Winter Color - Cyclamens and Camellias

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 02:35 pm
I live in Orange County and it does sometimes get close to freezing here. This is so far a mild winter and I've had things like tuberous begonias still blooming on my Northern exposure patio garden. Every winter I buy a lot of cyclamens. Some of the older ones come back, sometimes they don't are will be dormant for more than one season.
The camellia bush is blooming its head off as usual but for some reason I don't have a lot of luck with azaleas and gardenias (although a new everblooming variety is budding out nicely). Anyone have any other ideas for winter color? Actually, I love cyclamens and have always had about fifteen or so potted around to plug into places where the begonias have and other summer plants have faltered. I get Northern bright light but no sun on the patio from October through April.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,836 • Replies: 4
No top replies

littlek

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:11 pm
That's a wholw different world than the one I garden in.... how about bougainville?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 09:28 am
Have two huge bogainvillea trees which are now going dormant, although the more common cerise variety will bloom somewhat through the winter.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 09:31 am
Pansies
Pansies and more pansies.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 09:47 am
No sun in the back patio but I am planting them out front.
0 Replies