Why do the Abraham religions not use God’s true name?

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:26 am
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:
God is given many names by Christians and Muslims and the other Abrahamic faiths

Other faiths? What faiths would those be, Bubba? You've got the Jews and . . . uh . . . well, the Jews. What a fuckin' idiot.
Greatest I am

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 07:10 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

God never said his name was I am. He said "tell them I am that I am" meaning I am God, I am what I am" so to speak, meaning as I understand it, his name doesn't matter, what and who is he is what matters.

And what and who is he?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 07:13 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:

The name is the thing, and this is revealed in our myths and fairy tales... To call things by their proper name was once an official study, I believe of Confusianism in China... It is the power of all our forms/idea/and concepts; that to know the thing is to recognize the significance of its name, that is the name of concept, by which it is classified...

Primitives simply had primitive ideas of the matter. that as forms are spiritual and give us power in the physical world, that a form of a spiritual nature gives power in the real world as well... We cannot say how our physical forms give power either, or what constitutes knowledge in a world primarily alive with ignorance, but if it were possible to call to your aid the power of the universe with a word, would you not avail yourself of that opportunity at times, and if it works for you, would it not work as well for your enemies???

Sure but no one ever has from what I can see.

Regards
DL

0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:29 am
Good grief ! That's about all I would tend to emotionalize having read through this mix of cross-fire in passing. Is the OP serious in any degree? Learned in the particulars which would address such concerns? Desirous of any level of real answer/explanation?

Classic Hebrew is the language (as pointed out). Pre-exilic traditions were the cause more than the source, and Second Temple period scribal efforts were much to be regarded for the exemplars to our later texts which survived---later Jewish superstition notwithstanding.

YHWH is the personal name of that god model. The best translation of that Hebrewism into English is 'that causes to be.' The later neo-Platonic overtones which Christianity forced into the texts are incorrect.

Myrtle is a beach down near Ala/Florida ways, not a bitch, so there should be no confusion with YHWH...or any other of them gods.
djjd62

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:49 am
@KaseiJin,
of course Myrtle's a bit of a Yahwhoo, look at her followers

http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/westboro(2).jpg
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:30 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

Fido wrote:
To call things by their proper name was once an official study, I believe of Confusianism

but, if you were trying to be confusing, wouldn't you call things by other names Confused
Good won!!!
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:34 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:
God is given many names by Christians and Muslims and the other Abrahamic faiths

Other faiths? What faiths would those be, Bubba? You've got the Jews and . . . uh . . . well, the Jews. What a fuckin' idiot.

Isn't it illegal to say "Jews" on the internet???... They will take credit for everything good, but don't try to stick them with their garbage... Forgive me Mosad... Just kidding... I've got Jews in the family... Really; I'm almost one of you without the intolerable conceit or avarice.... Really
Fido

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 01:44 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin wrote:

Good grief ! That's about all I would tend to emotionalize having read through this mix of cross-fire in passing. Is the OP serious in any degree? Learned in the particulars which would address such concerns? Desirous of any level of real answer/explanation?

Classic Hebrew is the language (as pointed out). Pre-exilic traditions were the cause more than the source, and Second Temple period scribal efforts were much to be regarded for the exemplars to our later texts which survived---later Jewish superstition notwithstanding.

YHWH is the personal name of that god model. The best translation of that Hebrewism into English is 'that causes to be.' The later neo-Platonic overtones which Christianity forced into the texts are incorrect.

Myrtle is a beach down near Ala/Florida ways, not a bitch, so there should be no confusion with YHWH...or any other of them gods.
A primitive person would not supply you with his name any more than a semen sample... It is like a voodoo doll... If you have a part of the person you can control the whole person, and nothing is more personal than the name... We have our tales in English about the power of a name... In Africa there is the story about how Isantha the hippo got his name... People in the past respected the power of language to accomplish a task... Back when songs were charms, and rhymes were curses, the world thought differently...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 02:57 pm
@Fido,
What
an
idiot
maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:28 pm
The name of the one true God is Atheos.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:51 pm
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:

Arella Mae wrote:

God never said his name was I am. He said "tell them I am that I am" meaning I am God, I am what I am" so to speak, meaning as I understand it, his name doesn't matter, what and who is he is what matters.

And what and who is he?

Regards
DL
Read the bible.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 07:00 pm
@Arella Mae,
Just thankful that God sent his translator to explain this ****.

Not.
Fido

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:15 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

What
an
idiot

If you have tooths foxy, it must be to bite me with... Why not read a book about magic, or spend some time on anthropology... Otherwise... Shut the ef up... dumass

For animals with a brain I would recommend: The Folklore of Fairy-Tale by Macleod Yearsley; London, Watts and Co... 1924
Fido

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 08:30 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Just thankful that God sent his translator to explain this ****.

Not.

The one I liked was Abraham telling his servant to put his hand under his thigh when sending him on a mission to find a wife for his child... He was gving his oath, and that was the way Jews did it into the 17th century, on their testicles... I expect that was Shylock's pound of flesh that he loves best... Sort of give a fresh meaning to testify...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 05:05 am
@Fido,
No, jackass, my remark referred to your disgusting racist remarks about Jews.

Jackass

Clown

Racist
Fido

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2010 09:00 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

No, jackass, my remark referred to your disgusting racist remarks about Jews.

Jackass

Clown

Racist

My son is a Jew, and I have lived with them, and the way the news media and everyone in government runs scared of offending them makes me sick... How many people died in the holocaust??? 6 million??? No... Ten and perhaps eleven million counting all, but they only count the Jews as humans as if the rest had it coming... So be disgusted, and see if I care... I know what they do to people and I should be scared, and I am some; but they don't have time for no bodies like me... At least, not yet...

And what makes you think there is a Jewish race??? Where ever they go they incorporate people into their community, and just like my Ex, share genes...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 08:52 am
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:

For the same reason people don't call Santa Clause, Chris Kringle. Because when the concept of the entity exceeds the identity of the entity, then you focus on the concept.
Greatest I am

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 11:22 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

For the same reason people don't call Santa Clause, Chris Kringle. Because when the concept of the entity exceeds the identity of the entity, then you focus on the concept.

To focus on the concept of God is good. It should lead to ideal laws but to focus on God himself, who cannot be known, then it is a waste of good brain power.

God, the word, should mean rules only.
Believers have made the word God mean man’s wish list.
What a waste of God, so to speak.

Regards
DL
Fido

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 12:15 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

Nonsense... There is no concept for infinites... Concepts are what we do know, and are not what we can never know... You might call God a quasi concept if you wish, so you can talk about what you do not know as though you do, but all you will be doing in the end is building imagination out of ignorance, and demonstrating to all who care how well you can waste your life and the opportunity life gives to all to do good... To have an identity, one must have a finite object at hand... As long as you cannot say where God leaves off and the devil begins you might as well not bother....
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2010 12:17 pm
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:

rosborne979 wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

To focus on the concept of God is good. It should lead to ideal laws but to focus on God himself, who cannot be known, then it is a waste of good brain power.

God, the word, should mean rules only.
Believers have made the word God mean man’s wish list.
What a waste of God, so to speak.

Regards
DL

You are between half right and all wrong... But don't give up...
0 Replies