Water Softener Problem/Timer

Tyk

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 01:40 pm
My step-father and I recently replaced my Water Heater which had been leaking due to corrosion of it's 15 year existence =) The Water Heater itself has worked well over the past two weeks since the install, but my water softner is no longer functioning (it may have stopped prior to the water heater install, but I am not sure).

The unit is an old blue-colored softener and I believe it is made by Fleck as the timers shown here match the one on the tank:
http://www.softnerparts.com/category/1100.fleck/

The end-result that is visible is that the Timer is not functioning/turning/keeping time. I am able to "Turn" the dial and the unit engages once in "Rinse" mode. It does not seem to do anything though if I turn it only to "Regen" mode. What I am really unsure of and need some feedback on is if the timer can stop working due to other issues besides the timer going bad. If there is a plug will the timer stop? What else would cause the timer to "stop" functioning or does it always "function" unless it has gone bad?

Any advice on where/what to check would be greatly appreciated as I cannot afford a new water softener at this point. Some directions and ideas to try would be greatly appreciated to see if anything can fix the problem and have the timer begin functioning again. If the only choice is to replace the timer/softener, then that "must" would be appreciate even if saddening ;-)

-Ryan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,243 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Geno03245

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2010 11:45 pm
@Tyk,
The water softening mechanism can become clogged with sediment > water still passes through the pipe going to water heater, but the timer mechanism is frozen. It might be possible to clean out the timer, but every gear would have to be restored like new. If sediment is the problem, your next softener should have a simple sediment filter installed before water enters softener.

Until then, here's some information that could help you understand the new water heater.

Gas heater: If you have a gas water heater, and your water is hard, burner efficiency can be maintained using a water softener. But efficiency can also be maintained by flushing the water heater every 6 months using instructions in the manual, or from the web. Frequent flushing will buy you time until new softener can be installed. Without a softener, and without flushing, hard water calcium deposits will lower efficiency of gas water heater by 6-8% within 2 years. Once deposits coat combustion surface at bottom of tank, efficiency cannot be fully restored simply because no tool can effectively restore the combustion surface.

Self-cleaning tanks and self-cleaning dip tubes claim to help stop sediment build-up, but water heater forum articles generally dismiss 'self-cleaning' as ineffective long term.

Electric heater: If you have hard water and an electric water heater, then efficiency can be maintained using a water softener. Frequent flushing will also maintain efficiency if you do not have a softener. Without a softener and without frequent flushing, hard water deposits build up inside tank but do not affect efficiency until they reach lower element. Vacuuming out the sediment and replacing lower element restores full efficiency on electric water heater since the bottom of tank can remain coated with sediment without affecting lower element efficiency that sits several inches higher.

However, there is a down-side to your water softener. Artificially softened water dissolves the water heater anode rod faster than if you have no softener. Your new water heater manual should have a section about anode rods and softened water. Once anode rod is dissolved, the water heater tank begins to rust, leading to why you replaced the last heater. You can prolong the life of your water heater by periodic inspection and replacement of anode rod > the rule of thumb is inspect anode every 2 years if you have a softener > every 3-5 years without a softener. Tanks with longer warranties generally have two anode rods. Using knowledge and maintenance, water heaters can last a very long time. U-tube has a video on replacing anode rods. Another source is http://waterheatertimer.org/Replace-anode-rod.html
0 Replies