Flinders University or UQ (St Lucia) ?

Eccles

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 05:36 pm
Very Happy Hello everyone,

Question Have any of you had the experience of moving to Adelaide or Brisbane? How difficult is it to find student accommodation in Brissie? How high is the cost of living? Could you recommend any good web sites?

Is it worth relocating to attend the University of Queensland (instead of Flinders)? Both unis have excellent reputations but UQ seems to be considered a little better (in terms of teaching quality and prestige). Will the university I attend influence my prospects (for finding a job as a Speech pathologist or a research position)?

If it helps, here is some information about myself : I intend to begin a degree in Speech Pathology in February. I come from rural South Australia so (of course) Adelaide is much closer and, if I get in any trouble, my family can help me (although this isn't necessary, I spent a two years overseas + managed to survive). I was fortunate enough to get good marks (99 percentile ranking), so I shouldn't have too much trouble getting in anywhere. I'd like to get involved in research, if possible. I don't have a great deal of money in my bank account (enough to support myself for a few weeks, however), and don't want to be financial dependent on my parents.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Very Happy Thanking you in advance,

Eccles

PS Confused I hope this post is clear. Please forgive any glaring omissions and rambling. It was written on two hours sleep. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,701 • Replies: 4
No top replies

margo

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 01:03 pm
G'day Eccles, and welcome to A2K!

I don't think we have any Brissie types here - well - not that they're admitting (Adrian works in Brisbane, but is really a Sydneysider!)

Dlowan is our Adelaide expert, but she may nor have seen this!.

My only contribution is that living in either place wold be cheaper than Sydney.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 02:49 pm
Adelaide is prolly cheaper than Brisbane - though accommodation near Flinders is likely to be a bit dull - ie a way from the city centre.

Can't comment on their speech path courses - but there always seem to be more jobs than paths here.

Don't know what Flinders is like now, but it certainly was a friendly, lively uni. Of course, I think ALL unis are dull as ditch water these days - so quiet and staid!

A friend's daughter is there now, and having a great time (at Flinders, I mean). It is co-located with a major teaching hospital, so I imagine that assists professions like speechies a bit.

I cannot comment on Uni Q.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2003 04:15 pm
Hi Eccles.

I can't comment on the Uni's 'cause I don't know either of them. Brisbane has heaps of fairly cheap accommodation $80-$120 a week would be pretty easy to find. Queensland Uni does THIS course in speech pathology. It's done at the St Lucia campus. The Uni has THIS accommodation service. Other than that all I can offer is a personal opinion, I reckon Brisbane would be a better place to be a student than Adelaide. Although I was a student in Sydney so, what would I know?
0 Replies

David Henry

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2004 07:47 am
St Lucia is one of the most expensive suburbs in Australia.
There is no such thing as one bedroom units anywhere near the Uni for less than $160-$180.

Obviously you're better off sharing with a handful of other nutjobs.

This is anecdotal, but I'm told UQ is considered the 3rd best Uni in OZ.
The campus is beautiful...it's on the river.

Basic house in St Lucia is 400k....500sq meters on the river is $1 million{no house}.
0 Replies