do you still wear a watch?

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:02 pm
apparently our younger generation relies on their cell phone for telling time. could the ordinary wrist watch be the next buggy-whip?

realjohnboy

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:04 pm
No, I'm not into time.
edgarblythe

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:04 pm
Well, I could never wear a watch. I was timeless, until the wife talked me into getting a cell phone. I broke the crystal on every watch that ever went on my wrist, within a week.
0 Replies

Reyn

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:09 pm
@dyslexia,
I have a wrist watch, but don't use it that often. When I do use it, it goes in my pocket, and not my wrist.

What's a cell phone? Something like this?

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/get_smart_shoe_phone.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:41 pm
when I was still working I had a pocket watch, I've never worn a wrist watch.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:44 pm
I carry a wristwatch in my pocket haven't worn won ages.
0 Replies

roger

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:49 pm
@dyslexia,
Of course. I don't know why a cell or pocket would be easier to get to - unless you spend your life standing up.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:53 pm
@dyslexia,
I always had such bad luck with watches. They tended ... no... always died on me rather quickly and yes I tried changing the battery on them. I also got my Dilbert pocketwatch thrown into the washing machine with the laundry (it was in my inside pocket of my jacket and my mother missed checking it when she thought my jacket could use a good cleaning. Poor Dilbert pocketwatch. I have never seen another one like it).

These days I use my cell phone for telling time.

I like watches but I'm picky when it comes to them. I wouldn't wear a cheap throwaway watch. It has to be a leather band because the metal expandable bands pull at my arm hair. And I'm picky about the aesthetics of the watch: the color of the band, the color of the watch face, and the design of the watch casing, etc....
ossobuco

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:53 pm
I had clocks going off all around me in my laboratory decades, and never wore a watch outside of work, except that I did have an alarm clock.

Time passed, I stopped with lab work, and my love of jewelry took over, and I've had watches that I wear since. Nothing very fancy, and I wear them rarely now. One of them is somewhat tasteful though from a thrift store, and the other is a man's Fossil, a big clunker that feels good on the wrist though probably looks garish. I don't care.

I don't use my cell phone to tell time.

I had a great pocket watch, my grandfather's, but it was stolen by one of two cokeheads that were either my business partner at the time's son, or the director of the theater group we sublet to. Anyway, that watch would have been too interesting and attractive to use anyway, unless I lived and covorted in some luxe locale.
roger

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
I couldn't wear an expandable metal band either. Mine is nylon with velcro closure. Installation is a piece of cake, too. Tell the chick at the jewelry counter in walmart that you will buy the band if she can get it on the watch.

So, how does the cell phone stand up to being laundered? Just curious.
tsarstepan

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:08 pm
@ossobuco,
As for alarm clocks, I'm happy that my cell phone makes a great alarm clock as well with it's 5 alarm settings (2 set for weekday mornings; 1 set for weekend mornings, and a couple of miscellaneous settings that change when I need to remind myself of certain appointments happening that day).

My two morning alarms are Debussy's Suite Berganasque: Prelude and Clair de lune.
tsarstepan

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:11 pm
@roger,
I can tell you I probably get better cell phone coverage in the washing machine then I do at work. Those b@stards at T-Mobile!! Mad

Been lucky with my cell phone and its lack of washing machine placement... so far!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
Neat!

(I've been using "neat!" lately, a word from the early sixties. I suppose I'm regressing.)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:21 pm
For some unknown reason I have always hated "clair de lune."
dyslexia

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:25 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

For some unknown reason I have always hated "clair de lune."
I feel the same way about everything Tchaikovsky composed.
tsarstepan

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:38 pm
@dyslexia,
Even the wonderfully bombastic 1812 Overture?
dyslexia

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Even the wonderfully bombastic 1812 Overture?
worst piece of trite noise making I ever heard. Sleeping Beauty is tolerable.
realjohnboy

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:51 pm
I played tympani in high school. I had long blond hair which I swirled about while pounding away during the 1812. I was quite the poseur. There ain't no tympani part in "clair de lune."
ossobuco

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:56 pm
@realjohnboy,
My boss used the 1812 at 5 a.m. to get back at his neighbors, since they wouldn't shut up when he called as he was writing a paper at two a.m.....
0 Replies

roger

Wed 18 Aug, 2010 05:46 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

worst piece of trite noise making I ever heard. Sleeping Beauty is tolerable.

That's kind of like saying Shakespeare's writing was filled with cliches, though. They weren't when he wrote them.
0 Replies