Arbitrary Reality?

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:09 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:

It is speculation, speculation is a serious argument it doesn't hold up to any real scrutiny. I cannot prove anything. My first post states as much. It is, however, something to seriously think about. So I would say that it is not wasted speculation, at least for me, because I enjoy thinking about such things. I would also say it is not wasted speculation because it has the potential to ring significant, which is all one can expect in cases such as these where any real truth is impossible to fathom.

Then why are you even speaking? I can speculate all day on what the world might be; but this does not change what the world is. In fact, I can spout all day on what the world might be and assert what it is from this based on zero proof. I can say that the "World is organic" and that it's entity is constantly moving (a dynamical process. Much like Hegel). But I need to prove this. In fact, the proof actually falls on me, based upon my assertion of the conclusion.

Dialogue: Say I am sitting with my friend and he tells me that "God exists." I would find this rather queer and ask him, "on what grounds?" and he simply tells me, "I just feel it." - Well that is not very good proof at all on anything huh?

But let us, if you are willing, make this thread worthwhile and take your metaphor seriously. If you want we can do this good old fashion Plato style (dialogue that is.). Perhaps we can salvage something from this. In fact, I am sure that by the end of this we can come to a better understanding of the world. Or maybe not.

Do you wish to engage?

I am writing because-
1) I can.
2) I feel like it.
3) It is interesting to some here.
4) The topic is not one in which anything can be proven or disproven. An argument on this topic can be nothing more than speculation.
5) burden of proof falls on no-one in this situation as I have asserted nothing.
6) The speculation was meant to spark a more in depth conversation, so feel free to take it as seriously as you feel.
7) The process of philosophy is exploratory and begins with speculation. Without abstracted curiosity, observation and speculation there is only synthesis of the mundane.
8) The forum is for the presentation and discussion of ideas. This is an idea.
9) I feel like it.
10) I can.
Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 06:05 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

Ding an Sich wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:

It is speculation, speculation is a serious argument it doesn't hold up to any real scrutiny. I cannot prove anything. My first post states as much. It is, however, something to seriously think about. So I would say that it is not wasted speculation, at least for me, because I enjoy thinking about such things. I would also say it is not wasted speculation because it has the potential to ring significant, which is all one can expect in cases such as these where any real truth is impossible to fathom.

Then why are you even speaking? I can speculate all day on what the world might be; but this does not change what the world is. In fact, I can spout all day on what the world might be and assert what it is from this based on zero proof. I can say that the "World is organic" and that it's entity is constantly moving (a dynamical process. Much like Hegel). But I need to prove this. In fact, the proof actually falls on me, based upon my assertion of the conclusion.

Dialogue: Say I am sitting with my friend and he tells me that "God exists." I would find this rather queer and ask him, "on what grounds?" and he simply tells me, "I just feel it." - Well that is not very good proof at all on anything huh?

But let us, if you are willing, make this thread worthwhile and take your metaphor seriously. If you want we can do this good old fashion Plato style (dialogue that is.). Perhaps we can salvage something from this. In fact, I am sure that by the end of this we can come to a better understanding of the world. Or maybe not.

Do you wish to engage?

I am writing because-
1) I can.
2) I feel like it.
3) It is interesting to some here.
4) The topic is not one in which anything can be proven or disproven. An argument on this topic can be nothing more than speculation.
5) burden of proof falls on no-one in this situation as I have asserted nothing.
6) The speculation was meant to spark a more in depth conversation, so feel free to take it as seriously as you feel.
7) The process of philosophy is exploratory and begins with speculation. Without abstracted curiosity, observation and speculation there is only synthesis of the mundane.
8) The forum is for the presentation and discussion of ideas. This is an idea.
9) I feel like it.
10) I can.

Well I did want to have an in depth conversation with you in the form of dialogue; but I suppose that is not worthwhile to you as it deals with proof and not "feelling-like-it". It would require input on your part good sir.

If this forum is about the "presentation and discussion of ideas" then there is indeed a lot we are missing out on, especially if it involves "feeling-like-it" attitudes. Philosophy is not simply to present and discuss ideas; in which case the forum then becomes simply lackluster (if we are still considering this a philosophy forum and not simply a "show and tell day" forum).

Is there anything wrong with the "mundane"? Last time I checked, even philosophers gathered their basis of knowledge from the sensible (experience) and not from some supra-sensisble intuitive oneness with the Absolute (to go with Hegel and his crew on this).

What in the world is "abstracted curiosity"? "A curiosity that I have abstracted? From where? The world? What kind of world" -The sensible world.

