An accurate view of the USA?

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 07:51 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
You keep alluding to some importance that I do not have.

Whatever importance you possess doesn't mean that you should lie and defend war criminals and felons.

Quote:
But, if you value our free speech in the U.S., you should stop making allusions to poster's opinions as reflective of the poster's character, since that can be seen as an attempt to disenfranchise the poster from his/her right to an opinion (aka, free speech). You are not arguing a point; you, in my opinion, are just functioning as the thought police

But I am arguing a point. The point is that civilized people don't provide support for those who commit war crimes or felonies. You're pretty hard line when it comes to ordinary people who commit crimes.

A guiding principle of the rule of law, are you familiar with that concept? is that no one is above the law. That principle is badly abused in the US, a country that brags that it is a rule of law nation.

Quote:
but character ad-hominems when a poster, such as I, is candid enough to say, "F*ck foreigners in foreign lands." [Foofie was proud of his succinct concluding statement.]

It's not an ad hominem to point out that now you just acting childish and ignorant, in the pejorative sense.
Foofie

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2010 07:42 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

It's not an ad hominem to point out that now you just acting childish and ignorant, in the pejorative sense.

You forgot "are" in the sentence above. Childish or not, I know how to proofread.

And, it is not childish to say "F*ck foreigners in foreign lands." It is a well thought out statement. It might be considered childish to say, "F*cking foreigners in foreign lands eat dingleberries." But, I did not say that. I only said, "F*ck foreigners in foreign lands."

Notice I did not just say, "F*ck foreigners," since if a foreigner is in the United States, I would be happy if he/she becomes an American citizen and learns to love his/her new country. And, then with God's help, in a generation or two, his/her descendants might say, "F*ck foreigners in foreign lands."

djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 05:58 am
@Foofie,
sounds like a grade A snob to me, i love living rural, now in terms of some of the folks around me, i've never fit in, even though i grew up here, i don't hunt, i'm not a farmer, but i'd never say, well statistics say your all hicks and beneath my notice, so why should i take you seriously

on the opposite side of the coin, i lived in Toronto for ten years, loved it, fit in well, found liked minded folks, good restaurants, live theatre and music, but in the end, being able to walk out the end of my property, cross a small ditch, wander through an orchard and come to a nice woodlot is more important to me

the thing is, you don't know who's on the other end of the keyboard, where they live is of no consequence, what they say is important

there are rubes everywhere
djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 06:02 am
@djjd62,
besides, you only have JTT's word where he/she might be from anyway, if your going to discount or accept his/her ideas based on information he/she could so easily fabricate, what's the point of using it as validation
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 09:22 am
@djjd62,
You are assuming I am making a value judgement about folks that live in different demographics. Not at all. I just know, from my observations, that many people subscribe to the "popular notions" that are DIFFERENT for urban and rural areas. Like rural folks might not know what to make of someone dressed very differently was suddenly in their midst, I believe. Not so for many urban folks, especially New Yorkers, in my opinion. There is an old joke that if extraterrestrials landed in NYC, they would not even be noticed; people are in too much of a rush.

I think the word cosmopolitan has a real meaning, and it most often does not apply to people in rural areas. And, parochial tends to correlate with the thinking of many rural folks. This is just sociology. Go argue with a sociologist.

djjd62

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2010 10:20 am
@Foofie,
but such generalities are crap on the anonymous internet, i can be whoever i choose from wherever , and you'd never know

so you choose to participate in discussions or not, to put conditions like, where a person is from is a moot point
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 26 Oct, 2010 06:22 am
@Foofie,
If it is not childish to say "f*ck foreigners in foreign lands," then it serves it is never childish to say **** anyone.

BTW, if it hadn't been for the French navy, the US might never have won its Revolt against Britain.
0 Replies