The card system in elementary schools

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 09:29 am
Has anyone else been exposed to the card system that was used in elementary schools in the 1970's, maybe even into the early 80's? I can't remember what they were called or who published them, but I'd like to know.

These were laminated cards with instructions, examples, and finally problems to solve and be graded on. There were cards for virtually every subject. Each student worked on these cards at his or her own pace. It allowed the teacher greater time to read romance novels during class and students who were not self motivated to get really behind.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,842 • Replies: 11
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 09:31 am
@chad3006,
What state and/or country did you grow up in?

I'm not familiar with this system and I grew up in Massachusetts and have not even a vague recollection of these testing tools. I went to elementary school in the mid1970's to the mid80's.
jespah

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 10:54 am
@tsarstepan,
I grew up in Pennsylvania and we had a system like that called SRA.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 11:16 am
@chad3006,
Yeah - I went to public school in NJ and we had SRA too. I loved them. You started out in the pastel colors (I believe I remember) and you went through to the deeper purple and red shades and into brown...and then at the end there was silver and gold.

Yeah - I loved them.

Then when we got to Junior Highschool we had math lab and social studies lab and science lab which you could go to during your free 'mods' - we had this schedule of 30 minute sessions and you might have two frees in a row so you had an hour that you could either spend in the library or in these 'labs' doing stuff like map work in the social studies lab and algebra problems in the math lab or play math games.

What a great system that was. It worked for me - I know that.
chad3006

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 07:05 am
@tsarstepan,
Texas, USA.

OK, so SRA was what they were called.
0 Replies

chad3006

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:13 am
@aidan,
Were they used to augment your curriculum or were they the curriculum?
jespah

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:24 am
@chad3006,
I dunno (it's, er, been 40 decades or so). I think we had other stuff, lectures and whatnot but can't be certain. I loved SRA. It was a great program for me.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:26 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
(it's, er, been 40 decades or so)

wicked!

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 11:03 am
@chad3006,
I had this SRA as well - and loved it too! It was only an addition to the curriculum. I believe it was supposed to help promote independent learning.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 12:10 pm
@chad3006,
They were used to augment the curriculum. I was very, very lucky in terms of the fact that I had really good, committed teachers throughout my schooling. I liked them so much - I decided to become one. School was fun and interesting for me. I was sad when it ended.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:39 pm
I had them too. There were sets of leveled books, too, I think....
0 Replies

55hikky

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2010 02:40 am
i forgot what they were called, but we had this huge box with like 200 booklets, each 3-10 pages long 4 levels of difficulty, and we had to do at least 2/week and and up to as much as you want... it has a short story, and some questions in the end. so i guess it was reading comprehension.
-55hikky

what's the purpose of this discussion? just ur curiosity of whether we remember this or not?
0 Replies