Connection

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 09:59 pm
There is a good possibility I'll just stop with the internet, for financial reasons, too soon.

If anyone wants connection, would you please pm me and post a real life address as in the street sort in the pm? email is good, but street is the default.

margo

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:07 pm
Yikes, Osso - who else is there to get us distracted!??? (or even dys-stracted!)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:10 pm
@ossobuco,
I always relied on the NYPL and living near an open residential wifi source. I haven't ever paid for high speed internet service since I moved to NYC 9 years ago.
aidan

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 10:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, Osso - I'm sorry to hear that. You are someone who really seems to enjoy the internet and use it to pursue your interests in art, food, photography, etc.

And I'll miss your contribution here. You always bring a smile - I like the way you think and phrase things- whimsically - but with this underlying directness, sometimes to the point of being blunt but never cruel - that I see the efficacy of and appreciate.
There's not really anyone else like you on a2k. You're an original.

If you'd like my address I will give it to you. Let me know.
dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:16 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

There is a good possibility I'll just stop with the internet, for financial reasons, too soon.

If anyone wants connection, would you please pm me and post a real life address as in the street sort in the pm? email is good, but street is the default.

Well bloody bugger and damn osso

Mebbe dialup?

That sounds like a bad thing for you to have to do

dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:18 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I always relied on the NYPL and living near an open residential wifi source. I haven't ever paid for high speed internet service since I moved to NYC 9 years ago.

I wonder if that'd work where osso is?

roger

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:47 am
@dlowan,
They don't have a branch anywhere close to where she lives. My library lets you have access for 30 minutes, which is maybe enough to wade through enough sites and sign ins to check email
dlowan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:55 am
@roger,
I wasn't clear...I wondered about wi fi near Osso?

Some cafes and such have it for the price of a cup of coffee....

Starbucks do...except in France...I gather.
sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 05:08 am
@dlowan,
Yes, Starbucks does here too...

Here's a wi-fi finder for Albuquerque (city-provided):

http://www.cabq.gov/wifi/

More generally:

http://v4.jiwire.com/search-wifi-hotspots.htm?result_display=list&technology_id=0&venue_group_id=0&city_id=0&disableBrowseBy=false&type=&latitude=&longitude=&country_id=1&state_id=33&city=albuquerque&hotspot_name=&address=&zip=&location_type_id=0&provider_id=0&radius=5.0

You can plug in your zip code...

edit: does Osso have a laptop? I remember mac, but don't remember if it's desktop or laptop.
Tai Chi

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 11:58 am
Does the Flying Star have WiFi? I seem to remember a lot of people working at laptops. And most of them had only bought a cup of coffee.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:03 pm
@Tai Chi,
Tai Chi wrote:

Does the Flying Star have WiFi? I seem to remember a lot of people working at laptops. And most of them had only bought a cup of coffee.

What a great way to get one's burger fix!

Lalalaaa! I have to go check up on what's happening at a2k. I guess I have to go to the Flying Star Cafe to find out.

What should I pick?
MOO-ve Over Meat (Veggie) Burger
Grilled, spicy southwest black bean patty with melted cheddar & Cajun dressing. Built like a serious burger (not vegan). 8.99

or the Blues Burger
Bleu cheese crumbles, sizzled applewood bacon & Swiss. 10.99
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 12:15 pm
@sozobe,
According to that second link, there are 27 free wi-fi locations in our zipcode.

I believe she only has the laptop.
roger

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 02:13 pm
I don't recall the price of coffee at Flying Star, but multiply by 30 days and I bet you would be better off with conventional access, though you would still have to brew your own coffee.
0 Replies

PennyAroundTheWorld

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 02:47 pm
I don't recall my email address - but I'd hate to lose touch!
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 02:53 pm
@PennyAroundTheWorld,
Here's a reminder to your Facebook page Penny:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000110978015
margo

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 03:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
Penny's staying with me, now - and I don't do facebook! I guess she can look for herself, though. I suspect Osso, sans internet access, will also not do facebook.
Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 03:04 pm
osso, Phooey on the Internet loss. I believe you have my street address. If you don't let me know and I'll send you a PM.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 04:11 pm
@aidan,
Yes, I would Aidan.

This is not that immediate, as I'm going to make a big effort to keep the internet.
Re wifi, I don't have a lap top..

I need the internet for my interests, including information to change my mind on different matters, my sanity, much companionship, to travel vicariously, visual pleasure re art and photography, on and on, but also will need it to sell items, which would help with income.

I am only one of many dealing with issues like this. I'm pretty used to it but sometimes the ground looks rockier one day than the next. It just occurred to me (while bill paying yet again) that I could use a list of my online companions.
When I left California, I sent emails to something like 75 long time friends/old colleagues from so called real life, and that was divided into 2 emails using bcc so no one saw each other's email addresses. One of those two didn't go through and by the time I figured it out I'd severed my connection with Pacbell dsl, and there may have been no way to trace that anyhow - and it took me a long time to catch up with the people on the M-Z end of the alphabet via regular old snail mail.

So, I figured I'll get a list going and print it out for such time as I may have to let the internet go. What I'd do with it, I dunno, maybe send another aggravatin' holiday letter.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 04:14 pm
@dlowan,
Yes, dialup is the first likelihood.
Shudder.
Roger still uses dialup, so he has names of dialup companies for me. Criminy, I can barely remember when I last used dialup, but I remember the aggravation.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2010 04:19 pm
@ossobuco,
You know you can add wifi onto your desktop as well but it will only work if there's an open connection from one of your neighbors.

If there aren't any close enough neighbors to ... borrow wifi internet access from have you considered going to a neighbor and asking to share the cost of internet access if they let you use their wifi connection (giving you the password and IP address)?

1. Forums
  2. » Connection
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:08:30