Rainsoft Resin Replacement

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 07:18 am
Anyone have advice about replacing the resin in a Rainsoft water softener? I have a Rainsoft Silver softener built in 2002 that's been off par lately. I had a one year old water heater serviced and about a half pound of lime was flushed out. Plumber explained older Rainsofts had carbon mixed in with the resin, which turned out to be not such a good idea. The unit seems to be working fine otherwise, so I'm thinking I will order up some standard cation resin to replace what's in the tank now. Good idea or should I just kick the old Rainsoft to the curb? Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,289 • Replies: 2
No top replies

setzerron

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 10:23 am
@setzerron,
Well, I went ahead and spent $100 for new resin. Relatively simple to do. Old stuff was opaque white with black bits (charcoal). New stuff shiny, golden and transparent. Cleaned the valve too. About two weeks with new resin, but doesn't seem to be 100 percent. Definitely better, but water doesn't have the expected "slimy" feel. Test strip indicated 3 grains of hardness. Seems to cycle OK; backwash, brine, etc., but just can't be sure it's working right. Any thoughts?
Joethewaterguy

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 11:55 am
@setzerron,
3 gpm is enough to make the soap suds go away. My first guess would be the seals inside the head are allowing a little bit of water to pass through untreated. also the piston could be scored allowing the same thing.
0 Replies