To quote a famous philosopher (again), "All our knowledge begins with experience." -Immanuel Kant
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 10:50 am
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:

Well I did want to have an in depth conversation with you in the form of dialogue; but I suppose that is not worthwhile to you as it deals with proof and not "feelling-like-it". It would require input on your part good sir.

If this forum is about the "presentation and discussion of ideas" then there is indeed a lot we are missing out on, especially if it involves "feeling-like-it" attitudes. Philosophy is not simply to present and discuss ideas; in which case the forum then becomes simply lackluster (if we are still considering this a philosophy forum and not simply a "show and tell day" forum).

Is there anything wrong with the "mundane"? Last time I checked, even philosophers gathered their basis of knowledge from the sensible (experience) and not from some supra-sensisble intuitive oneness with the Absolute (to go with Hegel and his crew on this).

What in the world is "abstracted curiosity"? "A curiosity that I have abstracted? From where? The world? What kind of world" -The sensible world.

To quote a famous philosopher (again), "All our knowledge begins with experience." -Immanuel Kant

You asked why it was worth while for me to post, because I feel like it is one of the reasons. In fact it is one of the reasons anyone posts. Probably the primary reason anyone posts. Because I feel like it is worth discussing especially if the mundane is worth discussing. The presentation and exchange of ideas cannot happen without "because I feel like it". To quote a famous philosopher (again), "All our knowledge begins with experience." -Immanuel Kant. So obviously "because I feel like it" is not lackluster.

People can and do easily discuss ideas without proof, it happens all the time. It is at the core of ethics and metaphysics. Also pray tell me how anyone could prove or disprove an idea like we exist so meaning exists. Or pray tell me how anyone can say anything concretely universal about the universe other than it exists. Much like Hegel and his crew says (paraphrase) The only thing one can say for certain is that something is, once an attribute is ascribed we are in the realm of interpretation. Also I do not see the harm in talking about an intuitive sense of being. Bergson noted that the only truely accurate way to study the metaphysical is with pure intuition. By extention things that are impossible to prove or disprove must be intuited as they cannot be sensed otherwise.

One can also take this down the road of discussion of metaphor in text, or metaphor in cognition. One can take this down the road of hermeneutic interpretation. How one interpretation of ametaphor seems to naturally lead to one conclusion and another interpretation of a metaphor to another conclusion even though the same phenomena are witnessed.

We can bring post-modernist views - how to deconstruct the machine metaphor, anthropological views - was the change from pastoral to industrial a reason for a change in metaphor and thus catalyst for the existentialist school of thought, linguistic views - Why would metaphor change the outcome of interpretation in x society, and socio-political views - has the scientocracy changed our ability to express credible metaphor outside of the accepted standard etc... So I am at a loss as to why this would not be a series of posts in which to start a good discussion?

Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 04:06 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

You asked why it was worth while for me to post, because I feel like it is one of the reasons. In fact it is one of the reasons anyone posts. Probably the primary reason anyone posts. Because I feel like it is worth discussing especially if the mundane is worth discussing. The presentation and exchange of ideas cannot happen without "because I feel like it". To quote a famous philosopher (again), "All our knowledge begins with experience." -Immanuel Kant. So obviously "because I feel like it" is not lackluster.

How is it obvious that "because I feel like it" is not lackluster? I was not even talking about such a "feeling-like-it" being lackluster; I was talking about the presentation and discussion of ideas. That to me is lackluster. It is nothing short of show and tell day in the first grade. It merely acquaints us with something, but it does not help us think about something (critically mind you.).

GoshisDead wrote:

People can and do easily discuss ideas without proof, it happens all the time. It is at the core of ethics and metaphysics. Also pray tell me how anyone could prove or disprove an idea like we exist so meaning exists. Or pray tell me how anyone can say anything concretely universal about the universe other than it exists. Much like Hegel and his crew says (paraphrase) The only thing one can say for certain is that something is, once an attribute is ascribed we are in the realm of interpretation. Also I do not see the harm in talking about an intuitive sense of being. Bergson noted that the only truely accurate way to study the metaphysical is with pure intuition. By extention things that are impossible to prove or disprove must be intuited as they cannot be sensed otherwise.

This begs the question. What things are impossible to prove or disprove? And if so, why do we need a supra-sensible intuition to do so when we have all the tools we could ever need (Logic)? Also what is pure intuition? Are we taking this from Kant to mean the mode into which all our sensuous intuition goes (such as space and time). What does Bergson have to say about "pure intuition"?

