It May Be Over

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 04:29 am
I injured my back about 15 days ago on the cusp of a big Charity show... took extra oxycodone and Ritalin to get through the show in my usual acrobatic style.... and injured tghe hell out of my back. Torn muscle in left lower quadrant, compressed disc lying agianst the sciatic nerve.... I tried to rest a little and then this past weekend had 2 shows in a row. The doc reluctantly gave me a big steroid and novacain injection, muscle relaxers and pain meds and I ponied through the show.

Now I'm REALLY screwed. I've had to cancel all live shows for the rest of the year.

One of the frustrating things about this, and I'm not trying to sound like a prince or ask for a cookie, this was a charity event to raise money for a fellow musician who just lost his wife to cancer. Not only did we play, but I brought in quite a bit of xtra production for use by the crew. No good deed goes unpunished. Having said that, I'd do it again. This is a well loved great guy who needs help at this time and I'm glad I got a chance to take part.

Since I don't have any insurance thanks to who knows what, I can afford it and want it but no one will insure me.... except at rates that only the truly wealthy can afford... I just have to tough this out and rest.

I knew eventually I'd age out of rocking for a living but I thought I had a couple of years left in me. Very depressing.

Oh well, I can still do acoustic stuff, dj stuff and lighting and sound production..... but my heart is in performing.

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 04:29 am
PS Dys, no comment necessary. I know you don't like me and couldn't care less.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 04:35 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
well that sucks
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 04:47 am
yeah, sorry to hear about this.

better than to get hooked on oxycontin.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 04:50 am
Better give that back all the rest it needs. Even if it doesn't get a lot better, you sure don't want to be rocking from a hoveround.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 05:00 am
on a positive note, steven tyler fell off a stage and got a tv gig, so don't give up hope
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 05:03 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
What djjd said. Both posts.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 05:05 am
Sorry to hear that, BVT. Maybe you could light your hair on fire and do a pepsi commercial?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 08:56 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Have you applied for health insurance coverage the new Obama health plan law provides for those with preexisting conditions? My daughter applied and was accepted last month because she has a preexisting condition. Her premium is less than $400 per month.

BBB
Ceili

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 09:04 am
Never say never, just because you're down for the count doesn't mean you're out of the game.. to over use a cliche or two...
Get the rest you need and I wish you a speedy recovery.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 09:25 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Nah, it's not over. It's just slowing down. It won't be over until you're dead.

Rest, and when you feel better, try yoga. I know it sounds girly but it's the only thing that ever, ever helped my back, which was so bad during pregnancy that I spent the last 4 months not ever feeling my left leg, and which was bad enough after pregnancy lay me up for weeks at a time. And the best thing: old people can do yoga.

Hang in there, Bear. It's not over.
sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 09:34 am
@FreeDuck,
What she said.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 10:03 am
Sorry to hear this, bear. Back injuries suck like no other. Hopefully you'll heal quickly and get back on stage sooner than you think.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 10:15 am
Rest and heal, Bear. I'm sorry you are going through this.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 10:23 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
you know what old guys that can't play any more do.

they produce for young guys and take a chunk of the money for it...

(I knew no good would come from them leopard skin pants)

rest. no kinky sex for a while...
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 10:28 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Nah, it's not over. It's just slowing down. It won't be over until you're dead.

Rest, and when you feel better, try yoga. I know it sounds girly but it's the only thing that ever, ever helped my back, which was so bad during pregnancy that I spent the last 4 months not ever feeling my left leg, and which was bad enough after pregnancy lay me up for weeks at a time. And the best thing: old people can do yoga.

Hang in there, Bear. It's not over.

Yoga ain't girly.

http://images.ourfaves.com/98/401_1.jpg

http://sweettater.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/yoga.jpg

Go on, I dare ya.

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 10:49 am
@chai2,
Exactly.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 11:43 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Injuries when you get older suck. Sad

Let's face it, aging sucks.

Hope you get better soon.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 04:24 pm
I feel for you, Bear.
This is a truly rotten development & I can imagine how devastated you must be feeling right now.
But I think we know you well enough to know that your show (whatever form it may take from here) is definitely not over! You're stronger & much more determined than that.
My very best wishes to you. Hang in there.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2010 05:02 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Have you applied for health insurance coverage the new Obama health plan law provides for those with preexisting conditions? My daughter applied and was accepted last month because she has a preexisting condition. Her premium is less than $400 per month.

BBB

So far this is very limited in terms of who qualifies and for what. It still varies from state to state. In my state you can get insurance for pre-existing, but the premiums are high compared to other insurance policies. If B'fly gets sick and can't work who pays her premiums? What are the rules about cancelled policies due to a sick individuals being unable to to pay their bills? If they can't throw out a person with a pre-existing condition can they cancel the policy when the person misses a payment due to their health problems?
0 Replies