News from Camp Esperanza

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 09:59 am
I watched the first man coming out of that capsule, and hugging his children, wife, the president and his wife, and the rescuers. It was a very emotional moment in human history - a miracle of sorts that belongs in Ripleys (or something).
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 10:01 am
I feel asleep last night with the TV on, I didn't see all the men rescued so far but I heard them... It's been very emotional for me too. All those beautiful smiles... Just praying they all get out safely.
They are replaying all the rescues now.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 10:54 am
Things are continuing without a hitch. They are bringing up at least one man an hour.

This has been so inspiring to watch. And they seem to have paid attention to every last detail that would help to keep these men safe on their way out of the mine. Such a marvelous coordination of efforts on the part of so many.

I keep thinking about those first 17 days in the mine, when these men had next to nothing to eat and probably little hope of ever being rescued. Their stamina has been amazing. The rescue effort has been amazing. What an incredible real life story this has been.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 11:18 am
This is so important in another respect. The miners were leaders in the movement which lead Allende to the Presidency in 1973. They suffered in the crackdown after Allende was killed and Pinochet took over. It is wonderful to me to know that the President is there and the Minister of Mines (whatever his office is called). That Chile as a nation should have reached this point is a wonderful thing.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 11:41 am
Just saw miner 16 emerge. A white haired gentleman, widower, father of six, grandfather of a bunch and great grandfather of a few. One of his sons was there to greet him. He hugged his sons and then fell to his knees and prayed.

This is real. This justs grabs ya and hangs on.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 11:52 am
18 up.

Each and every one of those hugs brings a tear or two to my eyes.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 01:11 pm
So inspiring! I saw the first couple of guys come up last night, a few this morning, and now they are going for #21. Hurray!!!!!

Love the hugs and chants and cheers and crying every time.

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 01:28 pm
I have a question. The last man, one of the rescuers, must be able to lock the rescue tube's door correctly from the inside? I can understand how he could hook up the oxygen pack and other devises, but I can't figure out how he can lock the door so it doesn't come loose if no one is there to do it from the outside.

BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 01:29 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
This is the American company that suggested their advice on how to rescue the miners. They also provided the equipment needed to reach the trapped miners. They were the perfect experts because they had the experience and equipment to drill through the very hard rock. They were already working in Chili and were able to get to the site quickly. Congratulations to them!

BBB

Welcome to Drillers Supply International
Manufacturer and Supplier of Mud Pump Parts, Drill Rig Parts, and Swivel Parts; Reverse Circulation Drill Pipe, Booster Compressors

Drillers Supply International is a quality manufacturer of replacement parts for the wide variety of mud pumps, centrifugal pumps, rig parts, and swivel parts found on the World market today. Such as Gardner Denver, Failing, Mayhew, National Oilwell, Emsco, Wheatley, and all others. In addition to supplying reverse circulation drill pipe and booster compressors Drillers Supply International is your #1 source for replacement mud pump and drill rig parts.

A highly trained staff uses state-of-the-art equipment and proven quality control methods to produce the finest mud pump replacement parts, reverse circulation drill pipe and booster compressors found in the market today.

http://www.drill-supplies.com/
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 01:52 pm
US drill & drillers, NASA advisors & astronaut food; the machine that lifts the capsule is Austrian and the capsule is made in Chile.
Ain't it a great example of human cooperation?

(Number 21 is the man with two women -- they met, and fought at the camp)
JPB

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 01:59 pm
@fbaezer,
ohhhhh..... was it the mistress who met him and not the wife?

Quote:
Yonni Barrios, 50, was the 21st miner to reach the surface via the "Phoenix" rescue capsule.

His home life became an issue when his wife confronted a mistress who had also gone to the mine to keep vigil. His wife had refused to be there for the rescue, but the mistress did attend, giving Barrios a big hug.

His sister, Lidia Barrios Rojas, earlier told London's Daily Telegraph that "he says quite simply that he loves them both, that they are both important to him and he wants them to be friends with each other."

Such drama!!!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 02:03 pm
Yonni Barrios is the Chilean version of Johnny Bravo. Smile

(Would Geraldo be there to greet him, had the drama been in the USA?)

... and number 22 is the one who, while underground, asked his girlfriend of 20+ years to marry him.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 02:08 pm
@fbaezer,
It was indeed. Mostly though I was impressed by the evident organization, unity of purpose and humanity and warmth of the Chilean folks on the web link. From government officials, managers, workers miners and families they all exhibited those qualities and often it was hard to tell them apart. It was very inspiring.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 02:36 pm
#23... it's so emotional every time!

I'm impressed with all those officials, unless there's been turnover they've been doing this for a very long time and they look just as happy with this latest one as with all the other ones I've seen.
JPB

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 02:38 pm
@sozobe,
about every 30 mins now. Much quicker.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 02:39 pm
@fbaezer,
CBC reports that Canadian companies are there to help, too.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 02:55 pm
I can't say enough about the President being there for each and every one of them, making small talk with the family members, engaging them and the miners when they ascend.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:00 pm
Twenty-four out of thirty-three. They should finish in six or seven hours.
sozobe

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:14 pm
@Setanta,
I would love to see that last one but realistically I probably will be in bed by then. (If they keep up the every-30-minutes pace, that'd be 4.5 hrs or about 10 PM EST -- that'd be nice.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Oct, 2010 03:18 pm
CBC has been saying every 40 minutes. They interviewed an oil-field supplier from Edmonton whose company provide the pipe liner for the pipe they're using. He said every 40 minutes was very fast, and they were not likely to go any faster. Can't vouch for the accuracy of that, though.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 01:05:40