LIVING THINGS...?

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 08:52 am
Hello!

If sperm, bacteria and viruses are indeed living things (which they are), Which classification do we apply to them?

Animal or plant?

Thank you, and bode magnificently!
Mark...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,456 • Replies: 13
No top replies

NoOne phil

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 03:15 pm
@mark noble,
A definition (Set Theory) determines class membership. It is a standard. All one can do is apply it. So, what definitions do you propose for "animal" , "plant", and "life"?
mark noble

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 02:47 am
@NoOne phil,
IMO Everything that absorbs, expands and discharges energy is a living thing. Ergo, everythng is alive.

Also IMO, I believe everything to be conscious.

Whether classified as 'animal, vegetable or mineral (these are human labels alone), all things are living and conscious.

Thank you, and prosper accordingly!
Mark...

NoOne phil

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 03:57 am
@mark noble,
Then the discourse is pointless.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 04:03 am
@mark noble,
Another tour de force in idiocy by the undisputed master of allegedly philosophical idiocy.
NoOne phil

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 04:24 am
@Setanta,
And it helps to call names? Do you also kick the lame? Anyone who cannot use the first principle of Logic, is simply blind, blaming them for it does not help.

Schools are set up to habitualize the mind for rote, is it any wonder, that at some point in their life, when asked to rationalize they can do no more than fantasize?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 04:34 am
I would kick a lame man who consistently attempted to kick me. That is the case with this member, who has consistently attempted to belittle and vilify me, because when it first arrived here, i pointed out the silliness of many of it's contentions. For example, it started a silly thread about winking, and then attempted to make itself look clever by quoting Judeo-Christian scripture, and then denied being religious or even believing in a deity. When called on things such as that, it gets really, really nasty. So no, i don't have any problem at all telling this member how stupid its claims are.
NoOne phil

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 04:42 am
@Setanta,
We are all stupid.

I have this little saying of mine, Intelligence is relative, but it is no relative of mine.

As far as logic goes, Plato is hard, in fact, I have never seen anyone who actually understood what he was about, but scripture is several levels above Plato, it too uses logic in a particular manner, however, unlike Plato, scripture tells you straight out that it is sealed to man's understanding--but that one day the seals woud be loosened. The book is about judgment, and uses principles of judgment to test the reader.
It is a master piece of psychology, for through the use of metaphor, one reaches minds with many levels of ability.
This use of myth, for the mentally handicapped was also one thing that Plato deminstrated. Most take his myths as his beliefs, that is because they do not understand how a master at logic underststands the importance of myth. Myth is used to aid the lame, not to slay them.

This stand up puter I am on has one of those twisted keyboards and I cannot seem to type well or even correct. sorry
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:01 am
@NoOne phil,
I don't care about your typing. However, if you're going to allege that scripture has anything to do with logic, i doubt that you and i will have anything to discuss.
NoOne phil

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:15 am
@Setanta,
I am well aware of your stance.

But consider this, the purpose of the mind is to effect human behavior that maintains and promotes the life of the body.
It is comprised of two parts, emotion, and reason. Reason is evolutionarily young, not yet come unto its own.
In any case, a psycho-therapy, in the Pl0ntic, and defined sense, includes the ability to make the most with what you have. So, one not only studies logic, but how logic transforms into metaphor to create myths that evolve into understanding as the mind evolves into reason.

And if you doubt my word, read my Language and Experience. I will show you a little of how logic was used to construct the scripture, very easy examples--but historically significant ones
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:21 am
@NoOne phil,
You are not well aware of anything about me. See ya 'round, clown.
NoOne phil

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2010 05:24 am
@Setanta,
You really think you are psychologically special, don't you?
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2010 09:05 pm
Hi Phil!

See you met Setanta. She's a nice lady, in reality, just a little bit picky on certain subjects. Prone to overreact too.

Do you only perceive life as being an organic-based product then?

I mean, if you reduce any organism down to its prime components, you end up with the same base particles that are the composition of all matter.

Does this mean that life is dependant on the way in which atoms react with one another?

Imo, no.
Life begets life - It doesn't happen along at some specific accumulation of relative particles.

Anyway, you have a nice day sir!
Mark...
0 Replies

JorgeL

Reply Mon 28 May, 2012 07:29 am
Pity those responding to this point have used the question as an excuse for mutual masturbation.

Answering the question - sperm are a stage in a life cycle, not a biological species. Bacteria and viruses are neither plants nor animals.
0 Replies