Has "Zero Tolerance" Gone Awry Again?

fishin

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:27 pm
Quote:
Gay mother bewildered over school punishment
Thursday, December 4, 2003 Posted: 2:14 PM EST (1914 GMT)

LAFAYETTE, Louisiana (AP) -- When Sharon Huff moved to this mid-size city six months ago, she felt she had found an ideal place to raise her 7-year-old son.

Huff, a personable 27-year-old waitress at a local steakhouse, had the normal worries of any fretful parent: Is Marcus playing too rough? Is he warm enough?

But on Wednesday, she had larger fears. It's been that way ever since Marcus got into trouble at school last month for telling another child his mother is gay. To Huff's bewilderment, that's exactly what it said on the form he brought home in his backpack.

Huff is divorced, lives with another woman, and thinks of herself as a regular mother.

She said it bothers her that the boy's school apparently felt she is something else -- so much so that they called him out in front of his classmates, according to the American Civil Liberties Union.

"This is not a gay issue. This is an issue about all children and prejudice," Huff said Wednesday.

For the complete story see:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/South/12/04/gay.mother.ap/index.html

Comments???
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,381 • Replies: 27
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:47 pm
Personally, I can see a school adminstration being concerned about the word "gay" being thrown about loosely or in a way that could harass or intimidate someone.

In this case the kid's mother IS gay though. Is he supposed to hide that?

Why is the school board waiting until the 11th to hold a meeting to discuss the issue. Issue the apology to the kid and accept that you went overboard!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:53 pm
The
Quote:
school board scheduled a special meeting for December 11 to discuss the matter. The meeting will be closed because of laws forbidding school officials to discuss a child's case in public.

Now isn't that odd, considering this:

Quote:
Marcus was scolded in front of his classmates, sent to the principal's office and barred from recess, the ACLU said. And he was ordered to attend "behavior clinic."

Both quotes pulled from fishin's article.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:57 pm
roger exactly right flail the 7yr old in public but hide the "adults" in private
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 01:57 pm
I think speaking to the child in front of classmates, and 'punishing' him was a serious error--BUT, think of the parents of the children, who had a bit of their 7 year old innocence chipped away.

There are two sides to this issue.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 02:07 pm
Sofia wrote:
I think speaking to the child in front of classmates, and 'punishing' him was a serious error--BUT, think of the parents of the children, who had a bit of their 7 year old innocence chipped away.

There are two sides to this issue.

Maybe so Sophia. But I don't think that was what the school was acting on here. To me is looks like political correctness gone overboard.

This is from the article (which only shows the monther's side of the story but..)

Quote:
Marcus is in trouble, the school official had said, for using "foul words" and "talking inappropriately." It was so bad, Huff remembers him saying, he "didn't feel comfortable" repeating them over the phone.

Is the word "gay" really all that bad? So bad that the vice-principle couldn't even repeat it to her on the phone? It looks like the focus was on the use of the word, not the explanation of what it meant. There is no mention of any shock or horror expressed by other parents.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 02:22 pm
OK, this is how the whole PC thing confuses me. I would think it would be more "PC" to allow the kid to say what he wanted about his mom being gay. Wasn't "Heather Has Two Mommies" held up as the epitome of PC?

It seems like the teacher is being anti-PC by, ya know, daring to take a stand to protect the innocence of 7-year-olds.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 02:36 pm
So is the kid supposed to lie to his classmates when they ask, "Why does your mom live with a woman?"
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 03:12 pm
If that's addressed to me, I was being TIC, referring to Sofia's comment.

My own take is that of course he should be allowed to say that his mom is gay, and what that means.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 03:19 pm
I can't believe that poor kid was punished for that. If I was gay and that was my kid, I'd be talking to lawyers!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 03:22 pm
I think all the anti-PC folks have just got on their bandwagon over this - I see no connection at all with the now un-PC PC.

Seems to me like you have a maybe not so sophisticated school where a teacher panicked when a kid made an explanation that clearly was just a simple fact of life to him, but freaked the teacher out - whether because of their own views, or lack of experience with the topic, or because they were worried about parents' reactions when their kids came home and talked about what they learned in school today.

