rhubarb pies: flour and juice don't mix well

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 11:55 am
I bake rhubarb pies, using a recipe that calls for 1 cp sugar and 6 tbsp flour with 4 cups chopped rhubarb. 1/4 of the flour-sugar mix goes on the bottom and the rest on top of the filling.

The flour-sugar on top of the filling sometimes 'cakes', not combining with the rhubarb juice.

Does anyone have suggestion as to how I can ensure that the dry ingredients combine well with rhubarb juice?

Thanks for any suggestions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,756 • Replies: 13

Mame

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 12:30 pm
@RalphBean,
use 1/4 c. cornstarch and 2 T of flour - that should do it.
Mame

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 12:30 pm
@RalphBean,
use 1/4 c. cornstarch and 2 T of flour - that should do it, plus the sugar, of course. And if you dot it with about 2 T. of butter, that'll help.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 02:08 pm
@Mame,
I was going to say the same thing. Of course, my measurements are usually in terms of "till it looks right".
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 03:12 pm
@RalphBean,
mix the sugar and rhubarb juice with the flour and turn it into a milky solution, dint your mama tell you how to make this?

Anyway, you need some flavor in that pie, its gonna taste like seet and sour **** with no flavor. Id add a big scoop of strawberry jelly or orange marmalade and some ginger very thinly sliced (or else candied ginger).
plainoldme

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 03:21 pm
I am a pie baker but I can not tolerate the taste of corn starch in pies . . . or the look of it, for that matter. I was going to say what farmer man said. Mix the sugar and flour together first: sugar helps dissolve things.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 03:25 pm
@farmerman,
That's what I was going to say, except that I don't make pie all that often - I mean, I was going to say about mixing with the juice, as in why would you not...

the add ons sound good to me...

(also, welcome to a2k, ralph bean.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 03:54 pm
Why wouldn't you do that? Because there's virtually no rhubarb juice until you start to bake it, that's why. And if you add other juice, you're going to have to use a lot more flour because rhubarb is very juicy, n'est-ce pas?
Green Witch

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 04:04 pm
I'm with Farmerman on this. You could also add a little fine grain tapioca as thickener.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 04:37 pm
@Mame,
Mame's got it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 04:48 pm
@RalphBean,
I've made this recipe several times with success using corn starch and also using arrowroot in place of corn starch. I usually use half sugar and half Splenda rather than only sugar. Last year I tried it with blueberries rather than strawberries and enjoyed it.

Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie

Ingredients and Equipment
(per 9 inch deep dish pie)

3 Tablespoons corn starch (in England it's called "corn flour") (arrowroot starch or mini-ball tapioca can be used in stead of the corn starch, in the same quantity)
2 cups rhubarb
2 cups strawberries
6 Tablespoons flour
1 and 1/2 cups (1.5 cups) granulated sugar (ordinary table, organic, raw or even the same amount of honey) OR
for those on sugar-restricted diets: 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup Splenda (Splenda works in pie recipes, but not by itself. The pie turns out heavy and with much less flavor; you can do it, if you must, but the results aren't as good).
1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated orange zest (fresh or dried) Just rub an orange against a fine cheese grater, to remove the thin outer layer of the peel. Or just buy the dried grate orange peel at the grocery store.
9 inch pie graham cracker crust (grocery stores sell both disposable pie pans and glass pans. Get the deep dish type! If you'd rather make your own (they are MUCH better home made) then see this page about how to make a graham cracker pie crust).

Step 1- Wash the rhubarb and strawberries
Just wash them in cold water, no soap. .

Step 2 - Cut up the rhubarb and remove the strawberry hulls.
Rhubarb varieties differ - if the type you have has a tough outer skin, peel it off. You can tell if it is tough if it peels off easily as a thin skin. You'll then need to remove the ends of the rhubarb - the tough part that connects to the plant (as show at left) and then dice the stalks into 1/2 inch pieces.
The strawberries only need to have the hulls removed and if they are very large, cut them in half.

Step 3 - Mix the dry ingredients

Combine the sugar, flour, corn starch, vanilla extract and grated orange zest / peel in a bowl.

6 Tablespoons flour
3 Tablespoons corn starch (in England it's called "corn flour")
1 and 1/2 cups (1.5 cups) granulated (ordinary table) Sugar
1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
And mix them well!

Step 4 - Add the rhubarb and strawberries and mix
Add the rhubarb and strawberries to the dry mix and mix them up well.

Step 5 - Prepare the pie crust. Now is a good time to get the oven preheating to 425 F.

Step 6 - Pour the pie filling into the crust
Sprinkle a 4 or 5 tablespoons of the sugar-spice-etc. mixture into the pie crust and place a layer of rhubarb-strawberry slices, one slice deep, on top of that. Use any pattern you like, just keep them snug so the air space is minimized. Just repeat layering until the pie is filled. Any remaining sugar can be sprinkled on top!

Step 7 - Put the pie in the oven!
Bake the pie at 425 F for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down and bake at 375 F for another 45 minutes. Let it cool to room temp then refrigerate to allow it to firm up! Or eat it warm with vanilla ice cream!

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 08:49 am
@Mame,
we usually cook the rhubarb and then add all the fresh berries or peaches . Youre right that they dont give off much juice until being cooked.

I really HATE rhubarb pies. even a great strawberry rhubarb crumb cobbler sucks.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 08:57 am
@farmerman,
My Great Aunt Belle was fabu cook and made terrific rhubarb pie. She made straight rhubarb. Her secret was to soak the rhubarb in brine first but I have since seen that step pooh-poohed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 10:06 am
@Mame,
Thanks..
0 Replies