Once an attribute is given to an object, we have given this object a predicate. How is this in the realm of interpretation? Also were does Hegel say this? Or is there perhaps another philosopher who you are talking about?

Perhaps if there is something that we cannot speak of, we should not say anything at all of it, lest we end up speaking non-sensically.

GoshisDead wrote:

One can also take this down the road of discussion of metaphor in text, or metaphor in cognition. One can take this down the road of hermeneutic interpretation. How one interpretation of ametaphor seems to naturally lead to one conclusion and another interpretation of a metaphor to another conclusion even though the same phenomena are witnessed.

Is there a reason why we need metaphors for everything? We say that "the universe is like x", but we are not actually saying what it is. This is non-sensical. Why speak in metaphors when we can say what something "is"? Logic does exactly this. Although I do admit we could make a Language Game with rules that allowed us only to speak in metaphors. If you wish to dance we shall!

GoshisDead wrote:

We can bring post-modernist views - how to deconstruct the machine metaphor, anthropological views - was the change from pastoral to industrial a reason for a change in metaphor and thus catalyst for the existentialist school of thought, linguistic views - Why would metaphor change the outcome of interpretation in x society, and socio-political views - has the scientocracy changed our ability to express credible metaphor outside of the accepted standard etc... So I am at a loss as to why this would not be a series of posts in which to start a good discussion?

You could start "good discussions" on these; but perhaps somewhere else. Maybe in Interpreting Literature. Or maybe Political Science. English? Linguistics (of the meta-language kind)? Im sure there are fields of study in which your views would find an outlet, and possibly lead to fruitful discussions.

Language does not only consist of the meta-language, but of the form of the language. The form of the language is the logic, the Calculus of the Language. The two do inter-mingle in a meta-language, but it would be wise not to confuse them.

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 04:46 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:

How is it obvious that "because I feel like it" is not lackluster? I was not even talking about such a "feeling-like-it" being lackluster; I was talking about the presentation and discussion of ideas. That to me is lackluster. It is nothing short of show and tell day in the first grade. It merely acquaints us with something, but it does not help us think about something (critically mind you.).

Your inability to think critically about an idea that wasn't spoon fed to you would be your problem if you hadn't noted the following. "You could start "good discussions" on these; but perhaps somewhere else. Maybe in Interpreting Literature. Or maybe Political Science. English? Linguistics (of the meta-language kind)? Im sure there are fields of study in which your views would find an outlet, and possibly lead to fruitful discussions."

Ding an Sich wrote:

This begs the question. What things are impossible to prove or disprove? And if so, why do we need a supra-sensible intuition to do so when we have all the tools we could ever need (Logic)? Also what is pure intuition? Are we taking this from Kant to mean the mode into which all our sensuous intuition goes (such as space and time). What does Bergson have to say about "pure intuition"?

Once an attribute is given to an object, we have given this object a predicate. How is this in the realm of interpretation? Also were does Hegel say this? Or is there perhaps another philosopher who you are talking about?

Since I can't find a digital copy of the first chapter of Phenomenology I'll paste a stanford link synopsis.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/hegel/#PheSpi
Something of Hegel's phenomenological method may be conveyed by the first few chapters, which are perhaps among the more conventionally philosophical parts (Westphal 2009). Chapters 1 to 3 effectively follow a developmental series of distinct “shapes of consciousness”—jointly epistemological and ontological attitudes articulated by criteria which are, regarded from one direction, criteria for certain knowledge, and from the other, criteria for independent objecthood. In chapter 1, the attitude of “sense-certainty” takes immediately given singular perceptual contents—the sort of role played by “sense data” in some early twentieth-century approaches to epistemology, for example—as the fundamental objects known. By following this form of consciousness's attempts to make these implicit criteria explicit, we are meant to appreciate that any such contents, even the apparently most “immediate” ones, in fact contain implicit conceptually articulated presuppositions, and so, in Hegel's terminology, are “mediated.” One might compare Hegel's point here to that expressed by Kant in his well known claim that without concepts, those singular and immediate mental representations he calls “intuitions” are “blind.” In more recent terminology one might talk of the “concept-” or “theory-ladenness” of all experience, and the lessons of this chapter have been likened to that of Wilfrid Sellars's famous criticism of the “myth of the given” (Sellars 1997).
Perhaps if there is something that we cannot speak of, we should not say anything at all of it, lest we end up speaking non-sensically.

