Will land phones become an antique while cell phones take over communication?

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:59 am
I remember land lines. Had one when I lived in Boston. But that was just force of habit: I'd always had one, if you know what I mean. Kept it operational even after I got a Verizon mobile phone. Since moving to Hawaii, I've not had a land line installed. Still use my cell daily (still have a 617 area code here in the land of 808!!!). Don't miss my old non-portable clunker at all. Run my 'puter off a jack in the wall? You gotta be kidding. I have Wi Fi here.

In short, yes, I think those old lines are at least archaic, if not totally obsolete.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 11:49 am
I think that most business users will stick to landlines, but that homes will not. The rates have sure come down for home use, for instance Comcast is offering to bundle phone into my cable/internet for just $20 a month where at the end I was paying $40 for monthly phone from the phone company, but even at those low rates I have no interest.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 01:49 am
Hold onto the land line phones. They could be valuable in about 25 years.
Hold onto your old typewriters, too.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 03:49 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

I only fall down and go boom to see if Butrflynet is paying attention.

BBB Wink

Whenever I fall down, I always try to remember to pick something up.

You might want to keep that in mind.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 05:11 am
@ehBeth,
I am gonna be where only sat phones work...except when you can get to somewhere with a landline.

I hate mobiles for anything except quick calls anyway
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2010 05:15 am
I have both a cell phone and a land line. Very few people have my cell phone number, and I never use all my minutes. In fact, I have a boatload of rollover minutes, some of which become defunct after a year.

Recently, there was a question of changing my internet provider, who supplies TV, internet and phone. One thought was that we would drop the phone, and that Mr. P. would get a 2nd cellphone.

Although it would be much cheaper to go with the two cell phones, and no landline, we opted to keep the landline. We have lived in Florida for 16 years. I started to think about how many people, besides friends, have my land line number. I realized that it would just be too complicated to start switching things around.
0 Replies