CNN's Sanchez canned

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 06:43 pm
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/10/01/cnn.sanchez/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

Atlanta, Georgia (CNN) -- CNN anchor Rick Sanchez abruptly left the network Friday afternoon, just one day after making controversial comments on a satellite radio program.

"Rick Sanchez is no longer with the company," according to a statement from CNN. "We thank Rick for his years of service and we wish him well."

On Thursday, Sanchez appeared on the XM Sirius radio program "Stand-Up with Pete Dominick." During the interview with Dominick, Sanchez called "The Daily Show's" Jon Stewart "a bigot" and then said that he was bigoted against "everybody else who's not like him. Look at his show, I mean, what does he surround himself with

Never mind what you think of his ouster. What do you think of his comments?

engineer

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 07:18 pm
@Merry Andrew,
His comments about Jews were amazingly bigoted. I had no doubt that his career at CNN was over. I can't imagine how someone of even moderate intelligence wouldn't realize that saying all the media including his network is run by Jews would end his career. If he had stuck to attacking Stewart, he'd have been fine.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 07:49 pm
@engineer,
Yeh, I agree. But I think Dominick kind'a set him up for that. Not that that excuses the unfortunate comments.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:11 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I listened to the entire 20 minutes Here. I didn't think he was being set up. He feels the way he feels -- looked down upon. He said what he said about the way he feels. There was no question he was going to be fired for it, but he's still entitled to his feelings.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:48 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I'm thinking Jon Stewart will ask Sanchez to be on the show next week to clear the air and help him sell his book.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:53 pm
@JPB,
I hope so.
JPB

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 08:58 pm
@Rockhead,
Sanchez kept making the point that JS has transcended comedy and has become the most trusted source of news for many Americans. What does that says about news professionals in America? Sanchez didn't buy Dominick's premise that JS is a comedian and comedians earn a living by ridiculing people. He kept saying that JS isn't a comedian. Or, he is no longer just a comedian. Sure he is. The fact that more people get their "hard news" from a comedian should tell us something!
Rockhead

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 09:00 pm
@JPB,
he is my only mainstream news outlet.

oh, and colbert...
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 09:05 pm
@Rockhead,
What about Al Franken?
Rockhead

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 09:14 pm
@Merry Andrew,
senator franken?
dyslexia

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 09:17 pm
@JPB,
Frankly I prefer Colbert.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 09:18 pm
@Rockhead,
...uh...yeah...I guess.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2010 11:18 pm
Here is an articulate and sympathetic (to Sanchez) take on the matter by Philip Weiss:
http://mondoweiss.net/2010/10/sanchezs-first-mistake.html
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 01:03 am
@Merry Andrew,
It was the reason they've been looking for to can him. He was not very good as a news show host. He gets easily distracted by the sound of his own voice and his reflection in the camera lens.

Don Lemon would be a good replacement.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 10:45 am
@Butrflynet,
Don Lemon is the best CNN has and they should stop limiting him the African-American CNN ghetto.

BBB
0 Replies

electronicmail

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 02:15 pm
@engineer,
I disagree, his comments about the Jews were not bigoted imho.

CNN only hired him to counterbalance Lou Dobbs, after he left they didn't have to keep Sanchez. He was a lousy newscaster and his "in depth" rants about anti-hispanic never mentioned the media's violently pro-hispanic bias, like here
http://frontpagemag.com/2010/09/14/hate-crime-hypocrisy/
Quote:
While the FBI’s hate crime reporting sheet includes Hispancs as a victim group, they do not include Hispanics as offenders, and categorize virtually all of them as white.In Los Angeles, where local police count Latinos as perpetrators, Latinos make up 69% of all anti-black hate crimes. Latinos, meanwhile, are counted as white on black hate crimes by the FBI.

Thus, if the MS-13 retaliated against the Crips and yelled a racial slur in the process, this would be reported as a white-on-black hate crime.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 02:31 pm
Sanchez was fired for stating the truth. He was one of the few network anchors to give any attention to the Palestinian side of the story. He was plainly alarmed by the Israeli assault on Gaza in 08-09. He interviewed a Palestinian lawyer called Diana Buttu and Mustafa Barghouti, and showed that Israel broke the cease-fire ahead of the Gaza onslaught. As for his recent comments about Jews not being an oppressed minority and Jews owning the television networks-- it seems to me that these are legitimate subjects for discussion. Maybe his tone was inappropriate, maybe he should have gotten out the kid gloves. But they are legitimate subjects; and the manner of Sanchez's dispatching is only likely to feed uninformed debate about the nature of the American establishment.

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 2 Oct, 2010 03:08 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Never mind what you think of his ouster.

What do you think of his comments?

Tried and true liberal talking points.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 06:49 am

contrex wrote:
Sanchez was fired for stating the truth

Hasn't anyone ever told him, don't bite the hand that feeds you?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 06:53 am
East Side Dave vindicated, **** Sanchez, **** the Llama

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » CNN's Sanchez canned
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 12:23:17