Ding an Sich wrote:

Is there a reason why we need metaphors for everything? We say that "the universe is like x", but we are not actually saying what it is. This is non-sensical. Why speak in metaphors when we can say what something "is"? Logic does exactly this. Although I do admit we could make a Language Game with rules that allowed us only to speak in metaphors. If you wish to dance we shall!

To quote a famous philosopher (again), "All our knowledge begins with experience." -Immanuel Kant. If our knowledge comes from experience and neither of us have experienced "the universe" we have no knowledge of it. That of which we have no knowledge must be rendered into a form comparative to that of which we do have knowledge, which by default becomes a metaphor. You can say X part of the universe, which has been experienced, is, but you cannot say the universe is.

Ding an Sich wrote:

You could start "good discussions" on these; but perhaps somewhere else. Maybe in Interpreting Literature. Or maybe Political Science. English? Linguistics (of the meta-language kind)? Im sure there are fields of study in which your views would find an outlet, and possibly lead to fruitful discussions.

Language does not only consist of the meta-language, but of the form of the language. The form of the language is the logic, the Calculus of the Language. The two do inter-mingle in a meta-language, but it would be wise not to confuse them.

Last I checked Philosophy has many sub-disciplines that include, postmodernism, language, history, culture, and society. However if the secret cabal of master philosophers have clued you in on a change. Then okay cool. Also since there are no specific philosophy subforums as of yet, the general area will have to do. the

The philsophy of language does consist partly of meta-language. It discusses metaphor and all that jazz. One can do predicate calculus and discuss meta-language one without the other is useless. A calculus breakdown is not applicable to anything without a discussion of usage, semantics, prosidy, pragmatics etc... Language consists of much more than its calculus. Its calculus is an arbitrary analysis of its usage per incident. If a language consisted only of its calculus computer programmers would have been able to create a language algorythm.

It may be beneficial not to conflate formal logic and philosophy or for that matter the syntactic form of language with language the former is simply an analytic method used in the latter, they are not the same.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 07:11 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

To quote a famous philosopher (again), "All our knowledge begins with experience." -Immanuel Kant.

[/quote]

I am afraid you gave only half the quote from Kant. The entire quote goes, "Although all our knowledge begins with experience, it does not follow that it arises from experience" According to Kant, the human mind also contributes to human knowledge, so that even if we do not experience the universe (at least, not as such) still, we may still have knowledge of the universe.
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 07:24 pm
@kennethamy,
Yes Ken I understand, It was part of the barb intended to use the same decontextualized quote used on me. It helps demonstrate the pointlessness of using a decontextualized quote as evidence for an argument that I could use the quote unfinished and out of context to prove most anything. It shows the sophistry of certain people who tout logic as the end all and be all of philosophical debate.

Not that quotes aren't inspiration or valuable, but quote slinging is trend going around this forum. To use these decontextualized quotes as some sort of evidence for arguments and/or the belittlement of another forum member is nothing more than a rhetorical ploy. An appeal to authority (or notoriety in some of the cases of quotes flung around the forum) cannot be done with a decontextualized quote no matter how well respected the person being quoted.
Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 07:27 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

Your inability to think critically about an idea that wasn't spoon fed to you would be your problem if you hadn't noted the following. "You could start "good discussions" on these; but perhaps somewhere else. Maybe in Interpreting Literature. Or maybe Political Science. English? Linguistics (of the meta-language kind)? Im sure there are fields of study in which your views would find an outlet, and possibly lead to fruitful discussions."

I appreciate the inherent criticism from you. What would make you think in the first place that I would want something that is spoon fed to me? Philosophy should never be this simple; in fact it is atrocious to think that it is such. I do admit that at the beginning of my philosophical pursuit I was rather enticed by Kant ("seduced" might be a better term.); so we could come to an agreement that I was under the tutelage (spoon-fed?) of a great thinker. Ah but that has changed....

GoshisDead wrote:

Since I can't find a digital copy of the first chapter of Phenomenology I'll paste a stanford link synopsis.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/hegel/#PheSpi
Something of Hegel's phenomenological method may be conveyed by the first few chapters, which are perhaps among the more conventionally philosophical parts (Westphal 2009). Chapters 1 to 3 effectively follow a developmental series of distinct “shapes of consciousness”—jointly epistemological and ontological attitudes articulated by criteria which are, regarded from one direction, criteria for certain knowledge, and from the other, criteria for independent objecthood. In chapter 1, the attitude of “sense-certainty” takes immediately given singular perceptual contents—the sort of role played by “sense data” in some early twentieth-century approaches to epistemology, for example—as the fundamental objects known. By following this form of consciousness's attempts to make these implicit criteria explicit, we are meant to appreciate that any such contents, even the apparently most “immediate” ones, in fact contain implicit conceptually articulated presuppositions, and so, in Hegel's terminology, are “mediated.” One might compare Hegel's point here to that expressed by Kant in his well known claim that without concepts, those singular and immediate mental representations he calls “intuitions” are “blind.” In more recent terminology one might talk of the “concept-” or “theory-ladenness” of all experience, and the lessons of this chapter have been likened to that of Wilfrid Sellars's famous criticism of the “myth of the given” (Sellars 1997).

