That computer chair you're sitting in right now ....

hingehead

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:02 pm
My work chair is pretty sucky. I hate that the wheels don't work and the lower back support is crud, but it doesn't help that the photons from the 3 screens push my head back until I'm almost lying down by the end of the day.

I need to pump up my swiss ball.

At home I have very nice ergo chair but I feel guilty pushing the cat off it. Mrs Hinge has a three legged stool perched at the end of a kitchen bench. By choice.

This conversation reminds of the 'no breaks' computer geek poster of yesteryear:
http://www.moonbattery.com/toilet-computer.jpg
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ha. I tried to respond to this earlier, tsar. But "flood prevention" got the better of me & I had to wait till now! Smile

This is the most spectacular looking computer chair I've ever seen! (What else does it do?) Smile

http://i53.tinypic.com/mmsjut.jpg

However, I'm sorry, I'll have to discount it as a possibility, as it's almost as big as the room I'd have to place it in!

A smaller version, child's version, perhaps? Razz
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:25 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
My impression from reading all the comments, olga, is essentially ergonomic shmergonomic

Idea It's certainly beginning to sound that way, Roberta! Surprised

What's a girl supposed to do went you can't believe the fancy advertising?

Could I hear from at least one happy & satisfied user of an ergonomic chair, please?

- Confuse of Melbourne.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:27 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:

I'm trying to sit straight now based on E.G.'s advice via his physical therapist (he -- E.G. -- messed up his back pretty bad, not via chair-sitting though). Evidently that slinking your head down your neck thing causes a bunch of problems. So I'm trying to avoid that.

Me too, soz.
And I think I'm going to develop a whole bunch for problems, too, if I don't do something about it pretty soon!
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:30 pm
@msolga,
There goes the phaser and photon torpedo controls. Rolling Eyes

Have you considered a giant rubber ball for a chair? My favorite tech guru, Leo Laporte sits on one while he podcasts for hours on end.

Quote:
The control room contains two desks, mixing boards, a multi-camera setup, monitors, chairs in the corner for occasional guests and a giant rubber ball Laporte sits (and bounces) on while shooting hours of live Internet video daily.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/08/leo-laporte.html
Isokinetics Balance Ball Chair - with Choice of 52cm Ball and a Pump
https://www.isokineticsinc.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/BallChairVarietyGray500.jpg
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:33 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
This conversation reminds of the 'no breaks' computer geek poster of yesteryear:

Ha! At least you wouldn't have any wanted interruptions while posting away, hinge! Razz

Quote:
My work chair is pretty sucky

Interesting that just about everyone has said this. I wonder if it's because some of you are at computers for such long periods at work?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
I used to use my swiss ball a lot. Great for your lower back and core strength. Can get a bit tough on your bony ass though. Those isok chairs look like the equivalent of training wheels on a swiss ball. Real man can do squats on a swiss ball (oh, ok, I can, nothing manly about it.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:36 pm
@msolga,
You don't seem to be listening to me, Olga - not that you have to agree, but get what I said. Far as I can tell, this has not at all to do with sitting straight all the time, but moving and being flexible, and I'll posture, probably with ending up sitting straight after moving.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
See, to me, msolga, it is all about movement of the spine. I'm not sure at all that the chair matters as long as it doesn't hurt your bum. Some of us are bony - not me, but friends.

With me, it's getting spine, my feet positioned properly & also posture, osso.
All at once.
Thins is starting to seem like a pretty tall order! Confused

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 07:47 pm
@msolga,
I suppose I will have to find links to support my seat, oh, my position.

You seem to think your sitting has to be rigid, whereas I take that as, er, dumb.

I can see rigid as a fulcrum point, but... don't you want a flexible spine, with wee muscles working?

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 08:06 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
You seem to think your sitting has to be rigid

No, no, not at all, osso.

Just considerably more back support & better posture than I'm experiencing now.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 08:11 pm
@msolga,
That's why sitting on those giant rubber balls are perfect. If forces you to sit with the best posture in mind or you'll end up falling off the chair if you start slouching.
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 08:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:

Have you considered a giant rubber ball for a chair? My favorite tech guru, Leo Laporte sits on one while he podcasts for hours on end.

https://www.isokineticsinc.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/BallChairVarietyGray500.jpg

No, I haven't, tsar. My goodness, what will they think of next?! Surprised Smile

I'll bet you they cost an arm & a leg, too! (forget it then)

(I'm a little worried I could fall off one of these. Which would only add to my computer related problems! Wink )
ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 08:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
but it also makes you move to maintain..........
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 08:17 pm
@msolga,
I could make you a seat belt...
ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 08:20 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
You seem to think your sitting has to be rigid

No, no, not at all, osso.

Just considerably more back support & better posture than I'm experiencing now.

I think it's quite a bad idea to think that the support and posture should come from the chair.

I think it's better to have a basic, solid chair and to have better core muscles which support your back and posture. I'd recommend a cheap yoga course before any kind of ergonomic chair.

I think that ergonomic chairs are a marketing scam much along the line of orthotics (for most people).
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 08:38 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:

I think it's quite a bad idea to think that the support and posture should come from the chair

You wouldn't think that if you saw my current chair, Beth. Smile
It really is seriously clapped out.

Quote:
I think it's better to have a basic, solid chair and to have better core muscles which support your back and posture. I'd recommend a cheap yoga course before any kind of ergonomic chair.

Maybe, maybe ...
So much to consider!
I doubt I'll be investing in any sort of expensive ergonomic chair. Not after what's been said here. anyway
I think I'll be going for comfort & much better support than I currently "enjoy". Which is not much at all.
This is going to involve hours & hours of "testing time", I can see! Smile

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 08:40 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
I could make you a seat belt...

Ha ha, Rocky! Very Happy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 06:43 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

It wasn't that it was a no no, I misspoke, but that one should move from keeping perfect posture at all times..

A-ha, that makes sense, and I think it's familiar too, yes. So the point is not that good posture is bad, but that you shouldn't shoot for holding any given position for lengths of time -- movement is good.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 02:42 pm
Hello Vaynard welcome to A2K. Are you a person paid by this website to promote it or merely a bot scouring boards for keywords? If it's the latter is the signing up procedure for A2K built in and automated or do you ask your human to do it for you? Did you pick your profile pic yourself? That would mean using gravatar - you must be a very sophisticated bot....

I am sincerely curious how this works.

Cheers.
0 Replies