That computer chair you're sitting in right now ....

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 05:01 am
@Dutchy,
It's revolting, Dutchy. (Says she weakly.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 05:03 am
@djjd62,
This is no laughing matter, dj!
Agh.

(Nice chairs, tho!)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 05:08 am
I think I'd better go & have a bit of a lie down now.
Tomorrow.
Roberta

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 05:49 am
@msolga,
Recover quickly, kid.
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 05:39 pm
@Roberta,
Thank you. I think I sort of have ... but no way I'm going to eat anything for quite some time, to check for sure! Smile

Now to have a proper read through what you good folk have posted here ....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 05:45 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I sit in a fancy dancy ergonomic chair at work. It's awful.

That's interesting, Beth. And destroys my preconception that "ergonomic is always good". I thought as much as I tried a very wide variety of computer chairs the other night. Around 20, I think. Took me ages. How come some of those specially designed (& very expensive!) chairs felt so uncomfortable? Confused

I do like your Flintstones chair! Smile
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 05:48 pm
@Roberta,
Love that photograph, Roberta. Smile

And, along with Beth, you've (sort of) convinced me that a specially designed computer chair might not necessary be the only choice! Keep looking & sitting on em, I guess ... this could be a long process!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 05:51 pm
@Roberta,
Quote:
.. I still don't sit with my feet on the floor.

Ah the feet! Yes!
It's getting my back AND my feet both comfortable at the same time, so my posture's right ... that's the challenge! As a result of being a shortish person, no doubt ..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 05:54 pm
@msolga,
I sit in a reasonably priced Staples office supply chair that is made comfortable - after being discovered as uncomfortable - by two pillows, one for the seat (one of those cheapo pillows for patio chairs) and a slim pillow for the back. That one keeps slipping to the floor.

I hunch, I lunch, I get up and sit down, but mostly I've learned to move my torso, which is what those balls and ergonometric things are about.
Music is good for this, but simple tweak movements sans sound are good too.

Soz, I've read that straight up posture is a no no, as in don't aim to hold that continuously - and probably posted about that here. Alas, no link.

Of course, slinking your head down your neck for hours isn't smart - an old habit of many of us - but moving the spine seems to be smart, including a kind of slump as part of the movement.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 05:55 pm
http://i53.tinypic.com/mmsjut.jpg
Seize control of your life's starship!

The Captain's chair from Star Trek: the Next Generation!
Roberta

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:00 pm
My impression from reading all the comments, olga, is essentially ergonomic shmergonomic.

I'm sitting in a chair that was built before the word ergonomic was, I don't know, even a word. It's about 65 years old. I've never had any discomfort. I'm at the computer for hours. No back ache. No neck ache. No ache ache.

Something to consider.
sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:13 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Soz, I've read that straight up posture is a no no, as in don't aim to hold that continuously - and probably posted about that here. Alas, no link.

Oh, that's interesting. If you think of the source, I'd love to see it.

I'm trying to sit straight now based on E.G.'s advice via his physical therapist (he -- E.G. -- messed up his back pretty bad, not via chair-sitting though). Evidently that slinking your head down your neck thing causes a bunch of problems. So I'm trying to avoid that.

I tend to not sit for hours even though I'm at the computer a lot. I'm in and out, off doing laundry or watering the lawn (6 weeks since we last had rain!) or grabbing something to eat or.... So I haven't had any particular back problems (yet!) and don't seem to have anything incipient, just want to protect against it if possible.
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I like it's arm rests and it's adjustability. And it kind of has a springiness when one quickly sits down in it.

I don't like it's lack of adjustable lumbar support or it's lack of headrest.

I would also like some more cushionary arm rests especially for my elbows.

Arm rests. My current (& previous) chair doesn't have any. How important to others think they are?

I don't think I need a head rest, but definitely more back support! So's I sit, right! Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:26 pm
@sozobe,
It's somewhere here on a2k - we've talked about a lot of this before. Maybe the thread where Roger was talking about his sort of, uh, stool thingy with no back to it, which effectively does the same thing, makes you move. I'm apt to have given a link there. Well, this was before his bicycle mishap, and that could help date it.

It wasn't that it was a no no, I misspoke, but that one should move from keeping perfect posture at all times..

Not that I know the link was right... but my gut instinct is for it. (whatta scientist). Most likely, NYT, most likely, umm, two to four years ago.
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:26 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
I had similar problems and bought the fanciest, shmanciest, rolls forward with me as I roll forward, adjusts in 20+ different places, most comfortable chair that money and insurance can buy.

Yes, the fanciest, shmanciest one I tried the other night was most comfortable, JPB. My back & feet felt happy & comfortably positioned. AND it was gorgeous to look at, too! Smile But $400? I'll have to ponder that for a bit ...

Quote:
The moral of the story is that your back is trying to tell you something.

Yes, I know. You're right.
But my current chair is seriously clapped out, too! And needs to be replaced.

Quote:
You should spend less time at the computer.

Yes, indeed. I know.
But this will be quite a challenge, though! Wink
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:28 pm
@sozobe,
Quote:
I try to pay attention to posture (sitting up straight) and also get up a lot and stretch and stuff.

Yes indeed, soz. Good advice.
Both of which I tend to forget all about. Neutral
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:31 pm
@Dutchy,
Quote:
msolga go to an "Office Works" branch in Melbourne.

Either today or tomorrow I'll be spending hours of chair testing at OfficeWorks, Dutchy.

Quote:
I bought a comfortable one some years ago for $70.00 and it has served me well.

That's good!
I'm hoping to spend less than $400!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:35 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
Some good things about my chair: it is a place to sit, I can adjust the height/back, it rolls (instead of scraping the floor), and it was free.

But it's annoyingly uncomfortable, k? Despite being able to adjust the height & the back?

The "free" part was good! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I sit in a reasonably priced Staples office supply chair that is made comfortable - after being discovered as uncomfortable - by two pillows, one for the seat (one of those cheapo pillows for patio chairs) and a slim pillow for the back.

Ah that partly my concern, osso. That it might feel really comfortable in the shop, but might turn out to be not-so-comfortable after an extended sitting. Especially if it's a bit pricey!

Thing is, you can't know for sure from a 'sample test" in the shop, can you? Confused
ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2010 06:47 pm
@msolga,
See, to me, msolga, it is all about movement of the spine. I'm not sure at all that the chair matters as long as it doesn't hurt your bum. Some of us are bony - not me, but friends. A wood straight seat can hurt bones, or a slightly padded seat.
Though I've been slightly bony. I once sat on my purse at a lecture (Native Plant Society, you'll approve) to get away from the hard chair. Broke my ink pen in doing that.

I'm the same with my feet. If I don't have cushioning in running shoes, I batter my metatarsals so I can't walk, which has to do with high arches. We are all different.