How is this an interpretation? Can you please state in the Phenomenology where Hegel does this. Hell give me the translation, page number, and paragraph number, and I will look it up myself (I have the Miller and Baillie translation so which ever one will do.). Now I am simply interested.

So we have these immediate objects that are given to us in this "Here" and "Now" (I am using the terminology of the Miller translation) and we realize that what was once immediate now becomes mediate. If they were simply immediate, we would not be able to remember them, much less form anything of them; they could not be conceptualized. Give you an example: I write something on a piece of paper saying it is 3:15pm, and put the paper aside. I then, after some time, pick the paper back up and read it to myself. I have no understanding of it because I have no understanding of time (and by extension for Hegel, space). Thus, in the first chapter of the Phenomenology, we go from a "Here" and "Now" to a series of "Heres" and "Nows". We are basically presupposing the a priority of time and space as pure intuitions. They encompass the form of the objects of sense. Ta-da! First Chapter of the Roller-coaster known as the Phenomenology of Spirit reviewed. Whee! That was fun. If you want we can do the rest. Its a great ride. Takes about a month to finish.

We could even have a whole discussion if you are really interested. Its painful though. Hegel, well, he's a real charlatan. But I love the guy.

By the way, you still have yet to tell me what Bergson says of "pure intuitions". I have not read him yet (do not think I will either) so I am interested in what you have to say.

I would read Wilfred Sellars criticism, but I already have a reading list that is already too hot to handle! Hegel is on that list. Second time through a philosophical work is always much better *flashback to the Critique of Pure Reason*.

I do understand what Hegel is talking about. Would this not be sufficient for me being able to speak about him? Or am I missing something?

GoshisDead wrote:

To quote a famous philosopher (again), "All our knowledge begins with experience." -Immanuel Kant. If our knowledge comes from experience and neither of us have experienced "the universe" we have no knowledge of it. That of which we have no knowledge must be rendered into a form comparative to that of which we do have knowledge, which by default becomes a metaphor. You can say X part of the universe, which has been experienced, is, but you cannot say the universe is.

Wait... Whoa... I like this. "This" is what I wanted from you. An actual argument! If I were in your presence I would shake your hand good sir. Before we begin I must ask to make sure I have this down properly.

Premises
1. If our knowledge comes from experience and neither of us have experience "the universe", then we have no knowledge of it.

2. That of which we have no knowledge must be rendered into a form comparative to that of which we do have knowledge, which becomes a metaphor.

Conclusion

3. You can say X part of the universe, which has been experienced, is, but you cannot say the universe "is".

This is what you said correct? I want to make sure before we step any further.

GoshisDead wrote:

Last I checked Philosophy has many sub-disciplines that include, postmodernism, language, history, culture, and society. However if the secret cabal of master philosophers have clued you in on a change. Then okay cool. Also since there are no specific philosophy subforums as of yet, the general area will have to do. the

The philsophy of language does consist partly of meta-language. It discusses metaphor and all that jazz. One can do predicate calculus and discuss meta-language one without the other is useless. A calculus breakdown is not applicable to anything without a discussion of usage, semantics, prosidy, pragmatics etc... Language consists of much more than its calculus. Its calculus is an arbitrary analysis of its usage per incident. If a language consisted only of its calculus computer programmers would have been able to create a language algorythm.

It may be beneficial not to conflate formal logic and philosophy or for that matter the syntactic form of language with language the former is simply an analytic method used in the latter, they are not the same.

I did not say that one had the advantage over the other; I said that one should not confuse the two. One should not confuse the matter with the form, or vice versa. We have to be precise is all I am saying, and not get ourselves into a pile of knots. Trust me good sir, I will not forget about our fun meta-languages, nor syntax.

Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 07:29 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:

To quote a famous philosopher (again), "All our knowledge begins with experience." -Immanuel Kant.

I am afraid you gave only half the quote from Kant. The entire quote goes, "Although all our knowledge begins with experience, it does not follow that it arises from experience" According to Kant, the human mind also contributes to human knowledge, so that even if we do not experience the universe (at least, not as such) still, we may still have knowledge of the universe.

