Is this another factor in the "Global Warming" debate???

fishin

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 12:26 pm
Interesting tid-bit from today's news:

Quote:
Report: Earth's magnetic field fading
Slight chance of flipping magnetic poles

Friday, December 12, 2003 Posted: 9:45 AM EST (1445 GMT)

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- The strength of the Earth's magnetic field has decreased 10 percent over the past 150 years, raising the remote possibility that it may collapse and later reverse, flipping the planet's poles for the first time in nearly a million years, scientists said.

The full story can be found here:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/12/12/magnetic.poles.ap/index.html

The story seems to imply that the weakeniing magnetic field may be at least partially responsible for the ozone hole over Antartica... More fuel for the fire (so to speak..)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 837 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 03:29 pm
I doubt very much this is connected to global warming in any significant way.

Incidently, the ozone hole and global warming are not linked. They are two separate issues with separate causes and seperate consequences. They do not significantly affect each other.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 03:31 pm
fishin - I'm hearing ya - and agreeing about 80%.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 03:44 pm
husker wrote:
fishin - I'm hearing ya - and agreeing about 80%.

Shocked Hmmm.. I don't know that I'm sayin' anything! lol

I'm just asking here - I'm not sure what to make of the story.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 05:15 pm
NorthPole Info

and:

Code:Despite its remote location, tourists occasionally visit the town to experience North Pole adventures, searching for everything from polar bears to Santa Claus to an even more elusive target.

During a 1984 survey, Newitt and colleagues were approached by a newlywed couple with a strange request.

"When they heard we were going to the pole they asked if they could hitch a ride. When asked why they wanted to go there, they replied that they wanted to conceive their child there," Newitt said.

The honeymooners did not make the trip, but other couples, also believing that the location nurtures fertility, have chartered small planes to the forbidden spot, set up tents on the ice and conducted their business.

Nothing about the magnetic field at the pole would have a significant effect on humans, Newitt said. But ever the scientist, he added:

"It would be interesting to track the children of these polar trysts for the next couple of decades."
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2003 06:01 pm
Well guys, put a handle on the earth and get ready for the flip. It promises to be the best ride since parachuting.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2003 12:25 pm
i'd file this under:
put enough red herrings in a big pile, and the resuling stink will distract attention from Kyoto!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 17 Dec, 2003 01:16 pm
Yes well, we'd hate to have any scientific data 'slip out" that might just demonstrate that the Koyoto Agreement was nothing but a pile of red herrings itself now would we?
0 Replies