Who would you write a fan letter to?

aidan

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 02:51 pm
HEY! I just got something like a fan letter:
(from the New Jersey blog)
Quote:
So here it is...........the snow, its finally hit us and with a bit of a vengeance. Why? Who knows, but I cant remember a Winter starting like this in my 39 years...maybe the Gulf Stream? Whoa conspiracy boy, its the season of goodwill. And here it is, Christmas is almost upon us.

A time of year I love, ever since I was a little boy, and I still havent grown up. Its also a time of reflection, I do a lot of thinking at this time of year, it seems I never stop, but.....maybe I should just for a little while.
While Im thinking though I would like to spare some time for everyone I know out there who isnt having the best of time, some friends of family with serious illness, some family with some real issues too....good luck with it all as we slip into the next year.
I reflect on the year and its been a busy one, some real highs and strangely enough some lows that are starting to get a little lower, hence the tone of some of the blogs in recent months. In truth my life has changed a lot recently and emphasis has changed somewhat which means I view it all a little differently...dare I say, I have come close to considering my future with NJ....but, Richie and I have been through it for many years and we are stronger than just getting a bit down and walking away.....I think of the highs this year...Hamilton Fields where I truly felt like the audience and we were one, a superb couple of nights but there have been a lot of lows.
In these times I notice the places we play getting more and more quiet and I hope that isnt us, after all we do our best to try and put some recent material in our sets. These times are some of the toughest that we have encountered and its taking its toll on all the people that would ordinarily come along to a New Jersey gig. It is incredibly hard to play to a quiet room and its an art I struggle with and something that I either accept maybe, or think about what is done about it.

One of the highlights are the people that we meet and this year the fan of the year award goes to.......Rebecca Hearn step forward. A lady who first saw us at the Riverside in Ross on Wye in the Summer.
Hailing from New Jersey in America she was strangely drawn to the name on the board that night and thankfully we didnt disappoint. She has since travelled many miles to see us on a number of occasions the last being Saturday night in Hereford. Thank you so much for your support.

Its times like that that stop me from doing the unthinkable in taking breaks from a band I love. When a lady like Rebecca comes up to you at the end of the night and says that she has just heard the best version of Run (Snow Patrol) ever it makes it special. She liked it even more than Snow Patrol which is amazing....it also has some sentimental value to her so that makes it even better.

Richie and I have it pretty good. It is so easy to get numb about it but then something triggers the emotion once again and it is all worthwhile. So what do we do in this year that is almost upon us.........2011.
One year away from doomsday supposedly. Will it be the best year ever for NJ or will it be strangely quiet? I really feel that it has to be one or the other. Our diary is deliberately empty for next year while we discuss the way forward. However, I have some good feelings about it all.

There are a couple of dates in 2011 for everyones diary...Hamilton Fields, Silverstone for the British Grand Prix and Renault Super Series. A couple of special dates that we would like to share with the people that we meet throughout the year.
So, everyone who has given a **** about NJ maybe we should all look at descending on Hamilton Fields for the Grand Prix gig and having one big party around our tents (we will look at securing a section on the field for all) before we hit the stage for what Im sure will once again be a special night in the life of NJ and the people we play to. I am looking into seeing how many people would be interested in joining us in Silverstone with their tents and Camper vans for the event......it could be one crazy night!!

So, a slightly melancholy blog on this snowy night with some uncertainty in the NJ air, but also some real excitement about the future.Thankyou to all of you who have supported us in 2010 and have a superb Christmas.One more date before New Year for us. Next Thursday at The golden Lion in Cinderford and then the big day is nearly upon us.Happy Christmas.

And for SURE - they're playing for my birthday - which ushers in Spring....yeah..isn't it wonderful when people and music connect? I think I could live without food for longer than I could live without music.

Thank god there are people in the world who can sing and play instruments.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 02:10 am
Going to see NJ again on Saturday - hurray! Found them doing another Snow Patrol song on youtube - I think they are really good!

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 31 Jan, 2011 02:23 am
I just remembered another fan letter I wrote - to Hank Wangford.

