Boston Church Considering Filing for Bankruptcy.

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 05:38 pm
In an unprecedented move, the archdiocese of Boston is considering filing for bankruptcy.

"Filing for bankruptcy protection in federal court would halt action in the civil lawsuits against the archdiocese, would prevent new lawsuits from being brought against the church while it reorganizes its finances and would combine the hundreds of plaintiffs into a single group, the paper said.
It would also amount to an admission by the church that it was negligent in handling priests accused of sexually abusing children, and that it is liable for the claims brought against it by alleged victims, the paper said, citing one of the church sources."

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=OY5GUQHEN3X4CCRBAEOCFEY?type=topNews&storyID=1831739

What is your opinion on this? Should the church have the ability to file for bankruptcy? What is your opinion on the morality and ethics of this move?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,880 • Replies: 6
No top replies

BillW

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 06:47 pm
How can a particular church go bankrupt, shouldn't it fall back on Rome. If Rome lost all its money, then the whole church could go bankrupt? Still sounds wrong, doesn't it?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2002 10:10 pm
there is nothing i can say to express my disgust.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2002 06:29 pm
I don't use every day, and never have used such words as priests, archdiocese, cardinals, bishops, etc. The churches I've attended merely used biblical scripture to teach morals, and how to handle the various problems we encounter throughout life. Our teachers were called ministers and when one fell he'/she was fired, as in go get a job as a salesman.

The Catholic Church is bankrupt in more ways than financially. It is morally bankrupt and has let its congregation down. I don't care what this CHURCH does about its money after all victims are paid in full for the destruction of their lives by sick men. The Catholic CHURCH should introduce some changes that include priests' , bishops, cardinals, popes, etc. right to marriage and children, and a board of directors in each church made up of its members.
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 06:38 am
Looking at this situation purely in terms of the consideration of a bankruptcy filing, I think the Archdiocese should be able to file for bankruptcy independently of the Vatican, should they so choose. I see it as a parallel to when a small company that is owned by a larger parent company goes under. Sometimes it isn't worthwhile for the parent company to keep the smaller company afloat, and it is dissolved.

Now, looking at the Church not as a financial entity but as a place people go for spiritual nourishment, the issue gets a little thornier. The Vatican needs to start taking more responsibility for what happened in part of its jurisdiction.

The Archdiocese of Boston is beginning to attempt to take financial responsibility for its actions. I think that is what the bankruptcy filing comes down to. But taking financial responsibility and accepting the consequences of an organization's actions are not all the Archdiocese needs to do. The need to prove that nothing like this will ever happen again.

And in order to prove that this will never happen again, the ethical responsibility needs to be traced past Boston all the way to the Vatican.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 11 Dec, 2002 05:04 pm
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2002 01:51 pm
0 Replies