VERY Good philosophy educating books

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 05:53 pm
I might say I'm fairly good at my philosophy and all but I have only been scratching the surface of it for about 4 years, I would like to spend a lot more time on the subject and I was wondering if you could help me with any great books or sites regarding topic.

luburium

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 05:55 pm
@luburium,
My mistake, I doubted there was a reference section on this page but there was, but I am sure if you do not mind me hogging this section where there actually are Philosophers in it to help me out.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 06:41 pm
@luburium,
luburium wrote:

I might say I'm fairly good at my philosophy and all but I have only been scratching the surface of it for about 4 years, I would like to spend a lot more time on the subject and I was wondering if you could help me with any great books or sites regarding topic.
I don't quite understand this selfcontradiction. You are faily good at something you have only scratched the surface of?

There are many kinds of philosophy, which 1 excatly?
deepthot

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:04 pm
@luburium,
You may want to have a look at this one, in the field of Ethics:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/33811595/Ethical-Explorations

In its introduction it will give you links to two other books by the same author: A Unified Theory of Ethics
and Ethical Adventures. The three of them comprise a trilogy.
luburium

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:12 pm
@HexHammer,
1# Well first of I wanted to tell you that I am not a BAD Philosopher for being new, and the second part was only to tell you I have not read many books or read any history about Philosophy, I feel as if I want to create my own history instead of reading about others to create mine, I am sure great Philosophers did not really read books to know what they were doing, they just knew cause they were thinking in a different way.

#2 Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.

Philosophy exactly.

You will go, "- Oh but there are other areas of Philosophy blabla" well I mean original Philosophy, hence I did not add anything else to Philosophy.
HexHammer

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:16 pm
@deepthot,
deepthot wrote:

You may want to have a look at this one, in the field of Ethics:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/33811595/Ethical-Explorations

In its introduction it will give you links to two other books by the same author: A Unified Theory of Ethics
and Ethical Adventures. The three of them comprise a trilogy.
I would strongly advice NOT to fllow deepthot's suggestion, as it is simply stupidifying works of talkative nonsens. It's simpleminded babble with the same scientific height as medival supersticion at best.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:17 pm
@luburium,
luburium wrote:

1# Well first of I wanted to tell you that I am not a BAD Philosopher for being new, and the second part was only to tell you I have not read many books or read any history about Philosophy, I feel as if I want to create my own history instead of reading about others to create mine, I am sure great Philosophers did not really read books to know what they were doing, they just knew cause they were thinking in a different way.

#2 Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems concerning matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.

Philosophy exactly.

You will go, "- Oh but there are other areas of Philosophy blabla" well I mean original Philosophy, hence I did not add anything else to Philosophy.
So what you are saying, you are "good" only because you have studied philosophy for 4 years?
Jebediah

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:23 pm
@luburium,
luburium wrote:

I am sure great Philosophers did not really read books to know what they were doing, they just knew cause they were thinking in a different way.

Why do you think that? That's not true.
deepthot

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:29 pm
@deepthot,
I note that the linking system at scribd for PDF documents isn't that good, so go to this link instead and in the Preface you will find links that do work to get you to the Unified Theory of Ethics book; and to the Ethical Adventures (Part II of the theory). This Ethical Explorations is Part III of the theory: copy and paste this PDF file into your url box:

http://tinyurl.com/22ohd2x

Let me know if you found it to be a "good book." Okay?

0 Replies

luburium

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:37 pm
@Jebediah,
to Philosophize in the very beginning was not to read books about other peoples history and quotes, it was to really think of what matters and what doesn't, the very first Philosophers would surely just have liked to think about things and express it, they did not learn to be a Philosopher they were the one who learned people how to think like they did and they were the ones who wrote down their thoughts into their books for people to read.
HexHammer

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:42 pm
@luburium,
luburium wrote:

to Philosophize in the very beginning was not to read books about other peoples history and quotes, it was to really think of what matters and what doesn't, the very first Philosophers would surely just have liked to think about things and express it, they did not learn to be a Philosopher they were the one who learned people how to think like they did and they were the ones who wrote down their thoughts into their books for people to read.
You have an extremely interesting anology, maybe we are too inferior for your highly developed reasoning on this site, so it would be better to let your wisdom out on other sites than this.
luburium

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:44 pm
@HexHammer,
Don't you get it? Let's say that you and me are going to try out something new that we have no experience in whatsoever, And for some reason I am much better than you at it at the very start. That's what I mean by saying that I am pretty good for being new at it.
luburium

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:45 pm
@HexHammer,
I am just stating the obvious, unless you think that the first Philosopher just found a "Philosophical Thinking For Dummies" laying around.
0 Replies

mister kitten

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 07:52 pm
@luburium,
I have been reading Landscape of Wisdom: A guided Tour of Western Philosophy by Christopher Biffle. It a book of about 800 pages that covers Western philosophers and their philosophies from the pre-socratics to the modern ones. There are a few of Plato's dialogues when you read his section. I'm only on page 135, but the whole thing looks promising. I would definitely recommend it to you, luburium, and your philosophical journeys.
0 Replies

Jebediah

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 08:38 pm
@luburium,
luburium wrote:

Yes, and to be a doctor in the very beginning was to do weird chanting and stuff. But every philosopher since then has read what they can. You should do the same.
HexHammer

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 11:57 pm
@luburium,
luburium wrote:

Don't you get it? Let's say that you and me are going to try out something new that we have no experience in whatsoever, And for some reason I am much better than you at it at the very start. That's what I mean by saying that I am pretty good for being new at it.
That is just a empty claim.
Please bring evidence of your claim, I greatly doubt you.
Razzleg

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 12:16 am
@luburium,
luburium wrote:

The only problem i have in giving a decent introduction to philosophy is that any intro is slightly prejudicial...The only intro i can recommend that seems even slightly neutral is: the Republic by Plato, and the Symposium by the same (despite being by the same author, i don't think that they reach the same conclusion)..after those two you can pick up just about anybody and get some0one worthwhile...
0 Replies

55hikky

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 12:24 am
@luburium,
i'm glad you have found something you are interested in and feel that you are good at it. i hope you get even better at it and perhaps introduce a few threads here to enlighten even the most brilliant minds lingering in this site!! =]

this thread yielded a few negative criticisms of your initial thread, but let it hinder you not! i will be looking forward to any of your questions, hypothesis or theories you are willing to share for all of us to feast upon.
ughaibu

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 12:27 am
@luburium,
luburium wrote:
I was wondering if you could help me with any great books or sites regarding topic.
http://consc.net/people.html
http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/
http://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~kak7409/Linkspage.html
http://plato.stanford.edu/
0 Replies

luburium

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2010 01:17 am
@HexHammer,
Evidence for being a great in Philosophy? You must be joking, please take your doubts and negative criticism somewhere who actually wants to argue, I am just here to get some tips about Books that I could read to excavate my Philosophical vocabulary.