I first saw him with the Lost Cowboys in Yeoville...just another episode of serendipity- right place at the right time.
Anyway - love him. He's so funny. He's a medical doctor, and an ordained minister as well as a British country musician and afficianado.
He was Gram Parson's doctor - and Keith Richard's- back in the seventies or something.
He doesn't practice medicine anymore.
Anyway - Gram turned him onto country rock and he's been doing that ever since.

Just went to his seventieth birthday bash - and follow him whenever he plays Devon/Dorset/Somerset.

He's funny as hell. He's also the president of the nude mountaineering society@

Quote:

HANK WANGFORD

Read Hank's STRIPPERS WITH ALTITUDE from the Guardian here.

NUDE MOUNTAINEERING SOCIETY

Strippers with Altitude
Welcome to the Nude Mountaineering Society Webpage. To explain my background in Skinny-Gripping at great heights I’ll quote from my rebuttal in the Guardian of the Nepali Mountaineering Society’s censure of one of their members exposing his member on the world’s highest peak.

I was drawn into the joys of trouserless peaking by the great George Mallory. Mallory was an English hero, an explorer and mountaineer, and a true English eccentric — brave, foolhardy and inspirational. He attempted Everest in the 1920s and may even have been the first to successfully climb the mountain in 1924. He disappeared and his body was discovered 75 years later very close to the summit. He was wearing a tweed jacket. No Gore-Tex, no down jackets. Was he on the way up or down? We may never know.

My inspiration for the Nude Mountaineering Society, and my assumption of presidency, came from an arresting picture of Mallory and his associate at Everest base camp both wearing jaunty trilby hats and rucksacks on their backs. George Mallory is otherwise naked. His friend has a jacket on but no trousers. It is a wonderful picture, bare-assed cheek and all, that could never offend the spirits of the Great Mountain. These two heroic role models transcend all that and their kecks-free frolics are a tribute, a sacrament to the mountain. And we'll never know if Mallory not only got to the summit but also went for the trousers down approach as an ultimate gesture. Just for the craic.

Some of my other buff-clambers are mentioned in the Guardian article elsewhere on this page. Click here

We welcome anyone who wants to join the Society (there are no certificates or membership paraphernalia for where would you put them? – just the quiet and private satisfaction of being part of a freedom-loving movement transcending mere borders).

To become part of this inter-continental phenomenon email a digital photo, jpeg, of yourself or selves on your personal peak with details of date and place and name unless you want to remain anonymous. Front or rear views are acceptable though you will notice that as President I avoid exposing the earth-moving equipment for fear of frightening any high climbing horses, yaks or llamas.

Add a blog-memoir of the day and any details you feel you’d like to share with other like minded mountain strippers.

And bingo! You’re in.

Sincerely and Altitudinally,

Hank

you can see pictures of his skinny butt here:http://www.hankwangford.co.uk/nums.html

He inspires me- so multi-talented. I want to go nude mountaineering too!

Here are a couple of his songs:

and because I'm going back to Texas with my mom for another family reunion in April- hurray - I've been listening to this:

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 1 Feb, 2011 11:46 pm
Here's his next gig for anyone who's interested and on this side of the pond.
I wish I could go - can't- it's a school night.

Quote:
Dear Friends, Neighbours and Far-Away Fans,
Here's a little nudge for you London and Home Counties based folk that the Lost Cowboys are joining Hank at the Half Moon this Thursday.
Be good to see you there.

Thursday 3rd February Hank Wangford & The Lost Cowboys
featuring BJ Cole & Martin Belmont

Half Moon Putney

93 Lower Richmond Road

SW15 1EU

By Public Demand!

Flexing his seventy year old muscles and stiffening his ancient sinews ready for the Big Belt Tightening, Hank and the Lost Cowboys have been invited back to one of their spiritual homes for another dose of gloom as the winter drags on. Come and shiver with Hank to some high class Country music so soon after the enforced gaiety of Xmas. With little to recommend it, February is truly a time to be miserable. Let Hank push you over the edge.

Booking 020 8780 9383

Tickets £10

Keep yodelling!

Hankfully yours,

Colonel Frank Wangford (no relation)

0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2011 05:13 am
Greg Allman: in fact I just got tickets to see him July 2 in Birmingham- maybe I can wrangle an autograph!

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 09:17 am
Well Charlie Sheen of course....

winning!

