[resolved]Have to Log into A2K in the Morning.

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 08:10 am
This has been happening for a couple of weeks now. I leave my computer on all day. I will check A2K, and then turn the site off. I do this numerous times a day. When I turn the site back on, I am logged in. I have checked off "remember me" or whatever it says. My Zone Alarm is programmed to allow everything on the A2K URL.

Right before I go to bed, I turn the computer off. In the morning, I get to A2K from my desktop shortcut. I must be logged in, because I am at the Home Page, and the number of posts since the last time I was there is listed.

I click on "number of posts" to see what I have missed in the interim. I am then sent to the log in page. Sometimes, when I log in, I am again sent back to log in again. Usually the 2nd time does the trick, but I have lost my "view posts since you were here the last time", or whatever the heck it says, is lost.

Anybody have an answer for this one?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,363 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 08:18 am
When you log in, do you check mark that box that says something about remembering your login? If not, that's what you need to do so that A2K places a cookie on your computer.

Also, verify the url address your desktop shortcut takes you to when you click on it. If it is anything other then http://www.able2know.com, try creating a new shortcut with just that address. Your old shortcut might be leading you astray.

If it's something other then that, someone else will need to offer some suggestions. That's all I can think of at the moment.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 08:24 am
Quote:
When you log in, do you check mark that box that says something about remembering your login?

Yup!

Just checked the shortcut. It's the right URL, but maybe I'll make a new one, just for the heck of it. I'll turn of the computer, start it up again, and see what happens!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 08:37 am
Butrflynet - I owe ya! Very Happy

I made a new shortcut, turned the computer off, turned it back on, and I was logged in. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 09:02 am
I think that I spoke too soon. Sad When I clicked on the "view posts since your last visit", I got the login screen again! Crying or Very sad

I think that I noticed something though. I have to leave now, but I am going to check something when I come back, and let you know!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 09:18 am
I am so darn compulsive. I just HAD to see what happened. Well, this time I was logged on. Go figure.
What I had noticed though, was on the top of my page, it says

Quote:
Log Out [Phoenix32890]

On the times when I had to log in again, before I clicked "view posts after your last visit", my avatar is on the page, but on the top right of the page, it still says "Log Out", but the [Phoenix32890] is not there.

Does that give anyone a clue?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 09:21 am
Not to me. I could make some wild guesses and have you chasing after rainbows... best let one of the experts help so I don't waste your time.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 10:47 am
Phoenix, delete your able2know.com cookie. While you're at it, clear your cache too. I suspect everything will go back to normal after that. I've had strange login problems in the past caused by a faulty cookie file.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 02:40 pm
Monger- I make it a practice to clear my cache every evening, before I turn my computer off. I had gone out for a few hours late this morning, and had shut the computer down. When I turned A2K on I WAS logged on.

There must be a deranged hamster who is hell bent on "gaslighting" me! :wink:
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 04:01 pm
Phoenix,

When you shut down the PC for the night, do you just close your browser or do you click on the Log Out [username] link in the header on the page?

If you are using Log Out, try not using it this time and just close your browser. If the problem does not recur, then try using the Log Out link again and let us know if the problem repeats. If so, that may provide a clue for Craven. The timing of the problem and your newly added forum responsibility suggest it might have to do with your level of forum security clearance if that was changed when you got the added responsibility a couple of weeks ago.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 04:33 pm
Butrflynet- I never log out. I just hit the "X" on the top of the page, to turn A2K off.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:01 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Monger- I make it a practice to clear my cache every evening, before I turn my computer off. I had gone out for a few hours late this morning, and had shut the computer down. When I turned A2K on I WAS logged on.

There must be a deranged hamster who is hell bent on "gaslighting" me! :wink:

I just realized what you said here. When you clear the cache, you are also erasing the A2K cookie. Something about the way your PC is storing the new cookie in the mornings is what the problem is. You might verify that all your Zone Alarm settings are what you expect them to be. Something might of gotten changed somehow that isn't letting A2K save the refreshed cookie to your PC correctly.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:00 pm
Phoenix, it sounds like a user-side problem.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Monger- I make it a practice to clear my cache every evening, before I turn my computer off.

Clearing your cache does NOT delete your cookie files.
Monger wrote:
Phoenix, delete your able2know.com cookie. While you're at it, clear your cache too.

By the way, why do you clear your cache every day? You can limit the amount of space your cache uses, but there're no real benefits to clearing your cache every day.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 06:10 pm
Monger- I think that I started clearing my cache during the time when I was a computer newbie. I was crashing all over the place, and someone had mentioned that clearing the cache might solve my problem, if it was a website that caused the problem. It really helped. So I got used to doing it.

I did notice something that had changed with my Zone Alarm settings. I corrected it. So I'll see what happens tomorrow, and get back to you all. Thanks for the help!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 05:36 am
Today I was able to get right into A2K, and I was logged in. I think that it had to do with my Zone Alarm. (No "I told you so", Craven, please!)
For some mysterious reason, of which I cannot fathom, my custom parameters for the A2K site (let everything in) had disappeared, and A2K was loading on the default mode, which probably wiped out the cookie.

I have no idea how it happened, as I never removed it! Embarrassed
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 10:45 am
As an aside Monger, some programs that clear "cache" also clear cookies though IE doesn't do this by default.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 10:58 am
Thanks for the clarification, Craven. I know that, but I was assuming Phoe uses IE to do it. Of course, there's a pretty good chance she doesn't. . .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 11:04 am
Yeah, I'm not sure how Zone Alarm does it. ZA sucks!
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 11:11 am
'Tis bloatware all the way! And oh, outbound filtering is a joke.

(OK, Phoenix should be here to hit us with her broom any minute now! Smile)
0 Replies