question for auto mechanic

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:27 pm
Tried to change the rear brake shoes on a 2003 Corolla today. But, the drum would not slide off and I was in danger of damaging it by prying, so I quit. It's not like changing the shoes on a 65 Mercury or something. I know I can complete the job, once I get that drum loose. Who knows how to do it right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,657 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
Most likely, the old shoes have worn a groove in the drum, and the ridge at the outside of the drum is binding when you try to remove it. Don't know your model, but there should be a tiny access port on the axle that will let you back off the adjustment enough to let the drum clear the shoes. If this is the situation, you are also going to have the drums turned.

Oh, wait. This was a question for mechanics. I used to be a bookkeeper, though.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 06:12 pm
@roger,
Thanks, Roger. I haven't let the shoe eat into the drum. But this drum is more flimsy than on an old style car. I have since learned from a friend who goes by name of rocks or something like that to get two bolts and screw them into the threaded holes. By working them evenly, they will force the drum off of there.
0 Replies