Can you tell the difference in the taste of brands of ketchup?

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:22 pm
@Irishk,
Worms are excellent source of ick! Embarrassed
Zetherin

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:22 pm
@dyslexia,
I wasn't the tagger as osso. pointed out. I just found it funny the way the OP tagged the thread - it's yet another stab at the philosophy group. Which is fine; we can take jokes too! Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:25 pm
@kickycan,
Quote:
Yes! In fact, I just threw away a jar of Hunt's ketchup because I like Heinz better. Hunt's sucks! Heinz is the king of the ketchups!

Senator Kerry thanks you for the endorsement and supporting his wife's trust fund.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
Heinz probably started that rumor...about the worms Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:30 pm
@Zetherin,
I don't think the op tagged it either, in fact I'm sure not.

Aren't I?

That's not Chai like. Chai is extremely straightforward. That is her beauty. No passive aggressive bone in her bod.

I'll guess Mark, but only a guess. So many phils shun ketchup talk, might call it hell.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Haha, oh, maybe it was spendius then Very Happy

Or maybe it was one of the old philforum members just trying to make a point.

Whatever the case, it was still funny.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:36 pm
@Zetherin,
Nah, Spendi specializes in thread breakdown (ok, not always), thus my post of a while ago, my sort of amusement at it and then re all the followup fooforaw with phils sniping in his wake, losing their renown for control.

Ok, ok, I agree the tags were funny.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:41 pm
@ossobuco,
the philosophy, not philosophy tagging on chai's threads predates both this one, and the philos arrival on planet a2k.

thought you'd wanna know...
Reyn

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:42 pm
@ossobuco,
No, chai did not tag this thread with that, as you can see HERE from her profile page.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:55 pm
@Reyn,
Ah, I didn't even know you could view what people tag - thanks for that.

Alright, after some careful research, I've discovered mark noble tagged the thread "Extremely Not Philosophy".

Alright, mark, I'm calling you out. Please comment on your favorite brand of ketchup.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 06:53 pm
@Rockhead,
Eek, yes. Here I was off blaming others. Strange, but I'll believe you. Thanks.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 06:56 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Chai will have a reason..

The politics of ketchup.

I can already see where party lines are being drawn.

You never really know someone, until you know their feelings on ketchup, I always say.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:18 pm
@chai2,
Umm... how can you tell someone's politics when a bunch of us claim not to know a difference?

Politically wise? I'm far from being a middle of the road independent if that's your possible drawn conclusion. I'm very liberal but I couldn't care if one spelled it catsup or ketchup or catchup.

I'm more concerned with the quality and seasoning of my French fries then what kind of ketchup I dip it into.
http://www.laobserved.com/biz/five%20guys.jpg
Five Guys French fries. Yummy!
dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
I saw that survey on MSNBC yesterday, it said 5 guys-best burgers----McDonalds- best fries.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:35 pm
I'm a taste tester. Tasted side by side, brands of ketchup and mayonnaise all offer differences. Most ketchups are ok. I really don't use ordinary ketchups but my son does.

The best mass market ketchup no longer is made: Brooks TangyKetchup.

Stonewall Kitchens Country Ketchup is the current best but hardly mass market.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:46 pm
@plainoldme,
If you had to choose a current mass market variety, though, which brand would you choose?
plainoldme

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:50 pm
@Zetherin,
Probably Heinz. Bought some supermarket brand, Central Market from Price Chopper. Most Central Market products are decent. The ketchup was awful! Almost felt sorry for my son, but, if he got a job, he could buy his own ketchup.
Zetherin

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 07:57 pm
@plainoldme,
I was hoping you said something other than Heinz. Eh, I guess I shouldn't expect much from mass market. I'll just make my own.
roger

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:29 pm
@dyslexia,
Misprint. That was MacDougal's fries.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 08:31 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

No. They're all too sweet. I finally bought some ketchup after about fifteen years, about a year ago, for one recipe (a certain pan fried noodle recipe). There it sits.

You should have just gotten some at a fast food joint Smile

Edit: And to answer the question, I bought Heinz for years because I was sold that it was the best; then I bought a no-name brand and frankly, I can't tell the difference. I mean, I'm sure there is one (diff recipes), but it's just fine. I don't use ketchup much; I use it mostly in recipes (bbq sauce, for example), so it's not a big enough issue for me to spend time on, but the bottom line answer is NO.

Edit again: Mayo, now, that's a totally different story. I Hate the taste of Miracle Whip and use Hellman's or No Name.