how to spell meat and dairy in yiddish?

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 06:44 am
I am trying to find how to spell the those word but i find many version on the internet. i need the spelling of the way the Jewish Americans using
thanks
lee
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 4,048 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 07:07 am
fleishig and milchig
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 07:10 am
@lee maoz,
The problem with the request is that both words have a guttural kh sound (sort of the like the Q in Al Qeda, actually), and there is no good English equivalent.

I always saw them as milchich and fleischich, with the ch's as the guttural sound. Personally I don't like that as I see the ch as being like in Charles, hence I use a kh. but that's me.
Roberta

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 07:14 am
@jespah,
jes, I agree that the final sound is more a ch, k, than a g. I looked the terms up, and found the g all over. What can I tell ya?
jespah

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 07:32 am
@Roberta,
Oy, your family is from one shtetl over, methinks.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 07:32 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I always saw them as milchich and fleischich, with the ch's as the guttural sound. Personally I don't like that as I see the ch as being like in Charles, hence I use a kh. but that's me.

The reason is that in the original "Jiddisch" (as spoken/written in Germany) it was a "g" like in the very same German words 'milchig' and 'fleischig'.

Roberta wrote:
I looked the terms up, and found the g all over. What can I tell ya?

The German 'g' (at the end of most words and here) is spoken very close to guttural "ch".
0 Replies

lee maoz

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2010 12:10 pm
thank you all.
if you had to wright those word on a product what will be the most popular \ acceptable way to spell it?
0 Replies