What does an omnipotent God need with a hell?

Intrepid

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:02 pm
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

If He, as you say, is imaginary then your whole thread is nothing but a ridiculous charade that needs no replies.

It is said that intelligent people can discuss things they do not believe in.
I guess I did not find one.

Regards
DL

Who says that? How can anyone be intelligent about something they know nothing about, as you clearly don't? And, don't bother trying to use scripture to backup your silly comments. You just pull out the same old lines that most athiests use. Try to come up with something worthy of your intelligence and not an insult to mine.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:09 pm
@Pronounce,
Frequently; even when I tell them "not to waste their time." They also tell me they pray for me.
BillRM

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Fairytale is more like it.

More like horror stories then fairytales.

We would cheerfully throw anyone who mistreated animals in prison for the kind of misdeeds that bible credit god for doing to mankind.
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

There are those of us who require more than a book written by men with too many errors and omissions that claims there is a god for it to have credibility.

It's "the word of god," the world flood, the earth's age as 7,000 years old, and all those miracles that were supposedly performed to show that god exists are claims with no reality to them. I make judgments about what I believe or don't believe based on my ability to decipher what can be true or not true, logic, common sense, and the intelligence "god" gave me.

Have you ever tried to prove a negative? It's not a matter of does god exist or not for me; I can't believe in any god who teaches revenge, killing, homophobia, and killing all life on earth because he's mad - save for the ones on Noah's Ark

Fairytale is more like it.

Your preaching to the quire.

My post just before your last said basically that I cannot prove the non existence of God so I'm not sure what you want with your post.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:56 am
@Intrepid,
Intrepid wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

Intrepid wrote:

If He, as you say, is imaginary then your whole thread is nothing but a ridiculous charade that needs no replies.

Regards
DL

Who says that? How can anyone be intelligent about something they know nothing about, as you clearly don't? And, don't bother trying to use scripture to backup your silly comments. You just pull out the same old lines that most athiests use. Try to come up with something worthy of your intelligence and not an insult to mine.

Then do not make unintelligent remarks.

I am not an atheist BTW.

Deist without a creator God would describe me best.
That is why I try to stick to moral issues instead of Gods that cannot be proven. Apotheosis or rapprochement is only good for the one who has that experience.

Regards
DL
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:56 am
@Greatest I am,
Which way do you want it? You wrote:
Quote:

Regards
DL

So you end up with:
Quote:

My post just before your last said basically that I cannot prove the non existence of God so I'm not sure what you want with your post.

Which way do you want us to respond? Your first "intelligent people can discuss things they don't believe in" or "Your preaching to the quire?"
Greatest I am

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 10:58 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Frequently; even when I tell them "not to waste their time." They also tell me they pray for me.

Then you should respond with the truth.

Praying is inherently a selfish act from the one doing the praying.

Regards
DL
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:01 am
@Greatest I am,
They will continue to do what they have been doing for over 60 years. There is nothing I can do to stop what is in their character, no matter how much I discourage it.
Greatest I am

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:01 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Which way do you want it? You wrote:
Quote:

Regards
DL

So you end up with:
Quote:

Which way do you want us to respond? Your first "intelligent people can discuss things they don't believe in" or "Your preaching to the quire?"

I respond to individual post basically thanks to my lack of memory.
There is usually some kind of flow to a dialog and if the other poster can't stay with the flow, it is tough.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

They will continue to do what they have been doing for over 60 years. I will not ask them to stop what is in their character.

For evil to grow, all good men need do is nothing.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:03 am
@Greatest I am,
I didn't say you were an athiest. I said you use the same old lines that athiests use. Reading comprehension helps. Especially for one as intelligent as you think you are.

Your insults do not bode well your your claims as a moralist.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:03 am
@Greatest I am,
At least be consistent. You only confuse with conflicting posts.
Intrepid

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 11:05 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

At least be consistent. You only confuse with conflicting posts.

There does seem to be a consistency to that.
0 Replies

Pronounce

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:12 pm
@Greatest I am,
Well said. God is unprovable using any tool we have that measures anything naturally. The scientific method can not and should not be used to prove God. While it is true that one can argue a case for God using Platonic methodologies it is not equally true that one could argue God using Aristotle methodologies.