Ken... Shhh.... I was gonna get him on that. You've gone and ruined everything! Oh well. I cannot stay mad at you forever.

Ill correct myself and go straight from the Kemp translation. "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience."(B1)
0 Replies

north

Reply Thu 9 Sep, 2010 07:48 pm
@A Lyn Fei,
A Lyn Fei wrote:

I have come to see reality as meaningless and therefore a wonderful playground for all imaginable thought.

Have you come to this conclusion that there is no meaning in the universe?

Why or why not?

interesting that your , our , existence , is meaningless

have we been so conditioned from several thousand yrs of religious " meaning to life " that we can't seem to find our own Human existence as meaningful ?

it seems so , unfortunately

0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 01:19 am
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:

How is this an interpretation? Can you please state in the Phenomenology where Hegel does this. Hell give me the translation, page number, and paragraph number, and I will look it up myself (I have the Miller and Baillie translation so which ever one will do.). Now I am simply interested.

So we have these immediate objects that are given to us in this "Here" and "Now" (I am using the terminology of the Miller translation) and we realize that what was once immediate now becomes mediate. If they were simply immediate, we would not be able to remember them, much less form anything of them; they could not be conceptualized. Give you an example: I write something on a piece of paper saying it is 3:15pm, and put the paper aside. I then, after some time, pick the paper back up and read it to myself. I have no understanding of it because I have no understanding of time (and by extension for Hegel, space). Thus, in the first chapter of the Phenomenology, we go from a "Here" and "Now" to a series of "Heres" and "Nows". We are basically presupposing the a priority of time and space as pure intuitions. They encompass the form of the objects of sense. Ta-da! First Chapter of the Roller-coaster known as the Phenomenology of Spirit reviewed. Whee! That was fun. If you want we can do the rest. Its a great ride. Takes about a month to finish.

We could even have a whole discussion if you are really interested. Its painful though. Hegel, well, he's a real charlatan. But I love the guy.

I would prefer to skip the protracted Hegel discussion. He is not my favorite read, although I could turn you on to an infrequent poster who might be interested. However to answer you its right on the first page of the first chapter. Page 58 section 91 in Miller. About sense certainty "All that it says about what it knows is just that it is; and its truth contains nothing but the sheer being of the thing." After that point one must ask questions of the sense certainty, placing it in the context of time and space primarily which we are only capable of recognizing the past and speculating on the future. Secondarily all other things about the sense certainty get placed in context compared and contrasted sections 95-100. Hegel doesn't use the word interpretation. That is my word. It accurately describes the cognition process. The term process being key. One does not simply know a thing. It is a process in which facts gets placed into context of time, space, experience, expectation etc. It is an interpretive process.
Ding an Sich wrote:

By the way, you still have yet to tell me what Bergson says of "pure intuitions". I have not read him yet (do not think I will either) so I am interested in what you have to say.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/bergson/
Section 3 on Bergson's intuition versus that of Kant. It is also in chapter 12 of The Creative Mind

Ding an Sich wrote:

Premises
1. If our knowledge comes from experience and neither of us have experience "the universe", then we have no knowledge of it.

2. That of which we have no knowledge must be rendered into a form comparative to that of which we do have knowledge, which becomes a metaphor.

Conclusion

3. You can say X part of the universe, which has been experienced, is, but you cannot say the universe "is".

This is what you said correct? I want to make sure before we step any further.

Yeah that works. Although it was somewhat presented tongue in cheek to play with the quote you gave. It is a nice enough argument for the need to use metaphor in regards to the nature of the universe, or the whole of the universe, or really anything in which we have experience in part but not the whole yet feel that we need to synecdochally extend the part to the whole.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 08:51 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

It shows the sophistry of certain people who tout logic as the end all and be all of philosophical debate.

How does quoting out of context (I imagine that is what you mean by "decontextualized quotes") do that? By the way, who does that? And what does it mean? Have you an example of touting logic as etc.? It sound just a wee bit exaggerated to me. Doesn't it to you?
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 10:24 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:

It shows the sophistry of certain people who tout logic as the end all and be all of philosophical debate.

How does quoting out of context (I imagine that is what you mean by "decontextualized quotes") do that? By the way, who does that? And what does it mean? Have you an example of touting logic as etc.? It sound just a wee bit exaggerated to me. Doesn't it to you?

