littlek

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 09:34 pm
I read somewhere that it's good to feed your cat raw meat. The idea is that the level of Taurine is much higher before cooking and that it's a mineral that cats need to survive. Also, the concept revolves around the fact that cats can eat flesh that's too tainted for human consumption and come out just fine.

What do you all think? Is the quality of meat from the meat industry the same (or better than) the quality of meat in a freshly killed shrew/mole/mouse/bird?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 6,394 • Replies: 64
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 09:44 pm
There seem to be hundreds of WWW sites on this issue. This is one: http://www.petprospects.com/Care/General/003/02.htm .

The digestive tract issue is a hot one. Humans are fully capable of digesting a lot of tainted meat as long as they are HEALTHY humans. I'd guess the same is true for any other species too. Taking the chance probably isn't a good idea in either case. lol
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 09:47 pm
Oh, on the last question there. No. Meats you'd buy in the supermarket are processed and, like like veggies, loose nutritional value as they sit. Provided the mice/birds a cat may kill aren't infected (a big question mark there!) the meat from those should be more nutritious for the cat. I don't know that it would be enough to make much real difference though.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 09:49 pm
Mmmm, that article pretty much sums up the way I feel about it. I did feed the cat a wee portion of raw beef, but then cooked the rest and added the canned food (dry kibble on the side, please).... where's the threasd on spoiled cats....

And the idea of him getting sick and not being able to eat when I need him too is pretty scary.

Thanks fishin.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 09:49 pm
so.....I should hunt fresh kill for screech...? Hahaha! How funny. What's a psuedo-vegetarian to do?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 09:52 pm
If you do a Google search on "Nutrition Benefits Raw Meats Cats" you'll get a few hundred hits on this. There are quite a few that are very positive on the idea.

I throw mine scraps all the time when I'm cooking. If I don't she'll claw at my legs until I give in. She's way spoiled. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 09:54 pm
<grin>
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 10:18 pm
I give mine a little bite of ground beef before cooking and a few morsels after it's done. Otherwise, they subsist on IAMS kibble almost entirely. I don't know what's best for them, but this is what I do.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 10:24 pm
Sounds good, both of you. From what I understand about raw meat, it's the quantity of bad meat that makes you sick more than the type of bacteria. Little nibbles here and there - I'll keep that up.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 05:23 pm
Mine get it when they're clawing at me, but, I have tended not to give them much since the growling becomes more and more intense at each bite...quite scary on occassions.
Like anything else, I think as long as its in small quantities and is something well enough to eat myself...should be okay for them..besides..I have little say in the matter mostly.
Smile
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 05:33 pm
If you want to see growling, toss one piece of raw liver in front of two cats.

Just kidding, Quinn. It can get ugly, and I'm not joking.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 05:41 pm
thanks for the warning.....it goes a long way
thankfully I dont do liver
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 06:36 pm
Screech doesn't really growl about the food. He hunches over it and runs away with it, but he doesn't generally growl. Unless my hearing is worse than I thought... could be, hmm.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 07:00 pm
Zoey growls..its a deep in the throat hard to hear at first thing...try going near her or taking it away...or god forbid..Cleo eating some too...
then, its all apparent

and scary
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 07:29 pm
yeah, my mother's calico used to be vicious like that.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 07:49 pm
thats the only time shes like that so, I guess thats a good thing
Its a bad side of her personality though that I would rather not know...then again, shes a cat...maybe cats have that animal instinct or something
~:-P
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 07:51 pm
ferral beasties....
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 07:54 pm
yeah

lions and tigers and bears

or something like that
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 07:54 pm
I would much rather a hiss than a growl. Some hisses are more or less conversational, but I heed the growl everytime.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 5 Dec, 2002 08:00 pm
I have to agree...the hiss can be interpreted and understood for the most part
Although the growl can be interpreted and understood, its quite a bit different
the growl is just

well...unnerving whence it comes about from your loved one
0 Replies