Wonder how he will do in Boston tomorrow - heard the tickets at the agencies are now as low as $18.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 10:07 am
@Linkat,
Y woud anyone care
what he had to say about his career ??
Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 10:27 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Just looked-the lowest priced went down to $15.

David - exactly why these prices are falling - maybe tomorrow I can get them for $5
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 10:29 am
@Linkat,
I 'd pay $5 to avoid it.
Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 10:30 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I'd pay more - fortunately I don't have to pay anything to avoid it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2011 10:31 am

I heard that he got a BIG WELCOME
from a sold out crowd at Radio City Music Hall, a few nites ago,
which then boood him off the stage
when he got into his act (if that is what it is).
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 05:15 am
Yeah - well, went to see Gregg Allman and boy would I write a fan letter to him- he was so, so, so, so good and seemed like such a wonderfully charming and calmed down southern gentleman. I will write him a fan letter if I can figure out where to send it. He's made my favorite kind of music for forty years now- and if anything he's better than the ever was having given up the drugs and booze and been through a liver transplant:

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 07:48 am
@aidan,
Cher liked him.
aidan

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 12:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
He liked her too - he said (and I quote) 'Cher is good people'.
They have a son together- his name is Elijah.
I think though when he was with her, he was in the midst of his drug and alcohol abuse/addiction phase. He's totally clean now and just seemed like the nicest, nicest guy- and boy can he still sing (and play- organ AND guitar).
aidan

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2011 04:58 am
@aidan,
I just wrote a fan letter to The Blind Boys of Alabama

I went to see them Friday night and I know I'm prone to hyperbole, but I am not exaggerating when I say that that was the best concert I have ever been to.

I got to hug Jimmy Carter - the oldest and one of the founding members- and I consider that to be one of the greatest honors of my life. I have so much respect for him as a man beset by hardship and affliction, not only was he born blind, but also black in the segregated south and he has lived his life lifting other people up. What a life well-lived.

And their music speaks for itself. I was smiling inside and out from the first note of the first song to the last note of the last song.
I want their music played at my funeral:

the first song they sang:

the last song they sang:

I love this man:

aidan

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2012 01:06 pm
@aidan,
Just wrote a fan letter (on Facebook) to Jonathan Franzen:

Am just reading 'The Connections' - a friend gave it to me for Christmas because I was talking about my Mom's dementia due to Parkinson's- and he told me I had to read this book. I unwrapped it early (I didn't have anything to read the other day on the train) and I'm so glad I did. I am enjoying every page. I alternate between flat out laughing so hard that I keep dropping the book and losing my place and reading passages over and over again because they help me understand just exactly what a person who's going through something like Parkinson's induced dementia is actually thinking and feeling. I love the paragraphs where you talk about how his hands are like disobedient children he can't control.
I just want to say thank you for writing this book. It's a gift I will always treasure. I recognize the landscape of dementia you describe, but I'd never have been able to fathom or describe it's origins or tributaries as you do. So yes, thank you so much for writing this book and I'll be reading all your others.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 06:30 pm
I'd like to write one to Kim Kardashian. I honestly have no idea why the Kardashians are famous. This isn't me attempting to be superior to people who like them. (That's a given.) I just have no idea what they do or sell or endorse. Clothes? Makeup? Sex tapes? All of the above? I am not curious enough to check Wikipedia.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 06:36 pm
@jcboy,
It might have to do with money and access because of it, and a pushy mother (does she have one? I get these people mixed up).

I slightly follow Lindsay Lohan, Miss Trouble, because she lives in my old neighborhood, a steady up and down place for decades that is now hot. That she lives there is a pinpoint of how the place has changed.
jcboy

Reply Mon 14 Jan, 2013 06:48 pm
@ossobuco,
The only thing I know about her is she was in some silly reality TV show, later married, which only lasted a little over two months, now married again. They say she’s famous for being famous. What ever that means Razz
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 15 Jan, 2013 05:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Okay I did some research today. Well, it starts with the decessed father, who was a famous trial lawyer. The mother later married former Olympian Bruce Jenner. The family went into reality television and had some success there. Now they are working being a celebrity and have multiple products in that celebrity line kind of way. mainly make up and clothes I beleive.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:18:50