Quoting out of context with the expectation of that quote meaning something significant is common rhetorical ploy. For those who want appeal to authority without backing up what they are saying with anything real. One of the problems with it is that like the Kant quote which was bandied about, it can be used to seemingly back up several arguments even when those arguments are in opposition. It ends up being a false comparison, as the quote does often back up a tangential part of the argument but not the actual argument. When people take teaching and presentation courses they are often taught, to get attention, quote, to teach, quote after laying a groundwork of context in which the quote and its context apply directly to the matter being taught.

The appeal to authority bound in the quote is bound in the name attributed to the quote. This is the oldest sophist ploy in the book. Hitch my wagon to the star. I am therefore free to shoot out shoddy arguments and cut people down because I have (authority) on my side.

Since you asked; you and your oft quoted, "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent." ~ Wittgenstein is a prime example.
However, its a trend several people are doing. they are welcome to do it. I just find it annoying and disingenuous for people who repeatedly pride themselves on their logical arguments. Presenting the Wittgenstein quote as "if you don't know what you are talking about, shut up" doesn't make it any less rude or any more logical than if you said, "if you don't know what you are talking about, shut up". It simply thinly disguises the cut down and attaches a respected name to it.

Finally, no it doesn't sound exaggerated or I wouldn't have written it in an undramatic way.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:02 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:

Quoting out of context with the expectation of that quote meaning something significant is common rhetorical ploy. For those who want appeal to authority without backing up what they are saying with anything real. One of the problems with it is that like the Kant quote which was bandied about, it can be used to seemingly back up several arguments even when those arguments are in opposition. It ends up being a false comparison, as the quote does often back up a tangential part of the argument but not the actual argument. When people take teaching and presentation courses they are often taught, to get attention, quote, to teach, quote after laying a groundwork of context in which the quote and its context apply directly to the matter being taught.

The appeal to authority bound in the quote is bound in the name attributed to the quote. This is the oldest sophist ploy in the book. Hitch my wagon to the star. I am therefore free to shoot out shoddy arguments and cut people down because I have (authority) on my side.

Since you asked; you and your oft quoted, "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent." ~ Wittgenstein is a prime example.
However, its a trend several people are doing. they are welcome to do it. I just find it annoying and disingenuous for people who repeatedly pride themselves on their logical arguments. Presenting the Wittgenstein quote as "if you don't know what you are talking about, shut up" doesn't make it any less rude or any more logical than if you said, "if you don't know what you are talking about, shut up". It simply thinly disguises the cut down and attaches a respected name to it.

Finally, no it doesn't sound exaggerated or I wouldn't have written it in an undramatic way.

You confuse (as many do) citing a source, or simply quoting someone in order make your point more neatly than you think you yourself can, with arguing from authority. When I say something like, "As so-and-so said...." I need not be saying something like, "It is true, and it is true because so-and-so said it". now, that would be arguing from authority. But if I say, for instance, "As Aristotle said, one swallow does not make a summer" I am not saying that one swallow does not make a summer, and I have Aristotle's authority as evidence for that. You have been in academia too long. You think that whenever there is a citation there is evidence. It is not true.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:16 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

GoshisDead wrote:

You confuse (as many do) citing a source, or simply quoting someone in order make your point more neatly than you think you yourself can, with arguing from authority. When I say something like, "As so-and-so said...." I need not be saying something like, "It is true, and it is true because so-and-so said it". now, that would be arguing from authority. But if I say, for instance, "As Aristotle said, one swallow does not make a summer" I am not saying that one swallow does not make a summer, and I have Aristotle's authority as evidence for that. You have been in academia too long. You think that whenever there is a citation there is evidence. It is not true.

You are confusing arguing from authority with appealing to authority. One is like you said X person says it better than I can. Normally that person has credentials that I don't. In this case quotes are fine, especially in context or at the very least citation from which the reader can research context to make sure that the quote is actually saying what the author of the post says it does. Appealing to authority is riding on the coat tails of a name.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:37 pm
Not for nothing, but i always found that Kant quote, especially when taken out of context in the manner that Ding-an-Sich first insinuated it into the convo, completely the reverse of the facts.

To whit: "All knowledge begins with inexperience." --razzleg

@kennethamy, how very like you to point out the incomplete quotation when stirring up **** with Gosh, but completely neglect to admit that Gosh's quote was an ironic quote of Ding's incomplete and misleading quote, rather than an actual quote of Kant.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 11:51 pm
@A Lyn Fei,
A Lyn Fei wrote:

I have come to see reality as meaningless and therefore a wonderful playground for all imaginable thought.