This brings up another point. Too many scientists who are by nature are materialists make forays into the territory of idealism. Why do people (scientist included) abandon the areas they specialize in (having sound evidence) to make irrational statements about subjects they are less informed in? This happens way too much, and causes great confusion.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:13 pm
@Pronounce,
You throw around labels such as "materialists" without saying what's wrong with that label. How many on this planet are materialists?
Pronounce

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I for one would never ask you, or anyone for that matter, to believe a fairytale. I wouldn't myself, and couldn't expect anyone else to.

All the things you mentioned about the Bible is true to a degree. My issue is that people who often say these things are only getting the information second hand, and so for them it becomes their dogma and doctrine. It is best to make one's own informed opinion based upon true and honest research using methodologies prescribed by professionals in the field. The only danger with this is that the Bible can only truly be interpreted via the Holy Spirit. Unless one partners with God to read the Bible honestly the best that can be hoped for is a religion. And matter of fact that is exactly what you and others are railing against: Religion in all its glory.

The revenge, killing, homophobia and taking of life on Earth is just a product of religion; From Islam to Christianity to Santeria. Religion is anything but Truth and certainly not God. God by essence is Love, Peace, Joy, Kindness, Gentleness. Does that match up to anything religion is?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:35 pm
@Pronounce,
Pronounce, Good try. It's not necessary to do personal research when there are reams of research already completed by scholars and theologians. Even the Catholic Church has made modifications on the interpretation of the bible.

Your posts don't have much validity when you fail to answer questions, and then propose something ridiculous as you have suggested.
Pronounce

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah, labels suck, because no one really presents the label's definition in their entirety. We're all compositions. So I use the materialist label to define those points people whose beliefs line up under that heading.

I don't know how many materialists there are, because I don't know how many people believe in materialism. I suspect there are a lot of people in Western culture who believe that we're just a product of biology and nature and that there is no soul or spirit, when we die our matter returns to the pool to be recycled again. But the number is declining as Westerners become a post-modern society where more and more people are pantheist and believe in Mother Nature, Earth Godess, Gaia, and others are teaching witchcraft (sometimes as a class elective in school) using spirit energies and have spirit guides.
0 Replies

Pronounce

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If my arguments are not perfect don't be surprised, because I'm not. But one promise of a2k is that we can communally discuss ideas and via the process learn something new, or become more informed. That said I don't plan on resorting to the all too prevalent disparaging comments of some. These comments only serve to separate and never to bring together.

But regardless of the promise made by a2k and the sharing of knowledge some people are close minded and refuse to be open to new ideas. If that is the case with anyone on here then I refuse to waste my time replying. I'm willing to add my thoughts and understanding to the mix, but not going to get into an overly emotional confrontation that is bound to go no where. Remember the quote none is so blind as he who will not see. That is what I live by.

To respond to your comment that there is a lot of information out there I agree, and I also say there is a lot of bias and half-truths (you noted this when you brought up the Catholic Church, and so you're aware of what I'm saying). When so much material has been tainted by bias the only way to ferret out Truth is by honest research and study going deeper than a cursory reading of pop material or mass media.

As for failing to answer your question, I apologize and admit that I don't have all the answers.

As far as ridiculous, well that goes without saying for all of us, because we're all ridiculous to those who assume they know the truth and that we don't.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 02:39 pm
@Pronounce,
That's all part of learning to decipher the chaff from the chase. Personal observations are based on subjective conclusions that may or may not have any factual truth in them.

I only get frustrated with people who never provide outside, credible, evidence for their argument - believing that their personal opinion is the final authority. They never bother to see actual history or credible resources written by experts in their field or endeavor. They usually turn out to be broken records, believing that repetition has value.

I've always made it clear to people I disagree with that they are free to post any of my opinions that are misleading, outright lies, or is not backed by credible consensus. They usually never do. m I don't see anything wrong in asking for credible evidence for their opinion when they make statements that
flies in the face of "common knowledge." (or should be)
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 08:00:37