News from Camp Esperanza

dadpad

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 04:39 am
The TV coverage also had special resonance for Todd Russell and Brant Webb, two Australian miners who were trapped by an earthquake more than half than a mile (a kilometer) underground for two weeks in 2006. Both said they were overcome by emotion as they watched from half a world away.

But Russell, 38, warned that the freed miners face a harsh adjustment. He has suffered from insomnia and nightmares since his rescue and has been diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder, which he blames for the collapse of his marriage.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 07:57 am
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_la9cc2BG2Q1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 11:08 am
This world doesn't have enough of these human uplifting stories to keep us sensitive to human needs across this planet. We react to this kind of incidence at the moment with great joy about human accomplishments that by some are deemed miracles, but they are short lived. I'm sure this one will go into the history books, but how it impacts the future of humanity is a big question mark.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 11:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
The first rescuer was very brave to be the first to test the Phoenix. He hasn't received the bravos that he deserves.

BBB
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 11:20 am
There's a new game on the web ("Los 33"):

http://www.root33.cl/los33/

Maybe it's not great, but it's the first one.
sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 11:38 am
@fbaezer,
I like how the guys at the top hop around everytime a new one is brought up.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 11:40 am
@fbaezer,
cute

my wrist was getting sore from cranking the wheel Smile
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 12:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Maybe mining safety will become a priority. My brother works for a mining company up here. Some of it is surface but mostly they mine underground. He's the companies tech guy. Last year he was tasked with showing a Chinese contingent around several of the mines. They asked him how many miners were hurt and/or killed in the last 5 years. My brother told him they have an average of one injury per year, last year some one hurt a finger. They had no deaths in over 10 years. The Chinese couldn't believe it. They kept asking the question, in as many ways possible, hoping to trip my brother up and get to the truth...
Chile's mining record isn't nearly as bad as the Chinas but it's nothing to brag about. I hope this incident finally starts the process to make mining much safer worldwide.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 02:04 pm
@Ceili,
BBB, All test runs that have never been accomplished before has risks associated with it. That first guy does indeed deserve some accolade.

Ceili, I agree with safety/unsafety records of mines all over this planet; some countries are safer than others, and the US has had our share of "accidents."

China is already a basket case; they have already polluted one-third of their rivers including the Yangtze with their huge dam project. It has made the shortage of fresh water scarce in many parts of China including Beijing. They may be the upcoming super economy, but they are also killing their own people to accomplish it. China's record on coal mine accidents are atrocious; we hear about them on a regular basis.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 06:03 pm
I'm so disgusted with CNN, who is going to have a show to expose the private lives of the miners. They said they are going to discuss the mistresses of the married men. Why are they going to smear the reputations of the miners when their private lives have nothing to do with their entrapment and rescue?

Scumbag media once again!

BBB
dyslexia

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 06:05 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
so you will be tuning in?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2010 08:02 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BBB, I don't watch much TV and even less CNN. However, I agree with your point about the exploitation of private lives for their network gain. It is contemptable.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:26:53