "life" or my own existence is quite simple. Whatever I am 'thinking' about or whatever I am doing in that moment is exactly what and who I am.(as I said in that moment) So going forward what that way of thinking, everything is done in a moment so I literally create myself within each moment.

JPL;

There is no "my own existence". That implies that 'existence' is something that has the ability to be 'my own' as if Be-ing doesn't encompass all of it.

Also, you can't 'create' what has already been created, you can only un-cover it or cover it up.

You also said,
Quote:
Can't you technically "come up"(so to speak) with any sort of cunclusion while you're alive, and call it whatever you want so as to support your own conclusion?

That's exactly what 'philosophers' do. When they are 'thinking' and come face-to-face with the possibility of the impossibility of their existence and experience the 'death' of who they've been Be-ing, they 'create' a way to communicate what they've experienced by turning it into a 'thing'. That's how we got subject/object, animal rationale, Dasein, Cartesian philosophy, etc. You are tasked with the job of rigorously 'thinking' through those concepts all the way to the end until you uncover Be-ing and experience the same 'possibility of the impossibility of your existence. This is what Heidegger means when he speaks about 'running towards death' and 'anticipatory resoluteness'.

Keep going.
JPLosman0711

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2010 08:40 pm
@Dasein,
Ok maybe I'm just stupid, or too young to understand, but I've read your latest post many times over and I still can't seem to understand it. Perhaps you could simplify it for me?

Trevor(Eager to learn)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 06:46 am
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:
Ok maybe I'm just stupid, or too young to understand, but I've read your latest post many times over
and I still can't seem to understand it. Perhaps you could simplify it for me?

Trevor(Eager to learn)
Maybe u 'd like to learn about this: www.IANDS.org

WELCOME to the forum, Trevor.

R u a student ?

David

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 06:56 am
They looked about themselves in bemusement.

"It's not so much an afterlife," said Arthur, "more a sort of apres vie."

The chandeliers were in fact a little on the flashy side and the low vaulted ceiling from which they hung would not, in an ideal Universe, have been painted in that particular shade of deep turquoise, and even if it had been it wouldn't have been highlighted by concealed moodlighting. This is not, however, an ideal Universe, as was further evidenced by the eye-crossing patterns of the inlaid marble floor, and the way in which the fronting for the eighty-yard long marble-topped bar had been made. The fronting for the eighty-yard long marble-topped bar had been made by stitching together nearly twenty thousand Antarean Mosaic Lizard skins, despite the fact that the twenty thousand lizards concerned had needed them to keep their insides in.
A few smartly dressed creatures were lounging casually at the bar or relaxing in the richly coloured body-hugging seats that were deployed here and there about the bar area. A young Vl'Hurg officer and his green steaming young lady passed through the large smoked glass doors at the far end of the bar into the dazzling light of the main body of the Restaurant beyond.

Behind Arthur was a large curtained bay window. He pulled aside the corner of the curtain and looked out at a landscape which under normal circumstances would have given Arthur the creeping horrors. These were not, however, normal circumstances, for the thing that froze his blood and made his skin try to crawl up his back and off the top of his head was the sky. The sky was ...

An attendant flunkey politely drew the curtain back into place.

"All in good time, sir," he said.

Zaphod's eyes flashed.

"Hey, hang about you dead guys," he said, "I think we're missing some ultra-important thing here you know. Something somebody said and we missed it."
Arthur was profoundly relieved to turn his attention from what he had just seen.

He said, "I said it was a sort of apres ..."

"Yeah, and don't you wish you hadn't?" said Zaphod."
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 07:56 am
@Dasein,
What to say to someone who speaks on the possibility of the impossibilitty? How can one avoid laughing or crying upon such nonsense and so much naivety and confidence?
0 Replies

Dasein

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 08:31 am
@JPLosman0711,
JPLosman0711 wrote:

Ok maybe I'm just stupid, or too young to understand, but I've read your latest post many times over and I still can't seem to understand it. Perhaps you could simplify it for me?

Trevor(Eager to learn)

'Stupid' is a concept . . . nobody is stupid!

'Not understanding' is part of the process of uncovering Be-ing. Maybe not understanding what I wrote is a good thing because it means you're engaged and you haven't stopped thinking/Be-ing.

Over the past 15 years I have read Being and Time almost 74 times (I'm currently in the middle of the 74th time). Many times while reading I heard the 'stupid' dialog. I even heard my 'self' complaining "How many times do I have to read this damn book to get anything out of it? At one point I just had to tell my 'self' that my quest has led to me sitting down and reading Being and Time and I needed to trust my 'self' for Be-ing here and keep reading. I had to tell myself not to care if I 'understood'. There were times I noticed that I was coming to conclusions about what I was reading only to realize that I was wrong. I typed all 387 pages of the book on my computer and that got me more 'understanding' than all the reading I had done up to that point.

What you're finding out is that you can't force your own presuppositions and conclusions on Be-ing. You need to give your 'self' a break and trust the process of uncovering who you are.

Get a copy of Being and Time, read it 74 times and then try to tell me you're stupid - LMFAO. BTW, in the middle of the 74th reading there are moments I feel stupid - it never goes away. If you never want to feel stupid again stop questing.

Being and Time is not a book with a beginning and an end. It is a conversation you choose to engage in throughout the time you have on this planet. 'Understanding' (goodies) is a by-product of the conversation. Keep uncovering who you are, nobody will do it for you and most of them will invite you to lead your 'self' astray.
JPLosman0711

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 09:03 am
@Dasein,
Yes Dasein it is true that I NEVER stop thinking.......and I will certaintly read Being and Time(or at least attempt to) Like I said before I am eager to learn, I want to know everything I can know....

"Being and Time is not a book with a beginning and an end. It is a conversation you choose to engage in throughout the time you have on this planet. 'Understanding' (goodies) is a by-product of the conversation. Keep uncovering who you are, nobody will do it for you and most of them will invite you to lead your 'self' astray."

This rang a bell in my head, not sure what it means but I enjoyed it.

No David I am not a student.

Trevor
Dasein

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 09:22 am
@JPLosman0711,
JPL;

You already know everything you can know, you just have to uncover/discover it. That's why you engage in the conversation called "Being and Time".

The question you are attempting to answer is "Who Am I". That question assumes that there is an "I" to be uncovered. You are not "finding' your 'self' as if some 'thing' is missing. You are uncovering/discover a Be-ing that already exists. You couldn't ask the question "Who Am I" if you didn't already exist.

One other thing, philosophizing is like drinking water, you have to allow your body to process what you already drank before you can drink any more.

For all you nit-pickers out there, 'knowing' and 'memorization' are not the same.
JPLosman0711

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 10:46 am
@Dasein,
Got it.
0 Replies