Have you come to this conclusion that there is no meaning in the universe?

Why or why not?

On the contrary, i find that reality has a plethora of meanings, many contradictory to the others, but all accessible given the knack. Imagination is not contrary to the experience of reality, but necessary for it. The occasional intrusion of meaninglessness into our experience is merely an example of the limit case imposed on us by reality's rhythms.

Haha, i'm feeling very facile tonight, so feel free to ignore this post; if i unfolded this argument any further, i would undoubtedly start spewing out even more offensive absurdities.
GoshisDead

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 12:10 am
@Razzleg,
If we are in the realm of contemplative speculation is there such a thing as an offensive absurdity? Feel free to expound on that last post. I wouldn't mind seeing where it goes. It may even be that the logic police aren't patrolling right now.
Razzleg

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 01:35 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

If we are in the realm of contemplative speculation is there such a thing as an offensive absurdity? Feel free to expound on that last post. I wouldn't mind seeing where it goes. It may even be that the logic police aren't patrolling right now.

Haha, well, okay. But i'm not in the mood to defend myself if they show up. Besides, you're doing a fine job of mincing the meat of their self-important buffoonery on your own. (*gratuitous high-five-ing at a close*)

As a thought experiment, imagine that reality was not merely subject to multiple (possibly contradictory) interpretations, but demanded them. That is, reality is not a passive object the distant nature of which allows different subjective interpretations of events, but is rather a dynamic series of events that invites subjects to play different (and contrasting) meaningful roles within it. People do not merely disagree because of some confusion between them, but because different aspects of reality are accessible to them.

i don't mean to portray people as passive puppets in a play (yay alliteration). Rather, the intercourse between people and reality is a "two way street", and the the signs that demarcate that street (language) do not interfere with traffic so much as guide it.

My description of the experience of "reality" giving our assurance of systematic knowledge a kick in the teeth, by way of the introduction of meaninglessness, has been much better described by the novelist and essayist Nicholson Baker, in his essay "Changes of Mind." My "reality's rhythms" is a very diffuse metaphor. i don't want to insinuate that reality proceeds with a metronome-like beat. But she does seem to occasionally introduce a meaningless event into our lives to trip up our otherwise assured claim to faultless genius.

i imagine that all of us experience those brief periods in the, otherwise arduous, task of piling thought upon thought to make a shape out of the apparent facts when--suddenly everything seems to make sense! Let's call it "inspiration". One moment, one is struggling to support an argument, and then in another the entire structure of our various opinions seems to be self-supporting. For days, our every interpretation seems infallible, and deeply connected with another erstwhile and seemingly meaningless opinion. We seem wise to ourselves, and trustworthy in our judgments. But then...inevitably, reality intrudes. A seeming irrelevance has grown to present an unavoidable obstacle to our increasing omniscience. As suddenly as everything seemed comprehensible, everything requires revaluation. Sometimes, this happens because of some mistake on our part, but sometimes it is because reality itself has only made some hitherto undiscover-able portion of herself available to us, but only those of us willing to open ourselves up to that very portion of reality.

i know that all of the above is speculative, and perhaps unprovable. But it is this very thought experiment that tends to incite my acceptance of philosophical POVs that are inclusive rather than exclusive. Maybe it is nothing but an updated version of Pascal's wager, but i have a feeling about the odds being good.
Arjuna

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 06:37 am
@Razzleg,
I get the idea of there being a rhythm to it.

You can only play chess by accepting the rules. If it occured to you that you don't have to move the knight in an L-shape... that you could toss it out the window if you wanted... you aren't playing the game anymore.

You can easily bring meaning back by accepting (subjugating your actions to) the rules again.

Suppose all your beliefs are fundamentally similar to this. At any point your beliefs could be undermined by an examination of their foundations. Call it belief entropy. Something keeps beliefs from disintegrating and leaving us profoundly crippled. Call it the life-force, Will, Eros... the will to to play the game.

The point when belief entropy takes over is when I'm ready to change beliefs. When a belief is no longer serving my life, the flaws at it's foundation become obvious to me. I may imagine that I suddenly became more insightful. The truth is, I couldn't have seen the flaws previously. The will to play the game was blinding me.

So if I'm communicating with someone who has fundamentally different beliefs, it's good to see that person's beliefs aren't just intellectual. Their anchor is ultimately that person's will to live. My skepticism is entirely impotent against that. The believer won't see what I'm talking about unless he happens to be ready to change beliefs.

Maybe it's better to see that I am also a believer. I'm just playing a different game.

0 Replies