Baking and cookbooks

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 05:57 pm
So today I was crouching down to wipe the dust off of the baseboard in my so called master bathroom and saw a piece of green behind the small cabinet of small books.

Yes, the bathroom, the one not used for showers and so rarely filled with moisture except when the skylight leaks, and it's dry here in New Mexico... that's where I keep the bird books (small) and the small old poetry books, and, as it happened, a quickbread and muffin book had fallen behind the small shelves.

I was glad to see it, as I'd been looking for it recently and couldn't believe I'd tossed the book or given it away. So, voila!!

Delicious Quick Breads and Muffins, by Dimetra Makris. Right away I found three recipes I'll do, and already have most of the ingredients -
Curry Cheese Biscuits
Carrot Pineapple Raisin Bread (extremely oddly, I have all these)
Zucchini Bread (well, yawn, but good to see it mentioned)
Sweet Potato Bread, that could interest me, and I even have a sweet potato.

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/qwork/1551479/used/Delicious%20Quick%20Breads%20and%20Muffins

I like dessert books and baking books, not to mention blogs about all this, but there is something piquant about an old favorite book.

What are your treasured baking sources or regarded sources - file cards from family, newspaper clippings, books, or online websites, and dare I mention blogs (I ask as a blog fiend) ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,525 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 06:32 pm
@ossobuco,
The Curry Cheese Biscuits sound really interesting. You'll have to give us a review after you bake them!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 10:04 pm
@Irishk,
Recipe - easy like most in the book -

about 12 biscuits

3/4 cup all purpose flour sifted (I never do that, or at least not lately, osso)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a baking sheet.

Sift together into a bowl the flour, baking powder, and curry powder. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or two knives until mixture resembles corn meal. Add the grated cheese.

In another bowl mix together the egg yolk, milk, salt.
Pour into the flour mixture and blend thoroughly with a fork to make a soft dough. Turn out on a floured board and knead briefly. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter.

Arrange on a butter baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for twelve minutes.

Osso - 1/4 inch?? I'll try it at 1/2 inch, if not more.

0 Replies