It's 10 o'clock. Do you know where your children are?

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 02:28 pm
The other day, Mr. B and I were talking about this very common public service announcement from back when we were kids. There has been a rash of shootings here lately -- kids shooting kids. It's terribly sad. We wondered if something as simple as reminding parents to check on their kids made any difference. Would it make any difference today?

So I've been thinking about PSAs and what they might be saying about culture.

Then today I came across this....

Have you ever seen a PSA that knocked your socks off?

What was the message?

Do you think the message had an impact?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 5,627 • Replies: 26
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:06 pm
Here's a PSA that I will never ever ever forget. Warning, it's hard to watch.

Eva

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:15 pm
Yes. There was a PSA I watched when I was in highschool...late '60s, early '70s. It was a defining experience for me.

It showed ordinary working people going about their jobs. A trash collector emptied a garbage can into the back of a trash truck, then set the can back on the curb...and proudly signed his name on it. A highway construction worker painted a broken white line down the middle of a new road. At the end, he got out of his paint truck...and signed his name right there on the road under the last white line. There were several other examples as well. The message: What would the world be like if everyone had to sign their work?

It made me realize that there is no such thing as an insignificant job. No matter what you do, you should do it to the best of your ability and take pride in your work.

Call me what you will, but I believe in that with all my heart.
boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:31 pm
Thanks, Eva. That's a very cool message to send!

People always laugh when Mo tells them he wants to be an exterminator (like Billy the Exterminator on the Discovery Channel). He simply doesn't understand why everybody doesn't think this would be the coolest job in the world. I tell him I think it's a great plan.
Eva

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:52 pm
@boomerang,
If he really wants to do that, it IS a great plan!

We NEED good exterminators!
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 05:53 pm
@Eva,
I watched that and all it taught me was that its alright to graffitti trash cans.
Pemerson

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 06:39 pm
Bandit is on the couch sleeping, Odie is on his pillow on the floor, Josephine is sitting in he window watching the birds, and Nixie is under the bed. 7:39 here in TX.
boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 06:43 pm
@Pemerson,
Ooooookayyyyyy.......
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 06:43 pm
@GoshisDead,
I think you should change your moniker to GoshisaVandal.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 06:45 pm
@Pemerson,
Spooky is sleeping on the cat perch. Nermal is demanding door opening services. It is past cerfew
Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 09:06 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Here's a PSA that I will never ever ever forget. Warning, it's hard to watch.

That was a powerful message
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 07:10 pm
@boomerang,
It's 10 o'clock. Do you know where your children are?
Yes. Yes I do know where they are because they don't exist. I have no children thanks for asking. Rolling Eyes

~

But as with this PSA? It makes a powerful statement but I'm not sure whom it's making a statement towards? Policy makers in the EU? Wealthy socialites and guilt~ridden socially progressive billionaires? The average voter so they can write a letter to their members of their respective parliament? It's got me stumped. I wished it could make an impact but I seriously doubt it.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 11:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
Which PSA are you referring to?
Pemerson

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 04:13 pm
Oh, Boomerang, I didn't watch the PSA because somehow I just missed it being there. Stupid. So sad, both the PSA's.

When I was raising children they ran all over the street, then the subdivision, then all over town. In the 70's, however, I did ask myself all the time when at work: I wonder what my kids are doing. The drugs being sold to 3rd graders, even. We all entered a new time on this earth. Mostly, now, mothers are either carrying their kids to this or that, or they are in their huge home with everything they need to entertain themselves. Also, they could be in the back yard with the 6 ft. privacy fence, though I've heard they don't seem to go there much.

And, yes, I wonder at times when I'm driving and the traffic is totally amazing here in the Austin area, that there are not more auto accidents. The freeways here are almost unbearable. How many have been drinking? Scary, goodness yes.

I also wonder if today's parents know that it wasn't always like this. And, about poverty: Kids sometimes don't notice they are poor -- depends on how their parents feel about their state of being. What was the name of that movie where the father had his little son with him through WWII and concentration camps, all the while telling his son the whole damn thing was a game. Think it could have been "A Beautiful Life." I'll check for the correct name and the actor.

I was brought up in a children's home (180 kids) and we all thought we were having the perfect life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 04:49 pm
@roger,
Demanding door opening again?
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:04 pm
The movie was Life is Beautiful with Roberto Benigni, who received an Academy Award for his role.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:06 pm
@Pemerson,
I never saw it. I like Benigni, from some early movie of his having to do with a train. (I see I'm being discursive again)
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:08 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't mean to skip the main point, re knowing where your children are. I figure that is complicated as a subject.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:29 pm
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Which PSA are you referring to?

The first one. The one preaching to the converted.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 07:48 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I never saw it. I like Benigni, from some early movie of his having to do with a train. (I see I'm being discursive again)

One of the best movies (true story) I've seen on the subject. Since I've got you here you must see Ma0's Last Dancer, just out today. Watching the people coming out of the movie was just as interesting as seeing the movie. Some scholarly looking well-to-do, part or all Chinese. Everybody cried.

discursive is ok.