ACK! Death by sugar.

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:50 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

And I bet your metabolism handled it perfectly.

I don't know about that but my mood got so much better after that
and it's definitely worth it to me. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:07 pm
Interesting, that's rouleaux the doctor is talking about, found (famously to me, in multiple myeloma, if I remember) and then diabetes and other conditions. I don't take that as happening with everybody - at least in my experience, I didn't see it much - though I didn't spend many years looking at regular lab blood smears. Well, a year as the hematology person five days a week in a general lab in an area in a city with a lot of doctor's offices, with the pathologist in the next room; and another later at another lab subbing for the routine lab person once in a while when she was at lunch. That was all later 60's or 70's. Anyway, rouleaux was always reported if seen, which was not all that often, but the general lab was not the size of a hospital lab, and the clinical immunology lab was more specialized.

On the other hand, since that time, diabetes seems to have zoomed in the population.

JPB may know more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rouleaux
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 11:03 pm
@boomerang,
The microscope images could be real if the guy already has diabetes. So a comparable intake of sugar would affect you only if you have diabetes, too.

That said, I distrust this video. The suggestive emphasis that your blood cells turn into needles, and the rant about artificial sweeteners at the end, both tell me that they helped along the merits of their case with a generous dose of rhetoric.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 11:19 pm
@Thomas,
I didn't listen that far. If there was a sweetener rant, that caps it. (Not that I think well of the sweeteners, but we're looking at agenda.)

I distrust the video as well. We must have had some patients with diabetes 1 or 2 back in my lab days. Wiki says diabetes mellitus, which is not as common as secondary diabetes, and wiki doesn't mention diabetes 2. The only people in my own life with diabetes 1 have been skinny.

Maybe rouleaux is suddenly showing up, but I don't know about it yet. On the other hand, I'm not in a lab in a county hospital.

Thomas

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 11:19 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:
From what I understand, there seems to be a difference in the quality of sugar in fresh fruit vs added, processed sugar. So, watermelon would be good, soda would be bad.

My understanding, as a type-2 diabetic who has read up on these things, is that there are two important parameters in eating carbohydrates. First, are the sugar molecules enclosed within cells, as opposed to floating around freely? If so, our bodies take longer to absorb the sugar, because they need to get it out of the cells first. Second, are we talking about mono-saccharides or long saccharide chains, also known as starches? Longer chains take longer for our bodies to absorb because they need to break them down into monosaccharides first. Lower absorption times means lower peaks in blood glucose concentration.

In the case you discuss, it's the first point that would have made the big difference between watermelon and soda.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 11:22 pm
@Thomas,
I didn't listen that far. If there was a sweetener rant, that caps it. (Not that I think well of the sweeteners, but we're looking at agenda.)

I distrust the video as well. We must have had some patients with diabetes 1 or 2 back in my lab days. Wiki says diabetes mellitus, which is not as common as secondary diabetes, and wiki doesn't mention diabetes 2. The only people in my own life with diabetes 1 have been skinny.

Maybe rouleaux is suddenly showing up, but I don't know about it yet.
As I said, I didn't see it often. On the other hand, I'm wasn't in a lab in a county hospital.

Meantime, for people with myeloma, this is a real problem.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 11:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Again, related to memory...

My lab internship was at Scripps Clinic in La Jolla. One part of the place was a diabetes clinic and the other part was world renown for research. (Woe was me, I was in the wrong part, but at least I got to go to lectures over there.) I did an internship month in hematology (my favorite month) and don't remember a lot of rouleaux there either... ahem, a diabetes clinic.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 11:41 pm
@Thomas,
Turn into needles? Wow. Maybe I should invest the time in downloading.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:24 am
@ossobuco,
Sorry to repeat. Beg pardon.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 01:06 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

Isn't that completely freaky.

It makes me wonder how we might treat ourselves if we could see results immediately.

Does anyone here think that ws a remotely normal amount of sugar to consume, though?

To me it looked utterly insane...especially adding the soft drink.

I certainly don't think a banana would do that!!! It's the refined cane sugar...and that man ate a ridiculous quantity.
Am I weird to think that nobody would consume that sort of quantity normally?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 02:09 am
I said what I think already. Rouleaux is unusual, unless the world has changed.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 05:44 am
Have to go out. Will try to come back and talk about glycemic index of foods. (Somebody else feel free to get that ball rolling Very Happy )
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 06:25 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

boomerang wrote:

Isn't that completely freaky.

It makes me wonder how we might treat ourselves if we could see results immediately.

Does anyone here think that ws a remotely normal amount of sugar to consume, though?

To me it looked utterly insane...especially adding the soft drink.

I certainly don't think a banana would do that!!! It's the refined cane sugar...and that man ate a ridiculous quantity.
Am I weird to think that nobody would consume that sort of quantity normally?

I agree.

Personally I think this video is a least a little bit of snake oil.

Re the banana, well, isn't that closing the barn door after the horse got out.

What message was THAT trying to give?

I've done some reading, and following advice, of sources about glycemic load (related to glycemic index, too freshly awake to discuss. I'll defer to Tai Chi)

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 06:32 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

A big serving of salmon by itself isn't going to be significant to blood sugar. Carbohydrates are the main source of blood sugar. Granted, fats and protein will partially metabolize to sugar, but it's hard to imagine it becoming a problem.

Hi roger.
I wasn't using the salmon as a sugar example. I meant what would our blood look like after eating X amount of protein, or a certain amount of various oils, or any type of food.

Is this just something blood does for a while when nutrients are first introduced?

I'd like to see someones blood under a microscope under a variety of conditions.

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:26 pm
I scoped the 'journalist'. He is selling a diet regimen. He's got books, diets, supplements, videos...... His you tube video doesn't allow for viewer commentary. He has some issues with the truth according to one guy who did some research.
roger

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:09 pm
@littlek,
Doesn't that just make you want to post a comment?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:24 am
@littlek,
Ha!!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 01:29 am
@littlek,
Quote:
I scoped the 'journalist'. He is selling a diet regimen. He's got books, diets, supplements, videos...... His you tube video doesn't allow for viewer commentary. He has some issues with the truth according to one guy who did some research.

You're a star, k!
You clever thing!
Go to the top of the class! Smile

I thought something was a bit suspect when one banana, for heavens sake, appeared to be off limits!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 10:50 am
Not at all surprised by this.

Honestly, I didn't watch the entire thing, just a little bit.
He seemed "salesman'y" to me, in that trying to create a sense of urgency.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 05:39 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

littlek wrote:
From what I understand, there seems to be a difference in the quality of sugar in fresh fruit vs added, processed sugar. So, watermelon would be good, soda would be bad.

.. First, are the sugar molecules enclosed within cells, as opposed to floating around freely?...Second, are we talking about mono-saccharides or long saccharide chains....In the case you discuss, it's the first point that would have made the big difference between watermelon and soda.

So would the second point: sugar in soda contains polysaccharides. Details on properties of various sugars posted on Edgar's thread:
http://able2know.org/topic/22068-15#post-4312035