dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 04:14 am
Quote:
Famous Octopus Dies, Donates to a Sea Turtle Rescue Center

Paul, an octopus at the Sea Life aquarium in Germany, correctly predicted the winner of all seven games of the World Cup. He made his predictions by opening one of two clear plastic boxes, each bearing a team flag and containing a mussel. His predictions attracted worldwide attention, and he was subsequently paid to support England’s 2018 World Cup bid. Paul also received hundreds of requests to go to Spain, but his agent turned them all down.

Paul died in his tank Tuesday morning of natural causes at the octopus old age of 2 ½ years. The aquarium hasn’t decided how to commemorate Paul yet, but they may give him a burial plot and modest shrine on the aquarium grounds. “Paul’s name will live on the Greek island of Zakynthos, where a permanent sea turtle rescue center funded in part by donations generated by the famous octopus is being established.”

From The Australian Newspaper:
Quote:

SO farewell then, Paul. The world's most famous octopus, the underwater Nostradamus, the eight-armed cephalopod prophet of the football pitch, has died in his German aquarium.

The good news, though, is that foul play is not suspected.

Death threats had rained down on the Weymouth-born mollusc as he consistently predicted the outcome of the World Cup matches this summer.

By correctly tipping Serbia to beat Germany, Germany to beat England, Spain to beat Germany in the semi-final and Spain to beat Holland in the final, he succeeded in making enemies in England, Germany and Holland.

For many fans, especially in Argentina, correctly predicted to lose against the Germans, it was a case of wanting to grill the messenger bearing bad news.

The internet was hot with octopus recipes - sliced, fried with garlic and wine was a favourite - and security around his tank in the Oberhausen Sea Life Centre was doubled.

RELATED COVERAGE
Vale Paul the Octopus
Paul the psychic octopus found dead

Iran pronounced him decadent; President Ahmadinejad said that the mollusc was spreading Western propaganda, and there were rumours of an octo-fatwa.

Kazakhstan betting syndicates, furious that they had been out-guessed by an octopus, or indeed anyone born in Weymouth, swore revenge.

The Spanish Government offered Paul a safe haven.

Yet he appears to have died a natural death. He had been sluggish for weeks and, while an octopus always has problems getting out of bed, it was clear that he was on his last legs.

"We found Paul dead at the bottom of his tank," said a spokeswoman, Tanja Munzig.

"Over the last few days he had not been so active and had eaten little. We are all very sad." Paul was two years and ten months old; the normal lifespan is about three years.....

Story continues here...(with video)...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/paul-the-octopus-didnt-see-his-death-coming/story-fn63e0vj-1225944119474

Sob...

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,049 • Replies: 23

Letty

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 04:33 am
@dlowan,
Ah, Deb, that is sad.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/10/27/alg_resize_oracle-octopus.jpg

For you Paul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NokALAW-DCE

Sorry, but I can't do adobe.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 05:15 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Quote:
Famous Octopus Dies, Donates to a Sea Turtle Rescue Center

Paul, an octopus at the Sea Life aquarium in Germany, correctly predicted the winner of all seven games of the World Cup. He made his predictions by opening one of two clear plastic boxes, each bearing a team flag and containing a mussel. His predictions attracted worldwide attention, and he was subsequently paid to support England’s 2018 World Cup bid. Paul also received hundreds of requests to go to Spain, but his agent turned them all down.

Paul died in his tank Tuesday morning of natural causes at the octopus old age of 2 ½ years. The aquarium hasn’t decided how to commemorate Paul yet, but they may give him a burial plot and modest shrine on the aquarium grounds. “Paul’s name will live on the Greek island of Zakynthos, where a permanent sea turtle rescue center funded in part by donations generated by the famous octopus is being established.”
Did thay apply CPR to save him? or artificial respiration ??

David
dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 05:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Well, I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be kissing no octopus beak...and he wouldn't have had any lungs.

Also, I have no idea where octopii have their hearts.

Octopus beak:
http://marine.alaskapacific.edu/octopus/specimens/beak25.4kg-PacStar.gif

And they have TWO hearts! Who knew!
http://universe-review.ca/I10-82-octopus.jpg

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 06:23 am
@dlowan,
That 's Y we have 2 hands (for CPR).

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 06:25 am

and remember to take that thing out of your mouth,
while u r at it, so u don 't burn him
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 09:56 am
Well, Paul had a long and full life, as octopi go. Now he belongs to the ages.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:05 am
Aw, good old Paul. RIP.
dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:10 am
@littlek,
What a guy!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 10:13 am

I heard that he did not smoke much,
but he drank a lot.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:11 am

I don 't believe the rumors that he was a poor equestrian
(tho he did tend to slouch a bit).
dlowan

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I think the thread has joined Paul, David.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:47 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
I think the thread has joined Paul, David.
Yeah, I think u r right, dlowan.

I was trying to bring them both back.

David
dlowan

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 05:49 am
@OmSigDAVID,
It's time to let go, David.

(Why do I always feel like Hal when I am talking to you?)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2010 06:03 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
It's time to let go, David.
With all 8 arms.
(10, if u count mine)

dlowan wrote:
(Why do I always feel like Hal when I am talking to you?)
I liked that movie & book.

I bought the movie on videotape.
My friend, Don, has bad eyesight n trouble reading.
In the 1970s, I read him the whole book,
at nite, over several nites, when he was one of my tenants.
(That was b4 the movie became available on videotape.)

David
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 12:49 pm
Quote:
It's been three months since Paul the octopus died and six months since he completed his fantastical run of perfection, eating the food out of boxes associated with eight different World Cup matches. And now, instead of quietly fading into obscurity, the German aquarium where Paul lived is squeezing his famous tentacles for those last bits (namely: ashes and attention). When Paul died, the manager of the aquarium said that a permanent shrine "may seem a curious thing to do for a sea creature." But now, that curious thing is a reality.

On Thursday, the Sea Life aquarium in Oberhausen, Germany unveiled a creepy yet fitting 6 1/2-foot tall monument of an oversized Paul the octopus limply crushing a large ball featuring the flags of all the 2010 World Cup nations' flags. I'm assuming this represents how for one summer, an octopus used the game to become overlord of the human world.

Inside the monument is a golden urn containing Paul's ashes. Yes, they cremated an octopus...
Source

http://i53.tinypic.com/2zjmels.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/azdqas.jpg
dlowan

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 02:08 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I think I'm speechless.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 03:12 pm
I thought the walrus was Paul . . . what's all this nonsense about an octopus?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 03:20 pm
@Setanta,
Well, if you've never been in the octopus' garden, and since you're an eggman on the mystery tour, well, you can get confused like Lucy in the sky.
George

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 03:27 pm
I just read an article about the increasing popularity of scattering human
ashes at sea. At Oberhausen they are holding a sea creature's ashes on land.

Curiouser and curiouser.
0 Replies