Tue 28 Sep, 2010 08:33 am
ben and jerry's ice cream is dropping "all natural ingredients" from their label because it ain't true. damn, true believers have another bear to cross.

tsarstepan

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 07:17 pm
@dyslexia,
I prefer Haagen Daaz. Ever since Ben and Jerry's has been bought up by the conglomerate Unilever their ice cream has become truly inconsistent quality wise.

Still, the scandal is a true ice cream tragedy! Sad
littlek

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 08:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
I know... but I still buy it. Not that I buy much of it (maybe a pint a year).
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 08:43 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I prefer Haagen Daaz. Ever since Ben and Jerry's has been bought up by the conglomerate Unilever their ice cream has become truly inconsistent quality wise

It is still corporate Ice Cream

Quote:
Häagen-Dazs was bought by Pillsbury in 1983. General Mills bought Pillsbury in 2001.[9][10] However, in the United States and Canada, Häagen-Dazs products are produced by Nestlé subsidiary Dreyer's, which acquired the rights as part of the General Mills-Pillsbury deal.[11][12] The brand name is still owned by General Mills but is licensed to Nestlé in the US and Canada.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A4agen-Dazs

it is made is the same factories as is Dreyer's/Edy's using the same equipment and the same basic ingredients.

and

Quote:
In 2010 it was revealed that Haagen Dazs utilized milk from dairy herds which have been treated with the artificial growth hormone rBGH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A4agen-Dazs
edgarblythe

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 09:24 pm
Bluebell Ice Cream. It's mighty fine.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Mon 4 Oct, 2010 09:40 pm
Just like mini-breweries where you can only buy a limited amount of usually excellent beer brewed right on the premises, the latest trend is for non-brand-name home-made ice cream stores. Ice cream churned out right there on the spot somehow always tastes better than Edy's or Haagen Dazs.

There's a small restaurant right around the corner from where I live -- Aloha Luigi's -- that churns its own ice cream. No more expensive than the commercial stuff in other restaurants but waaay better. For exmple, Luigi uses locally-grown Kona coffee beans in preparing his version of Coffee ice cream. Outta sight! And Luigi himself is an island treasure. A transplanted Noo-Yawker, half Italian, half Jewish, he's also a fine chef. We've become friends.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Tue 5 Oct, 2010 04:02 am
@hawkeye10,
I know Haagen Daaz is a corporate owned business (that wasn't my complaint) but quality wise, it's still far more consistent then Ben and Jerry's.
0 Replies