Now, I would guess, the school is feeling monstered by the media spotlight and is worried about the implications of whatever they do. Not an unreasonable fear, in my view, once a media frenzy starts. It is a scary place to be, in that spotlight - tends to paralyze reason and common sense.

I don't think mama is doing anyone any favours by starting, or buying into, the frenzy, either. Just wants her little boy to get on with being a normal kid (or whatever the exact words were) huh? Flying him off to some stupid talkshow is unlikely to further that aim.

Er, perhaps it would help if the mother and the school and the kid just sat down and talked quietly about how to address and redress the situation.

But then, what do I know?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 03:26 pm
I am unsure if knowing that some people prefer to have same-sex partners is destructive of children's innocence, Sofia. Presumably most 7year olds have noticed that adults tend to like hanging around in pairs - I am unsure why knowing that some of these little clusters are same-sex is any less innocent than noticing that lots of them are opposite sex.

By that logic, we ought perhaps to hide from them that anyone likes to get together?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 03:38 pm
I'm just wondering, why the school is interested in the parent's life - what about children in children's homes: "I have three fathers and eleven moms."?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 03:45 pm
Good points by dlowan. I was being a little too snotty to make my point clear. (Several trashcans full of used kleenex will attest that I am nothing if not snotty these days.) (Apologies for TMI.)

In terms of this specific case, I think it's a no-brainer, of course the kid should be allowed to speak freely about the fact that his mom is gay and what that means.

What I find interesting, and wanted to comment on, is how "PC" finds its way into the discussion. So far, it reinforces for me the notion that the only definition of "PC" is "A silly semantic overreaction that I happen to disagree with." There is no empirical definition.

It seems like in this case, fishin' is saying it is PC because, what, there is a policy against saying the word "gay"? While I'm sure there are others (I don't want to ascribe this to Sofia from her brief comment) who feel like siccing the ACLU on that poor teacher's ass is high PC.

"PC", if it ever had meaning, has become meaningless.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 03:52 pm
I'm glad it happened.

When they make blanket rules and laws that apply to everyone and then they start applying blanket rules and laws to everyone....well maybe they'll stop making blanket rules and laws that apply to everyone.

:::Brought to you by a human being of the female gender who refuses to stop inhaling carcinogenic Philip Morris cigarettes, who will not wear the safety harness supplied for her well-being in her American-made automobile, and continues to play games of chicken with unwitting pedestrians in spaces marked "Vehicles Must Stop For Pedestrians by Mass State Law".:::

<I can hear the paddy wagon coming to get me now...ooops! Did I say 'paddy'? I meant ice cream truck....oops! Did I imply that getting arrested is light-hearted business? .....I meant Large Criminal Transport Vehicle.>
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:00 pm
Oh, PADDY is the objectionable part! I could never figure out why people get so worked up about the word "wagon" in this particular instance.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:47 pm
sozobe wrote:
It seems like in this case, fishin' is saying it is PC because, what, there is a policy against saying the word "gay"?

Ummm.. Just for clarification sake - It's the political correctness of the Zero Tolerance policies that I object to. Zero Tolerance policies seem to result in people over-reacting as it seems the school did in this case instead of looking at the events as they occur and acting as suits the circumstances require.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:29 pm
OK.

I'd be interested in finding out more about that part of the story. That's not the impression I've had so far, that it was a Zero Tolerance policy that prompted the teacher to act... my impression is more like dlowan's, that she had some sort of personal problem with it.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 07:21 pm
Just to clarify-- I think sex discussions are generally saved for a bit older age. And, I assume parents like to start off with the basics-- Being forced to start off with gay, rather than whatever their preferred starting point may be may be upsetting to many.

My point here is not anti-gay in the least. Its just that some of these conversations are really important to some parents, and they are rightfully upset that they have lost control over how to explain this to their children. Certainly don't want to string up the innocent child or his parents... Just wanted to show the other side.

Wouldn't ascribe PC to this one.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 07:50 pm
I take your point, Sophia, and others' as well. Somehow, the public scolding in front of classmates doesn't fit well with any valid point that I can even imagine.

Back to fishin's point. Yeah, zero tolerence policies get out of hand in a hurry. I often suspect they are pushed through by cowards afraid to take responsibility for exercising their own judgement - or lack thereof. So long as they conform to their own rules consistantly, they suppose themselves immune to criticism.
0 Replies