Why do the Abraham religions not use God’s true name?

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 09:09 am

Ex 3; 13And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
14And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
15And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

God is given many names by Christians and Muslims and the other Abrahamic faiths.

Yet the Bible says that I Am or I AM THAT I AM is the true and eternal name of God.

Could it be that the Church or Mosque fathers do not want people to recognize the Gnostic implications of the God within being recognized by the rank and file?

Is that a form of deception?

Is God’s true name, I Am and why are we not using it?

===============================

Further, while speaking of names and titles.

"I, even I am the LORD and beside me there is no Saviour." Is.43:11

If God is insisting that no one but himself is ever to be called “saviour,” then He and His inspired Bible writers should never have called anyone else by that exclusive title.

Why then is Jesus, who is not the Lord, called saviour. He should not be unless you buy into that ridiculous trinity doctrine.

Regards
DL
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,992 • Replies: 39
No top replies

NoOne phil

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 09:23 am
@Greatest I am,
The text also states that it is sealed to man's understanding.
What do you make of that? Do you believe you understand it?
oldcrowe

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 11:26 pm
@Greatest I am,
That is an EXCELLENT question!
Please keep in mind that at the time of this conversation, Moses was 80 years old. He had spent four decades exiled from his people, the Israelites, who were slaves in Egypt. One day, while tending his father-in-law’s flocks, he saw a strange phenomenon. A thornbush was on fire, but it was not being consumed. It just kept burning, shining like a beacon on the mountainside. Moses approached to inspect. How startled he must have been when a voice spoke to him from the midst of the fire! By means of an angelic spokesman, God and Moses then conversed at length. And, as you may know, God there commissioned a hesitant Moses to leave his peaceful life and return to Egypt to deliver the Israelites from slavery.You can read this account at Exodus 3:1-12.
Now, Moses could have asked God any question whatsoever. Note, though, the question he chose to ask: “Suppose I am now come to the sons of Israel and I do say to them, ‘The God of your forefathers has sent me to you,’ and they do say to me, ‘What is his name?’ What shall I say to them?”—Exodus 3:13.
You might find that odd, for Moses already knew God’s personal name, since God's personal name was commonly used by the ancient Isralites. That question teaches us first of all that God has a name. We must not take this simple truth for granted. Yet, many do. God’s personal name has been removed from countless Bible translations and replaced with titles, such as “Lord” and “God.” This is one of the saddest and most reprehensible things that has been done in the name of religion. After all, what is the first thing you do when you meet someone? Do you not ask his name? It is similar with getting to know God. He is not a nameless, distant entity, beyond knowing or understanding. Although invisible, he is a person, and he has a name—Jehovah. Many Bibles actually have this name in print at Psalms 83:18. Why not look in your Bible to see if it is there?
Furthermore, when God reveals his personal name, something great and thrilling is in the offing. He is inviting us to come to know him. He wants us to make the best choice we can make in life—to draw close to him. But Jehovah has done more than tell us his name. He has also taught us what it means.
Moses evidently wanted to learn more. Really, in asking God’s name, Moses was asking about the person represented by the name. In effect, he was saying: ‘What can I tell your people Israel about you that will build their faith in you, that will convince them that you really will deliver them?’
Greatest I am

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 12:23 pm
@NoOne phil,
NoOne phil wrote:

The text also states that it is sealed to man's understanding.
What do you make of that? Do you believe you understand it?

Well, scripture says that God will correct those he loves so if he loves anyone who thinks about it, he will correct any mistakes in thought.

As to what I think man can understand; I place no limit on us.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 12:29 pm
@oldcrowe,
oldcrowe

FMPOV to give God a name is to go to idol worship.

I always find it strange that Christians read literally scriptures that the original Jews and Hebrews never took literally.

You might want to learn where the Bible actually came from.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x84m5k_2007doc-zone-pagan-christ-1-of-3_news

Regards
DL
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 03:25 pm
@Greatest I am,
Thank you for sharing, this is where my studies have led me as well but the video seems to put it much more clearly!
djjd62

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 03:50 pm
why wouldn't you just use her real name, it's Myrtle, Myrtle Greenbaum
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 04:57 pm
@djjd62,
You just spoke over my head! Please explain
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:07 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

why wouldn't you just use her real name, it's Myrtle, Myrtle Greenbaum

Myrtle dammit djjd, would you PLEASE get out of my head.

I was gonna say "with a name like Irwin, would you go by it if you didn't have to?"

Do you realize, we speak over philosophers heads?

Makes me feel good about myself, warm and self satisfied, like I just ate a Hersey Bar.

Oh wait, I just did eat a hershey bar. Irwin/Myrtle cursed me with a cold, and I had to eat chocolate
reasoning logic

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:25 pm
@chai2,
At least you are being funny about it and made me laugh.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 06:46 am
@Greatest I am,
Quote:

The funny thing about the original question is that it presupposes that God speaks English. In fact, the Biblical passage that is quoted is written in Hebrew.

Not surprisingly, the Ancient Hebrew word for God (used throughout the Torah) is MRTL, which means "I am" and which is commonly pronounced Myrtle.

djjd62

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:01 am
@chai2,
i've never been accused of speaking over someone's head, i have however been accused of being out of my head
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:03 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Not surprisingly, the Ancient Hebrew word for God (used throughout the Torah) is MRTL, which means "I am" and which is commonly pronounced Myrtle.

yeah, that's her, she's an OAP, spends her days riding the MTA, and her evenings at AARP meetings (or so she says, i think they're really AA meetings but WTF do i know)
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:47 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Thank you for sharing, this is where my studies have led me as well but the video seems to put it much more clearly!

My pleasure.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:50 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:

The funny thing about the original question is that it presupposes that God speaks English. In fact, the Biblical passage that is quoted is written in Hebrew.

Does it matter?
Does God hear your words or does he hear what your heart is saying?
If God thinks it that important then he will write it on our hearts, not with vulgar letters that produce sound. he hears the dumb who cannot speak as well as those who can.
Does a parent care how a baby pronounces a name when crying for it’s parent. Not at all. The parent will respond regardless of what gurgles from the mouth.
In religious terms, to fixate on the name is idol worship.

Regards
DL
farmerman

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 06:42 pm
@Greatest I am,
Actually it is
"IYAM what IYAM,
AND that is all that IYAM
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:42 pm
God never said his name was I am. He said "tell them I am that I am" meaning I am God, I am what I am" so to speak, meaning as I understand it, his name doesn't matter, what and who is he is what matters.
Eorl

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:30 am
Maybe he meant "Ian" maybe god said "my name is Ian" but maybe it wasn't a common name at the time and they just didn't get it.
Maybe if we all pray to our lord Ian, something might actually happen? Although knowing my luck, it'll just land my in trouble with Almighty Allan.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:55 am
@Greatest I am,
The name is the thing, and this is revealed in our myths and fairy tales... To call things by their proper name was once an official study, I believe of Confusianism in China... It is the power of all our forms/idea/and concepts; that to know the thing is to recognize the significance of its name, that is the name of concept, by which it is classified...

Primitives simply had primitive ideas of the matter. that as forms are spiritual and give us power in the physical world, that a form of a spiritual nature gives power in the real world as well... We cannot say how our physical forms give power either, or what constitutes knowledge in a world primarily alive with ignorance, but if it were possible to call to your aid the power of the universe with a word, would you not avail yourself of that opportunity at times, and if it works for you, would it not work as well for your enemies???
djjd62

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:01 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
To call things by their proper name was once an official study, I believe of Confusianism

but, if you were trying to be confusing, wouldn't you call things by other names Confused